It's just overwhelming to try to do everything in 2 days in either of those cities, so there's bound to be stuff you will miss. BUT if I could only do one museum in Paris I'd go to the Musée d’Orsay. It has the most amazing collection of impressionist paintings and it's beautifully arranged. It's less daunting than the Louvre, although still a huge museum.

In Rome, definitely go to the Colosseum. If you must go to Vatican City, I suggest taking some anti-nausea medication when you keel over from the disgusting display of wealth and vulgarity. (Don't get me started.)

Whatever you do, you'll come back with new definitions of awesome!

Edit: Oh, and get Rick Steves' guides to the two cities. He's my favorite travel guru.

BUT if I could only do one museum in Paris I'd go to the Musée d’Orsay. It has the most amazing collection of impressionist paintings and it's beautifully arranged. It's less daunting than the Louvre, although still a huge museum.

I agree with this - years ago I skipped the Louvre and went to the Orsay instead and have never regretted it.

I think the French strike is a must to see in Paris. I don't know when you're coming in France, but if there are still some, you will love it. This week,everybody's on the street. There's just one of three train. And maybe soon no more gasoline.

But anyway when you come in Paris. The Eiffel tower by night with a bottle of champagne. It's the more beautiful and romantic things you can see and do. And each hour till one a.m there are glimmering lights for five minutes.

After or before you can go to the Champs-Elysée. I think the architecture, the old building are so beautiful it's maybe more interesting than a museum. So take sometime just to walk on the street even if the weather is cold. Take a look at Montmartre, if you like the film Amelie. But there are many many things to see in Paris. Don't spend all your time in the museum and look at the French monument. This is the advice of a French.

I think with this Mr. Heartbreaker will break a new heart.

It's just overwhelming to try to do everything in 2 days in either of those cities, so there's bound to be stuff you will miss. BUT if I could only do one museum in Paris I'd go to the Musée d’Orsay. It has the most amazing collection of impressionist paintings and it's beautifully arranged. It's less daunting than the Louvre, although still a huge museum.

Except that a major chunk of the musee d'orsay's impressionist collection is currently visiting San Francisco right now...

I'd recommend swinging by the Shakespeare and Co. bookshop which is situated along the Seine and facing toward Notre Dame in Paris. it's actually located in the Latin Quarter which seems to be a nice tourist-y spot as well. there's an amazing fast food restaurant for vegetarians around here and a cool Irish pub where the bartenders dress as Indians.

if you're interested in the Parisian nightlife, def. go to Rue de Lappe (right off of Rue de la Roquette in the Bastille.) there's a bar there called 'Some Girls' that plays American music and gets crazy-fun late at night.

ps: watch out for gypsies around the main tourist spots. they'll con you in a flash. cab drivers too. best stick with public transport :thumbup

In Rome, go to Ambasciata d'Abruzzo. The food is great, but there is great food everywhere in Rome. There, it is the entire experience there that makes it so memorable. Loved it.

Also, the architectural walk (Forum) is a must. It's not far from the Colosseum, so you can do both in the same day. And, that is also a short jog from the Boca de la Verite (as featured in the Peck/Hepburn movie Roman Holiday).

Audrey_Hepburn_and_Gregory_Peck_at_the_Mouth_of_Truth_Roman_Holiday_trailer-300x227.jpg

I love Rome.

In Paris, you certainly can't go wrong with the Louvre, but I concur with those who prefer the Musee D'Orsay. However, as someone has already noted, a large portion of its collection is currently touring the U.S., so this may not be the best time to visit (and, if I recall correctly, the collection is on the road because they're renovating).

In Rome, don't bother with the Vatican (and especially the Sistine Chapel) unless you've been dying to see them. Instead, go to the Forum*. Also, do some advance research and make sure the Colosseum is actually open the day you're planning to go -- when I was there (um ... almost 22 years ago) it was only open for visitors on certain days of the week.

The Forum and Colosseum are right next to each other so you can knock those both out on one trip.

* - I've always been fascinated with ancient Rome, so the Forum was a "must" for me.

Also, do some advance research and make sure the Colosseum is actually open the day you're planning to go -- when I was there (um ... almost 22 years ago) it was only open for visitors on certain days of the week.

Oh yes, I second this advice! Not just for the Colosseum, but for almost everything in Italy. My friend and I joked that the sign we saw most often in Rome was "chiuzo" (closed). They operate on a different time schedule there--lots of stuff is closed during the middle of the day, only to reopen later in the afternoon/early evening. So do check times!

It's cool, but the line to get in can be RIDICULOUS, and they herd you through there like livestock ... then you finally get inside, and the ceiling is so high up that you can barely see anything. I'm glad I saw it, but it definitely gets filed under "disappointment."

Oh yes, I second this advice! Not just for the Colosseum, but for almost everything in Italy. My friend and I joked that the sign we saw most often in Rome was "chiuzo" (closed). They operate on a different time schedule there--lots of stuff is closed during the middle of the day, only to reopen later in the afternoon/early evening. So do check times!

my idiot tourist moment was when we did a Europe trip in '98 and made a special stop in Milan just to see da Vinci's "The Last Supper" -- only to find out that it was in the process of being restored and therefore unavailable. Something we could have easily figured out with a single phone call / check of the website. It was quite a National Lampoon's Vacation moment. :(

(In case you're wondering, if da Vinci's stuff isn't available and you're not into high-end Italian fashion (we weren't) there isn't a whole hell of a lot to do in Milan. At least that was our impression... luckily we were only there for 1.5 days.)

In Paris, you certainly can't go wrong with the Louvre, but I concur with those who prefer the Musee D'Orsay. However, as someone has already noted, a large portion of its collection is currently touring the U.S., so this may not be the best time to visit (and, if I recall correctly, the collection is on the road because they're renovating).

In Rome, don't bother with the Vatican (and especially the Sistine Chapel) unless you've been dying to see them. Instead, go to the Forum*. Also, do some advance research and make sure the Colosseum is actually open the day you're planning to go -- when I was there (um ... almost 22 years ago) it was only open for visitors on certain days of the week.

The Forum and Colosseum are right next to each other so you can knock those both out on one trip.

* - I've always been fascinated with ancient Rome, so the Forum was a "must" for me.

Definitely visit the Forum. Inexpensive, and positively vibrating with history. You are free to wander as you like among ancient pillars and ruins that are incredibly beautiful. One of my best travel memories is of going to the Forum on a lovely, warm late afternoon, with a picnic lunch of bread, cheeses and pears that we ate among the quiet, magnificent ruins. So few people were there, we felt we almost had discovered the place ourselves. So romantic and powerful!

If a bum approaches you with a large pair of scissors near the Colosseum/Forum, don't be alarmed. He just wants to cut your silhouette. It's worth it if you have ten minutes and $15 to spare.

It's so amazing how they do that, so fast and accurate! I have one of Brennan from Paris. The guy totally got a perfect profile of him. :lol

Notre Dame cathedral is a really spectacular place to visit too, and you've got the Seine right there and a terrific area to stroll and sightsee and visit bakeries, just across the bridge from Notre Dame. Oh, the bakeries!

Tip for Americans... be polite, smile a lot, and don't expect people to speak English to you. Also keep the jeans, shorts & t-shirts at home.

Despite it's reputation for rudeness, we met wonderfully kind and helpful people in Paris -- I think simply because we weren't the typical obnoxious American tourists (yes, they stick out like a sore thumb). You reap what you sow.

Tip for Americans... be polite, smile a lot, and don't expect people to speak English to you. Also keep the jeans, shorts & t-shirts at home.

Aside from maybe not wearing shorts or something ridiculous like sweat pants, I don't think this wardrobe advice holds. Jeans and t-shirts are just fine. I find I get more weird comments on my shoes (often sneakers because I like sneakers) than anything else. And aside from Portugal, I never encountered any one that gave a shit that I was an American. In almost all cases, people have taken it as either a good thing or a curiosity.