The Time Has Come

The time has come for Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar to swallow their pride (bury the hatchet) and come together for a reunion tour! The timing is right. Both artist have put together some amazing albums. Let's face it, they are not getting any younger. Wilco, Son Volt, and Uncle Tupelo fans deserve to witness this. Most would sacrafice a limb and travel the map to witness this. Like many fans, including myself, we did not discover Uncle Tupelo until "AM" or "Being There" and we had to do some backtracking. We never experienced "live" the magic you both possessed. Based on this web site, blogs, and message boards it is obvious fans are hungry, starving to see both arists get back to their roots. Jeff, as a long time fan I beg you... Can I, Will I, see this in my lifetime?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come across a couple of folks who still lament the days of UT and don't care much for anything that came after. To each their own, but I'd guess neither Tweedy nor Farrar have an interest in something like this. It would require, you know, communication, and Jeff and Jay haven't had that since they lost their original drummer.

I'm really not at all interested in this. I enjoy a bit of UT from time to time, but I'm far from itching for a reunion.

Which is good, because I don't see it happening. Why would it? Wilco's (arguably) never been bigger. There's no reason to force a UT reunion anytime soon.

Shakespeare I don't know how long you have been a fan but you are very misunderstood. Wilco is not about "being big". Yes, I am sure they are enjoying the fruits of their labor. But overall they care about the music, soul, and their fans. It is a shame that their popularity has brought on fans like yourself who are more intersted in "being big" than "the music". How many bands that you know put together a 5 day residency tour were they sing every song off every album for their fans. I can go on and on....about this subject. There is no band out there that works as hard as Wilco does and pours their souls out on stage for the fans.

Just remember, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". I believe if the, true fans, make enough noise, Tweedy, Wilco, and Farrar will get the grease. It is about time!!

:lol

First off, My Morning Jacket. Right now. Five night residency. Entire catalogue. I'm not saying it's a common thing, 'cuz it obviously isn't. But Wilco's also not the only band to do it. Now that that's out of the way:

I could care less how big a band is. My favorite band, and the one that's affected my life the most, Super Furry Animals, is a relatively little known group from Wales that can hardly fill tiny clubs in the States. That shit clearly doesn't matter. I won't lie and say I've been a Wilco fan all along. But I've been a huge fan for 5/6 years now. That doesn't mean I'm in it for the popularity, whatever that even means. My point is, Wilco is in a good place. I guess you assumed that to mean purely financial, but that's not what I meant at all. Tweedy's clearly happier than ever, records are selling, shows are selling, reviews are (mostly) positive, creative spark between the band is clearly still there. There's no reason why JT should be thinking of other projects. Whether that's good or bad is up for debate. I'd kill for a new Loose Fur album, but I know it's not Tweedy's priority right now. I know many would do the same for a UT reunion, but that's even less likely.

This idea that the fans "deserve" a reunion is ludicrous. The fans don't deserve anymore than what they've already been given. Why you would wish so strongly for a reunion of two guys who clearly still don't like each other is beyond me. I'm sure it'll happen someday. And my personal belief is that that'll be a time when Wilco isn't in such a big commercial/critical/creative/personal happiness phase.

I could possibly see Jeff & Jay doing a one-off acoustic "set" of a handful of songs at some random charity event that they both believe in... but a full-on UT reunion? It'll never happen -- those kind of shows only take place when the careers of the individual musicians have stagnated and they all need the money - and that's certainly not the case for Jeff w/Wilco and Jay w/Son Volt.

If & when that happens (years from now), the money would be in a Wilco reunion tour, not UT.

There are 2/3 other SFA fans around here. I know PopTodd's a large fan. And Synthesizer Patel. Maybe someone else.

i love the Furries, too. but there's been a decline in the last two records...Gruff's solo LPs have been better (and the live show, too...seriously, the SFA show at last year's ATP was painful, whereas the Rhys solo show i saw in '08 was really great).

back on topic, if there's UT reunion tour, i'd go see it, but it's awfully self-centered to think that the fanbase would have anything to influence this.

I think I've said this to you, but I saw them play a headlining gig the same weekend as ATP, and it was great. Impromptu solo version of Fire In My Heart caused by the PA breaking is one of the top concert moments I've ever seen. But ATP apparently wasn't a well received set by the band or the fans. And I've come very close to calling DD/LY my favorite, so no decline here. :P

Anyway, I think at this point, Jeff is a far bigger star than Jay, and a reunion would reflect this. Son Volt seems to be doing well, but I'd be worried about a UT reunion attracting Wilco/Tweedy fans just because it's Tweedy, and not because it's the reunion they've been dreaming of. And I think Jeff knows this, based on how he laughs it off when the entire crowd in that video claimed to be fans of Uncle Tupelo. I'd likely go to a UT show, but I'd be more excited to see Jeff Tweedy than to hear Uncle Tupelo music. I feel I wouldn't be alone in that.