The Time Has Come

It's a shame Wilco has fans like you, always thinking about where the money is.

wtf? Nice personal shot. :lol

I was merely trying to explain why reunion tours happen in the first place. It's not because the band thinks their fans "deserve" it -- it's because they're at a point where they can (and usually need to) cash in on their legacy.

The Pixies haven't been touring these last couple of years because they really love playing "Debaser" every 3rd night for the millionth time -- sorry to break the news to you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf? Nice personal shot. :lol

I was merely trying to explain why reunion tours happen in the first place. It's not because the band thinks their fans "deserve" it -- it's because they're at a point where they can (and usually need to) cash in on their legacy.

The Pixies haven't been touring these last couple of years because they really love playing "Debaser" every 3rd night for the millionth time -- sorry to break the news to you.

Totally agree. I was just referencing this gem:

Shakespeare I don't know how long you have been a fan but you are very misunderstood. Wilco is not about "being big". Yes, I am sure they are enjoying the fruits of their labor. But overall they care about the music, soul, and their fans. It is a shame that their popularity has brought on fans like yourself who are more intersted in "being big" than "the music". How many bands that you know put together a 5 day residency tour were they sing every song off every album for their fans. I can go on and on....about this subject. There is no band out there that works as hard as Wilco does and pours their souls out on stage for the fans.

Just remember, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". I believe if the, true fans, make enough noise, Tweedy, Wilco, and Farrar will get the grease. It is about time!!

:lol

First off, My Morning Jacket. Right now. Five night residency. Entire catalogue. I'm not saying it's a common thing, 'cuz it obviously isn't. But Wilco's also not the only band to do it. Now that that's out of the way:

I could care less how big a band is. My favorite band, and the one that's affected my life the most, is a relatively little known group from Wales that can hardly fill tiny clubs in the States. That shit clearly doesn't matter. I won't lie and say I've been a Wilco fan all along. But I've been a huge fan for 5/6 years now. That doesn't mean I'm in it for the popularity, whatever that even means. My point is, Wilco is in a good place. I guess you assumed that to mean purely financial, but that's not what I meant at all. Tweedy's clearly happier than ever, records are selling, shows are selling, reviews are (mostly) positive, creative spark between the band is clearly still there. There's no reason why JT should be thinking of other projects. Whether that's good or bad is up for debate. I'd kill for a new Loose Fur album, but I know it's not Tweedy's priority right now. I know many would do the same for a UT reunion, but that's even less likely.

This idea that the fans "deserve" a reunion is ludicrous. The fans don't deserve anymore than what they've already been given. Why you would wish so strongly for a reunion of two guys who clearly still don't like each other is beyond me. I'm sure it'll happen someday. And my personal belief is that that'll be a time when Wilco isn't in such a big commercial/critical/creative/personal happiness phase.

Shakespeare you are absolutely right. Wilco does not owe us anything. They have given us more than we could ever ask!! Thanks for putting me in my place. Just feel like I missed out on the UT days. Yes, i am a little bitter. Just can't help but imagine what it would be like to see them together, just one time, today. Especially when you see how they have both grown as artist. Thanks for the response!

"Both grown"? Every Son Volt album sounds like the last, which sounds like the last UT album. C'mon now.

Apparently, the best chance for a reunion will be during Uncle Tupelo's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2015. Also apparently, that needs to be one of the ceremonies held in Cleveland (said the fan just down the road in Canton).

Guest Speed Racer

Apparently, the best chance for a reunion will be during Uncle Tupelo's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2015. Also apparently, that needs to be one of the ceremonies held in Cleveland (said the fan just down the road in Canton).

Bullshit. Jay would schedule a tour right before the induction, Jeff would perform a solo set of UT songs, and Jay would grant a magazine interview 20 years later whining about how Jeff tried to sleep with his wife directly after the performance while Jay was clueless in Topeka. And then he'd write a song about it called Topeka Orion. It would probably have sitar.

Farrar would never swallow his pride to do this, until he sunk so low as to release an album with a title and lyrics that are overt references to both Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie in a last gasp to choke out what little is left in the tired lexicon of "Americana". Oh wait.....

I agree with ih8music - everyone gets back together at some point, and a one-off at a charity sounds about right.

Goodness knows John and Paul got back together...oh...wait.

But Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds...uh...

It ain't gonna happen and it would be a terrible idea. UT broke up because the two guys ultimately couldn't get along. Muscially and, eventually, personally. Jay thought it was his band and Jeff thought they were musical partners.

Pigs+Fly.jpg

Love these guys as we may, let's not kid ourselves.

Although no one may care or agree with my opinion. Neither Wilco or Son Volt are making interesting music anymore. I am a huge UT fan and have mixed feelings about a UT reunion. It may just be me but SBS and WTA just havent done it for me. After the first 4 to 5 songs on WTA I lost interest, same for SBS. Son Volt hasn't been the same since the line up change. Outside of Break your heart neither has made complelling music in years. I personally have found in other bands like MMJ and The Avett Bros. what I formerly found in Wilco and Son Volt, energy,passion and creative music. Whether it be a UT reunion or something else, I am hoping for the creative spark to return to both Jeff and Jay.

I'm having trouble with the phrase "the time has come..."

Why now? What makes this moment better for a UT reunion than any other moment?

No, the time has not come. There's a minuscule chance that the time will come someday, but don't count on it.

I could possibly see Jeff & Jay doing a one-off acoustic "set" of a handful of songs at some random charity event that they both believe in... but a full-on UT reunion? It'll never happen -- those kind of shows only take place when the careers of the individual musicians have stagnated and they all need the money - and that's certainly not the case for Jeff w/Wilco and Jay w/Son Volt.

If & when that happens (years from now), the money would be in a Wilco reunion tour, not UT.

there's really no need for it. tweedy probably has no interest in revisiting those old songs or the bass guitar. it's not like there was some magic there when they sang or played on par with CSN or olson and louris.

i would much rather see jay farrar get back together with the boquist brothers. why that hasn't worked out is beyond me. what the hell are those guys doing anyway?

Agree, I miss the Boquist brothers, Son Volt has not been the same without them!

there's really no need for it. tweedy probably has no interest in revisiting those old songs or the bass guitar. it's not like there was some magic there when they sang or played on par with CSN or olson and louris.

i would much rather see jay farrar get back together with the boquist brothers. why that hasn't worked out is beyond me. what the hell are those guys doing anyway?

it's not like there was some magic there when they sang or played on par with CSN or olson and louris.

I have to disagree with that statement.

And let's not forget Mike Heidorn, Ken Coomer, John Stirratt, and Max Johnston.

As far as it happening as a one off charity event, as a couple of folks mentioned, that opportunity came and went at the Gary Schepers benefit. If they weren't going to do it for an old friend that played a role in their early success, then they aren't going to do it. I know for a fact (from the principal's email to me) that another principal from those days attempted to make it happen. Jeff played a solo show, as did Jay, and Heidorn played a set with the Boquists. Jeff joined the Bottle Rockets during their set (fanatastic happening. Youtube it) but no Jeff and Jay with or without other(s).

I have no desire for a UT reunion. It would be contrived and soulless. I actually hope for a Coffee Creek reunion. I'd pay big money for that. I love to listen to those shows. That's music, just some friends having a hell of a time. That's what I was suggesting for the Gary Schepers benefit. It could work for a charity gig. All covers, so less egos regarding songs. Another principal member to act as a counter-weight and more of a chance that it would be a fun way to raise some money for a worthy cause. But if it didn't happen then...

IF the Tupelo gang ever agreed to do some shows together, it would only be because it's something they decided they want to do. Therefore, it would be friendly and amicable and probably well-worth the ticket price to hear some great, great songs live and to see the two together on stage. I'd pay to see it.

More than a concert together, I've always hoped that somewhere down the road Tweedy and Farrar would write an album together. I liked Tupelo a lot because of the contrasting style and sound of the two. Wilco and Son Volt are very good bands, but it's very clear who runs the show and does all or most of the writing. It'd be fascinating what an album made by the two would sound like right now. They wouldn't have any troubles finding great studio musicians to flesh out the sound of the album.