Now Playing: September, 2010

516MM3yiw4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

What do you think of this one? I've been wanting to get a little deeper into the Maytals' discog (after Funky Kingston and In the Dark), but don't really know where to go next.

This a good one?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think of this one? I've been wanting to get a little deeper into the Maytals' discog (after Funky Kingston and In the Dark), but don't really know where to go next.

This a good one?

Yeah, it's a great album. Easily as good as the those two you've got. I'd suggest you get either this or Monkey Man, and make sure you get the Trojan Reissues, because they've got loads of bonus tracks that are hard to find anywhere else.

I mean, if you want i can do you a little mix of the best tracks from them both, if you want to hear what they are like. The only other one I'd say get is Sweet And Dandy, but I haven't got that one myself - it's really hard to get hold of, so if you do see it, grab it!

Let me know if you want that mix

Yeah, it's a great album. Easily as good as the those two you've got. I'd suggest you get either this or Monkey Man, and make sure you get the Trojan Reissues, because they've got loads of bonus tracks that are hard to find anywhere else.

I mean, if you want i can do you a little mix of the best tracks from them both, if you want to hear what they are like. The only other one I'd say get is Sweet And Dandy, but I haven't got that one myself - it's really hard to get hold of, so if you do see it, grab it!

Let me know if you want that mix

Oh, I'll just pick up the albums. That is, unless they are really hard to find/expensive.

The Trojan reissues... thanks!

Oh, I'll just pick up the albums. That is, unless they are really hard to find/expensive.

The Trojan reissues... thanks!

actually i just looked for them on amazon, and here ya go . . .

monkey man (with bonus tracks)

get this one if you're choosing between the two. the bonus tracks have "sweet and dandy", "monkey girl" (which is my fav song they've done), "bam bam", and well actually all the bonus tracks are fantastic. the actual main album is also slightly better than "from the roots" and you do get a few cross-overs of songs, although different versions.

from the roots (with bonus tracks)

actually both are quite cheap - so get them both! i am sure when these are sold out they'll be a fortune to buy second hand

edit. damn sorry that was amazon uk - i forgot you're in america

http://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Man-Maytals/dp/B000095J73/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285267594&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Maytals/dp/B0000TWMH0/ref=sr_1_3?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285267662&sr=8-3

Just bought Monkey Man.

I'll get From the Roots after my next paycheck (and after my birthday, when I'll probably get some birthday cash)!

Thanks for the advice!

Just bought Monkey Man.

I'll get From the Roots after my next paycheck (and after my birthday, when I'll probably get some birthday cash)!

Thanks for the advice!

i'm sure you'll love it. basically, another bit of advice would be anything leslie kong produced is worth getting. i've just found this list online for you: leslie kong productions actually that list is pretty incomplete

you've already got jimmy cliff, and probably know desmond dekker and the aces, but the other one i'd say get is best of the wailers forget about what you think bob marley and the wailers sound like, this is before the reggae days. it's a brilliant album

edit. also another one to look out for from leslie king is ken boothe. you might find actually getting a compilation of the kong productions of beverley's records might be the way to go, although i don't actually know if any of that is in print either.

np.

Edwin_Starr_and_Blinky_comp_Warren_Moor-_3.jpg .... 0000138404_350.jpg

Edwin Starr & Blink - Just we Two

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis in Chicago

Just "shuffle" in my iTunes now. That is, unless a new CD arrives in my mailbox before the end of the day.

The last 10 songs:

Pressure Cooker - Bollweevils

Low Budget - Ray Davies

The Crowd - Operation Ivy

Stove - The Lemonheads

A.T.H.F. (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) - Dangerdoom

Open A Can Of Human Beans - Andy Partridge

Crosshairs - Dangerdoom

What Do You Want Me To Say - The Dismemberment Plan

Down In The City - The Sea And Cake

Mail Box - Frankie Miller

I've been spinning these ones today:

szabo_gabor_jazzraga~_101b.jpg 24-Carat_Black-Gone_The_Promises_Of_Yesterday_b.jpg 36849805.jpg CC-TI.JPG

Gabor Szabo - Jazz Raga

24-Carat Black - Gone: The Promises Of Yesterday

Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood

Clarence Carter - This Is Clarence Carter

I've been spinning these ones today:

szabo_gabor_jazzraga~_101b.jpg 24-Carat_Black-Gone_The_Promises_Of_Yesterday_b.jpg 36849805.jpg CC-TI.JPG

Gabor Szabo - Jazz Raga

24-Carat Black - Gone: The Promises Of Yesterday

Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood

Clarence Carter - This Is Clarence Carter

jazz raga sounds intriguing. gonna go check that out right now! :cheers