So I have just for the first time ever, canceled my cable. I am going tv-less for the summer! Just wondering how many other VC'ers don't watch the ol' boob tube and what do you do with your time? I am going to be concentrating on playing guitar so when Jeff eventually asks me on stage to play with him, I can.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Television rules our lives in my house. The lady and I don't do anything else if we're home. It's kind of sad, really.

I had gone 6 months without cable once, but still had the basic channels. The only things I ever watched were Cubs games on WGN and Wheel of Fortune, weeknights at 6:30. The rest of my time I spent playing guitar, cooking actual meals (as opposed to microwaving dinner), and exercising. It was probably the best 6 months of my life in terms of the overall rhythm of life - I was increasingly more productive in a number of facets of life. When you don't have the tube to just throw on instantly, you get a chance to really focus on cleaning one day a week, or doing laundry on a certain day every week, or making phone calls to old friends to catch up. It's very liberating.

All that said, I do love television.

I watch very, very little TV. I'm also not a late night person. So, between cooking, cleaning (usually just the kitchen...I don't put much effort into cleaning other rooms), taking the dog for a long walk, arguing ("talking") with the kids (all teenagers +), or just talking with my wife, I don't have a lot of do-nothing time after work and before I go to bed. When I do sit down, I usually pick up a book.

The only shows I watch that are actually ON tv where I live (off the coast of Nova Scotia)are Coronation Street and Lost. They can both easily be downloaded. I'm just trying to cut out the mindless sitting and flicking through the channels in the hopes that something is on that I like. It very rarely is.

PS - No Coronation Street jokes!

Coronation Street

My girlfriend is addicted to this show. She's able to watch it because we get CBC on our cable system, being close to the Canadian border. We're hoping to switch from Comcast to AT&T U-Verse (if AT&T ever gets our street up and running on that service), but I don't think U-Verse includes CBC, which may cause her to veto the whole U-Verse idea.

TV doesn't rule in my house nearly as much as music does, but I ereally enjoy watching baseball games and I need to record/dvr every episode of Jeopardy. There are very, very few shows I like outside of this stuff (Deadliest Catch being one and it's only on for a few months/year).

My kids do a lot of movies on the dvd player, which I have no problem letting them do after homework is done, esp. in the winter months.

ed. Plus, t.v. makes a great temporary babysitter for when I need a break/cooking dinner/etc.

I've never done the no tv thing, but I try to stick to only the shows I know I like and avoid vegging out or channel surfing in front of the tv.

There's a guilty pleasure type of show I usually watch with my wife on Tuesday nights, but in recent weeks I've been getting together with some old bandmates on Tuesdays to make up some new songs. It's a much better feeling to have spent a couple hours trying to create something, rather than speding that time watching a tv program. Once you miss a few episodes of a show and get a verbal recap, you realize how repetitive and unnecessarily long most tv shows are.

I get very little pleasure from watching tv by myself (unless it's something like a "Classic Albums" episode). If I lived alone, it'd be easy to do without a tv.

My girlfriend is addicted to this show. She's able to watch it because we get CBC on our cable system, being close to the Canadian border. We're hoping to switch from Comcast to AT&T U-Verse (if AT&T ever gets our street up and running on that service), but I don't think U-Verse includes CBC, which may cause her to veto the whole U-Verse idea.

CBC does offer them online now, although I'm not sure if they are available for you US type folk yet. PS - Corrie stuff makes a great, unexpected gift for a lady!

I've been cable free for six years and honestly my mind feels less bogged down. I go to my sisters' homes and they have the round-the-clock news on or one of those reality shows and I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. I don't miss it and after awile you may look back and realize how big of a waste it is. The only things I watch on my television are dvds, PBS and Craig Ferguson a couple times a week. I read alot more and I write, but still not as much as I should.

I have a major problem with basketball on tv. Last weekend I watched close to 5 full NBA games. I live alone and have no life.

I've been cable free for six years and honestly my mind feels less bogged down. I go to my sisters' homes and they have the round-the-clock news on or one of those reality shows and I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. I don't miss it and after awile you may look back and realize how big of a waste it is. The only things I watch on my television are dvds, PBS and Craig Ferguson a couple times a week. I read alot more and I write, but still not as much as I should.

Cable free for 5 years. We have 2 shows we watch regularly, and I check out PBS from time to time. Don't miss it for a minute (ok, ok, now that the first round of the baseball playoffs are on TBS or TNT or some other ridiculous cable station, I do miss it then), and I am thrilled that my kids are not growing up with it. The last five years have been more balanced around the house as a result of less TV. Now if I could do something about the 3 laptops in our house....

I watch plenty of TV, but don't have cable, so don't get any of the good stuff.

LouieB

And I just learned that the "basic package" I subscribe to (and pay $15 a month for) is exactly what I'd be getting if I had a digital converter instead. Fuck cable companies.