John Prine tribute cd

Thanks for posting this. I do love John Prine and will check this out for sure. I have to say, my heart skipped a beat when I saw the mention of "tribute"--I feared the worst. Very glad to see it's just a tribute rather than a memorial!

wow...this does look good. Due June 22nd.

Here is the complete tracklisting:

1) Justin Vernon of Bon Iver – “Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow)”

2) Conor Oberst And The Mystic Valley Band – “Wedding Day In Funeralville”

3) My Morning Jacket – “All The Best”

4) Josh Ritter – “Mexican Home”

5) Lambchop – “Six O’Clock News”

6) Justin Townes Earle – “Far From Me”

7) The Avett Brothers – “Spanish Pipedream”

8) Old Crow Medicine Show – “Angel From Montgomery”

9) Sara Watkins – “The Late John Garfield Blues”

10) Drive-By Truckers – “Daddy’s Little Pumpkin”

11) Deer Tick featuring Liz Isenberg – “Unwed Fathers”

12) Those Darlins – “Let’s Talk Dirty In Hawaiian”

Looks like a ton of great bands on that CD, but unfortunately I've never listened to John Prine! Any suggestions on a good place to start?

I would recommend Bruised Orange. Not only one of his best, one plain old great album.

Looks like a ton of great bands on that CD, but unfortunately I've never listened to John Prine! Any suggestions on a good place to start?

For John Prine, I'd recommend starting with a "Greatest Hits" collection and then going back and checking out the albums that include the songs that stand out to you. Not that his albums are bad - just helped me get into him a few years back when I saw him mentioned on the board and I had never heard of him either.

Way too many great songs on this: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Days-John-Prine-Anthology/dp/B000003329/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271107164&sr=8-10

Way too many great songs on this: http://www.amazon.co...1107164&sr=8-10

This collection is amazing. A bit pricey, but worth it if you are serious about John Prine.

Also, a strange, but great album is 'In Spite of Ourselves' All cover duets with amazing women (Iris DeMent, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, and more)

Someone once said something to the effect of John Prine in his 20s wrote like he was in his 60s, and it was meant in a very complimentary way. He's got a way with it.

This looks like a nice tribute album.

It was only last night a friend and I were talking about how life was much sweeter when simple. She then sang the chorus from Spanish Pipedream. It really hit the spot:

Blow up your T.V. throw away your paper

Go to the country, build you a home

Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches

Try and find Jesus on your own

• 1 month later...

Looks great. But... nobody did "Illegal Smile"?

i'm glad no one did Illegal Smile. one of the few Prine songs i just don't like very much.

Guess you had to be there!! One of my faves too.

I would recommend any of the first three Atlantic records. Those are the ones that made him famous and many of the songs were covered by singers who were his peers. Bruised Orange is a good record, but I would start with those others first.

His best later album is The Missing Years.

Listen for the incredible Steve Goodman on guitar on the early albums.

LouieB