It's Christmas time!!!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 10 months later...

The time is approaching, I enjoy this time of the year, but for the most mundane reasons (its commercial aspect, the cold weather and snow when and where available).

Not until very recently I realised that Christmas does not have the universality that television and movies pretend. What I mean is, two thirds of the world population don't celebrate it, while in the Southern Hemisphere it's summer.

Anyway, I must confess a penchant for Holiday music. The number one track of Christmas, in my opinion, is Johann Pachelbel's Canon. I especially like George Winston's version, I'm talking of this:

41uSnV1sNiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For ten years now I have played this CD every winter. During a time I paid piano lessons to learn how to play the Canon. I didn't succeed, for various reasons I'm not going to mention. Even in times when it's not Christmas I listen to this CD. After doing some google research I found that the Canon is also popular in weddings?

The other great track of Christmas is called Greensleeves. Here I don't have a definitive version yet, although I'm still looking for it.

The third place goes to O Come Emmanuel. In 1997, a long time ago indeed, a bunch of 'Gothic' bands reunited to produce a Christmas album by the name of Excelsys, they made a version of O Come Emmanuel that I liked at the time.

My daughter can listen to the Rudolph soundtrack over and over again. Fortunately, she also likes my dad's barbershop chorus's Christmas CD, too. I throw some others into the mix, too, including this:

300070724_690d3bc7b4_m.jpg

which has the greatest Christmas song ever: "What Month was Jesus Born In?"

I had to borrow my mom and dad's car yesterday and when I turned the car on, the radio was on 93.9 Lite FM - Chicago's All Christmas Music Station (at least during this time of year). Gotta love my mom......luckily (in this instance) my dad is pretty much deaf.

Nope.

Seems way too early, especially since Halloween is fresh in your children's minds. I heard a Christmas jingle the day after Halloween. It made me feel like I was being rushed. Not to mention the fact that I saw Halloween costumes in stores on July 31st.

The real blame should be placed on Charlie Brown and the Peanuts for having a lackluster Thanksgiving Special sandwiched between an awesome Halloween and Christmas Special.

Aw come on it wasn't that bad other than Peppermint Patty imposing on Charlie Brown then getting mad when she didn't get her way. Besides, who doesn't enjoy having Thanksgiving dinner consisting of popcorn and jelly beans on a ping pong table?

But I do agree , it is still a bit too early to decorate just yet. I love Christmas and all, but...

I had to borrow my mom and dad's car yesterday and when I turned the car on, the radio was on 93.9 Lite FM - Chicago's All Christmas Music Station (at least during this time of year). Gotta love my mom......luckily (in this instance) my dad is pretty much deaf.

Every year before Christmas, Jim & Greg do their obscure Christmas songs episode on Sound Opinions. Always one of my favorite episodes of the year.