Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band - The Mountain

ok, so i watched this really depressing but well acted movie netflix recommended me tonight called "you can count on me," and the soundtrack was pretty good, if not eclectic. it was a mix b/w classical cello playing a bach piece interlaced with some americana, like the v-roys, loretta lynne, and steve earle. well, i did some research b/c i liked what i heard...long story short, i came across a couple tracks on this lp called "the mountain" by steve earle the del mccoury band. everything i read about it seemed to glow.

which leads me to my real point of this thread: what is your opinion of this? i have known of steve earle for a long while now, and i've actually seen him in concert (at a festival), but i've never really given him any time. so, if the mountain is a good representation of his stuff, should i start there? or where else should i start?

the mountain is bluegrass Earle, and it is indeed excellent...especially the title track...an American classic. will be covered on back porches in 100 years.

the best representations of Earle sound are probably Transcendental Blues, which is a good mix of all of his styles and his best album, I Feel Alright, or El Corazon. Start there and work your way through his other stuff. Guy is a great, great songwriter.

I saw Earle with the Del McCoury Band touring on that record. Absolutely fantastic show.

As for whether it's a good representation of this stuff ... no, not really. But it's not a bad place to start, imo.

I saw Earle with the Del McCoury Band touring on that record. Absolutely fantastic show.

As for whether it's a good representation of this stuff ... no, not really. But it's not a bad place to start, imo.

yes, ditto on this. It was great to see but I strongly prefer his non-bluegrass stuff. I agree with the recommendations above but would also add his latest Townes Van Zandt tribute. Amazing stuff.

Train a Comin' is a great album. Also I Feel Alight and El Corazon. Hell pretty much everything he put out is great.

The first time I heard El Corazon was at Lounge Ax waiting for Tweedy to perform a solo show. I got there early and they had the CD on. They played it twice. Christmas in Washington and Taneytown are two of my favorites of his.

The biography, Hardcore Troubadour: The Life and Near Death of Steve Earle, is a great read. Del McCoury was not a fan of Earles foul language.

Del McCoury puts on a hell of a show. I saw him a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed the night.

The one chance I had to see Steve in town was a day that my parents were visiting about 8 years ago and he hasn't been back since. I love his records. Check them all out.

Personally, I don't know if " The Mountain" is where you should start although it's a worthy selection. I think he's an American treasure. I have just about all his releases,including live shows,demos,B-sides etc.So, I find some redeeming qualities in almost all his stuff.I don't know if there is a definitive place to start.But,I'd add "Copperhead Road" to your list as well as "The Revolution Starts Now".

Steve has different eras. Early stuff, which gets good at copperhead road. The comeback after prison is realized with el corazon. Then the political records which are touch and go. Now it's kind of a mixture with a dose of love songs as a result of his hot wife. I thought the Townes tribute had too much of earle's slurring. El Corazon is where to start.

my fave earle albums:

i feel alright

transcendental blues

washington square serenade

el corazon

guitar town (awesome album but the mix/production is horrible)

the live album: just an american boy

Steve has different eras. Early stuff, which gets good at copperhead road. The comeback after prison is realized with el corazon. Then the political records which are touch and go. Now it's kind of a mixture with a dose of love songs as a result of his hot wife. I thought the Townes tribute had too much of earle's slurring. El Corazon is where to start.

um, earle's always had love songs (though maybe not as lovey/dovey as now. i personally really like his love songs. i don't like most of his political stuff. seems like he tries to hard)

many thanks to you all for chipping in. i highly respect your opinion, so thanks for all your input! seems like he has some great stuff...this will give me a new artist to exlore.

"The Mountain" is a great album.

I saw Steve Earle perform at ACLF in 2007 (I think) and half his set included a DJ!?!

I kind of lost interest in his current output after that. It just didn't feel right to me. Maybe he's dropped the DJ bit, but I wouldn't know.

Going back to your original post, if you haven't already steeped yourself in The V-Roys, they're a great, but short-lived band. Just 2 essential albums to pick up: "Just Add Ice" and the "All About Town." Steve Earle produced one or both of these records (not sure) and they were on top of the alt.country (whatever that is) scene for a short while.

I have the following:

Train A Comin'

I Feel Alright

Steve Earle & Supersuckers

El Corazón

The Mountain (with Del McCoury Band)

Transcendental Blues

Jerusalem

For some odd reason, I lost interest in his albums. I don't think I have listened to them in years.

I have a CD that someone gave me from the Mountain Stage program that was recorded at the time of The Mountain album release. It's fantastic. And the tune he did for the guy he befriended on death row almost out-Prine's Prine. God, what a tearjerker that one is.

i saw earle last year and it's really sad how bad his new songs are

but for a while there, a long while, the guy was as good as anybody

brilliant songwriter and performer

:unsure What new songs are you referring to? His recent albums are generally recognized as very solid albums. I can understand that you don't like them but "sad how bad" the new songs are?

Jerusalem is the only album I don't like much.

:unsure What new songs are you referring to? His recent albums are generally recognized as very solid albums. I can understand that you don't like them but "sad how bad" the new songs are?

Jerusalem is the only album I don't like much.

sorry, i didn't write down any song titles

but i think most of them were from Washington Square Serenade

and they weren't "generally recognized" by anybody in the venue as very solid, sorry

and i love earle

I think The Mountain is a really weak album in the Earle catalogue. It isn't bad, but it isn't his best either. Needless to say, the Del McCoury band is great all by itself. Apparently after all was said and done the two groups didn't really get along that well.

I would agree with those who say that Washington Square isn't so great. I enjoy Townes though, but then again how do you screw up that kind of material.

LouieB

I really enjoyed seeing Steve Earle & Del McCoury Band all over my TV when this was a new release. It seemed like they were on some show or another every weekend for a month or two.

I don't like any of Steve Earle's other records, but if I owned The Mountain I'd probably listen to it regularly.

def agree that the mountain isn't his best. apparently i'm the only person who likes washington square. there are some great songs on there. i think it's far better than his last 2 though (especially the revolution. that album sucks minus one or two songs).

Going back to your original post, if you haven't already steeped yourself in The V-Roys, they're a great, but short-lived band. Just 2 essential albums to pick up: "Just Add Ice" and the "All About Town." Steve Earle produced one or both of these records (not sure) and they were on top of the alt.country (whatever that is) scene for a short while.

ya know, the v-roys are/were from right here in knoxville-town...i missed them though. i have seen scott miller a couple times here and wished i had more of his material so i could recognize it when he played.

thanks for the advice on the v-roys albums!

def agree that the mountain isn't his best. apparently i'm the only person who likes washington square. there are some great songs on there. i think it's far better than his last 2 though (especially the revolution. that album sucks minus one or two songs).

Not a big fan of Washington Square, but you are correct that it is better than the last couple. (Minus Townes which was after...)

LouieB

Not a lot of love for Washington Square which is a shame. I really like that album and play it a lot. The Mountain is another one I love. I wasn't too fond of Revolution and to be honest the Townes album kind of leaves me cold as well. Having said that, when I saw him play solo a few months ago the songs from that album came alive for me in a way the studio versions never did.