GNR gets bottled off stage

I take back my hyperbole about Irish fans being polite in a previous VC thread!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hByCwU319vO3k_Derzikwi663fFwD9HVVOF82

Axl Rose tries Dublin's patience, sends crowd home

By SHAWN POGATCHNIK (AP)

DUBLIN — Axl Rose, it seems, needs a little more patience - and a much louder alarm clock.

The 48-year-old singer of U.S. hard-rock band Guns N' Roses irritated thousands of his Dublin fans at the 02 Arena on Wednesday night by showing up nearly an hour late - a recurring problem on his band's European tour - and then walking off after an unruly minority in the crowd hurled water bottles on the stage.

Most of the fans left, but Irish concert promoters MCD wouldn't let Rose leave until he finished the gig. The band went back on stage an hour later to a mostly empty venue and didn't stop playing until nearly 1 a.m.

MCD and the 02 issued a joint statement criticizing Rose for having "a long history for being late on stage," but emphasized that "no artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them."

Rose's patience snapped after he warned the crowd to stop throwing things on stage.

"Here is the deal. One more bottle up here and we go. We don't want to go. Your choice," he told the crowd during an abrupt break to the band's second song, "Welcome to the Jungle."

But when introducing his other band members before a following number, up came another bottle - and off Rose went to a chorus of boos. "OK, that's it. Good night. Have a nice evening," he said.

Politicians called on the promoters to refund tickets that cost an average of ?72 ($92). MCD declined to say whether anyone would get their money back.

"Reports say that the lights came on and the security people told concertgoers to go home. Confusion reigned and thousands of fans had left by the time the band came back again on stage to complete their set," Irish senator Michael McCarthy said.

Rose is the only remaining original member of Guns N' Roses, which was founded in Los Angeles in 1985 and achieved chart-topping successes with its first two albums, "Appetite for Destruction" in 1987 and the double-album "Use Your Illusion" in 1991.

The band effectively collapsed in the mid-1990s and Rose became a Malibu semi-recluse. He re-emerged in recent years with a completely new band that, after missing a decade of production deadlines, unveiled the album "Chinese Democracy" in 2008. It has received generally positive reviews but sold poorly compared to the band's heyday.

The European tour has been marred by late starts.

At the first stop Aug. 27, an open-air festival in Reading, west of London, Guns N' Roses arrived an hour late and had their microphones and amplifiers cut off by organizers during their encore.

Two nights later in the northern English city of Leeds, Guns N' Roses again was ordered to cut its performance concert a half-hour short because of an hour-late start. The tour has 22 cities in 13 more countries to go.

Such tardiness is nothing new for Rose. Guns N' Roses kept Irish fans waiting two extra hours during its 1992 European tour.

What did they expect? It's not like this is surprising behavior or not indicative of the GNR-experience. If someone buys a GNR ticket, one would have to assume that the show starting late would be an implied risk at this stage of the game. No one to blame but themselves.

yeah, it's funny the article says that starting late has been a problem on the current european tour. it's been chronic problem for gnr since the beginning. why does anyone give a shit about this asshole?

I'm curious to know the actual paid attendance vs. capacity of the arena.

Beyond "Sweet Child O' Mine," which was a damned fine single, and perhaps "Welcome To The Jungle" (perhaps not), I've never understood the appeal of this band.

GnR were as good a RnR (?thread title) band as I've ever seen.Saw them twice live around that time and the shows were smokin. Late 80s/very early 90s they were on fire. It's not Metal, but Rock in the vein of 70s era Stones but edgier.

Beyond "Sweet Child O' Mine," which was a damned fine single, and perhaps "Welcome To The Jungle" (perhaps not), I've never understood the appeal of this band.

This.

Not sure there was ever a bigger tool and more over rated singer in rock than Axl.

This.

Not sure there was ever a bigger tool and more over rated singer in rock than Axl.

Yep he's a tool. Overrated? Not sure he's really rated. The combo of his squawk and Slash's guitar and Duff's bass made for an excellent mix, imo. Izzy Stradlin was pretty decent, too, even in his solo stuff. I fought off GnR for a while when they came out and then succumbed.

Yep he's a tool. Overrated? Not sure he's really rated. The combo of his squawk and Slash's guitar and Duff's bass made for an excellent mix, imo. Izzy Stradlin was pretty decent, too, even in his solo stuff. I fought off GnR for a while when they came out and then succumbed.

I know I'm overly harsh about them. Just one of those singers who gets on my nerves. I like the music alright and really like Slash, Duff, an Izzy. It was mostly the constant whistling, and humming and saying "ay, ay, ay". He just never seemed to have a sense of when he didn't need to be making any noise. He does sound good on Sweet Child and a few others though. I find Knockin on heavens door and a few others just absolutely unlistenable.

Is Tommy Stintson still involved?

yep, unfortunately. from youtube, it looks like he gets a song per show on this tour -- either "my generation" or "sonic reducer"

on the bright side, he's still involved with Soul Asylum and is supposedly finishing up his second solo album. So drawing a consistent paycheck from Axl, Inc. all these years hasn't been all that bad.

It's also given him the means to do stuff like this. http://content.usato...nterstitialskip

• 2 weeks later...

Rose's patience snapped after he warned the crowd to stop throwing things on stage.

"Here is the deal. One more bottle up here and we go. We don't want to go. Your choice," he told the crowd during an abrupt break to the band's second song, "Welcome to the Jungle."

But when introducing his other band members before a following number, up came another bottle - and off Rose went to a chorus of boos. "OK, that's it. Good night. Have a nice evening," he said.

Ha ha, what a fucking tool. This passage reminds me of the "who threw that stone" from the Life Of Brian. No one is to stone anyone, until I blow this whistle!

I find it hard to believe there was thousands there either. A friend of mine had a ticket and I persuaded him to sell it on and use the money to go see local singer Mick Flannery. He was very glad he took my advice.

• 1 year later...

So strange, but that isn't a new policy...

Izzy Stradlin joined the band on stage at the gig last night. That would have been really fun to see. Izzy was always my favorite. Great songwriter. He first 4 solo cds are really good.

GnR were as good a RnR (?thread title) band as I've ever seen.Saw them twice live around that time and the shows were smokin. Late 80s/very early 90s they were on fire. It's not Metal, but Rock in the vein of 70s era Stones but edgier.

I'm really not a GnR fan and when I listen to their songs today, i usually turn them off before they are halfway through. That being said, I got to see GnR open for Aerosmith at Great Woods, in Mass. from the third row, this was 1987, just as GnR were breaking. i knew about their reputation as druggies and partiers and basically street hoods. I wondered if it was an act or just an image they were promoting. They took the stage and as they began to tear the shit out of the place, I could see them very clearly from up so close and I had NO DOUBTS that they were the real deal, totally authentic, they were not just acting, they meant every word, their don't give a fuck rebellion was real and sincere. It was a powerful performance and especially in 1987, it seemed like almost the only real truly outlaw rock 'n' roll band you could go see (except for punk, which I don't care about). IMO, they imploded after that first tour and I have little appreciation or respect for Axl today. Izzy was the coolest one in the band, the one who brought the Keef/Stones vibe. It did seem like Axl, at the time, was taking the mantle for the ridiculously arrogant, debauched and wasted rock 'n' roll lead singer from Steve Tyler that night (who took it from Mick Jagger, except for the wasted part). GnR were a killer rock 'n' roll band for a few short years. Too bad it was over so fast.