• 3 weeks later...

Sounds pretty good to me, sort of like Cassadega-era Bright Eyes.

I know lots of people find Conor Oberst annoying and I understand that, but I like him. I saw Bright Eyes in Atlanta at the Fox in 2007--the tour where they were all wearing white--and it was a great show. Gillian Welch and David Rawlings opened and then joined the band for a few songs. Looks like Bright Eyes is touring starting in March. If you haven't seen them live, I'd really recommend it.

• 1 month later...

This is good. Not the direction I expected and some dull spots, but overall satisfying. He's guilty of overwriting in spots, over-singing and over enunciating in others, but I think that's what we all expect by now. Almost too slick and poppy, but the crazy dude breaks that up nicely.

The tour with Titus Andronicus should be a lot of fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Just kinda dawned on me I haven't seen any discussion of this album since it came out. I personally got it as about a 8 out of 10. I think it is an all around great piece of art from the vinyl sleeve to the song arrangement to the very last note. I'm putting it up with Bright Eyes best stuff. Just a little surprised by the lack of discussion.

Saw the first show of their tour on Wednesday night in Miami, really good show. Conor Oberst was dancing at one point, which was kind of weird. The band is very tight right now, and they played a really good mix of songs from every album.

Firewall

Jejune Stars

Take It Easy (Love Nothing)

Four Winds

Bowl of Oranges

We are Nowhere and It’s Now

Shell Games

Approximate Sunlight

Hot Knives

From a Balance Beam

Poison Oak

Triple Spiral

Arc of Time

Beginner’s Mind

Something Vague

The Trees Get Wheeled Away

Old Soul Song (For the New World Order)

Nothing Gets Crossed Out

The Calendar Hung Itself

Lua/Ladder Song

Encore:

Gold Mine Gutted

Lover I Don’t Have to Love

Road to Joy

One for You, One for Me

The version of "Lua" was played with just Conor and the multi-instrumentalist, who played a trumpet. It was absolutely gorgeous.

Closing with "One For You, One for Me" kind of let the air out of the building and it was kind of cheesy. My only criticism. But they played "Bowl Of Oranges", so all is forgiven.

I believe the tour starts tonight, March 4, in Atlanta, so I guess no one has seen them yet. I'll be going to the sold-out show in Richmond on Sunday, March 6. I'm driving up from Norfolk--flying solo so just in case anyone here is going, would love to meet up.

I've been listening to the new album a lot over the past few days. It helps me enjoy a show more when I'm pretty familiar with the artist's catalog. It's definitely a grower for me. Ther first few listens It didn't do much for me but it's starting to worm its way into my brain. I've grown rather fond of the mystical/crazy guy's interludes.

Saw the first show of their tour on Wednesday night in Miami, really good show. Conor Oberst was dancing at one point, which was kind of weird. The band is very tight right now, and they played a really good mix of songs from every album.

Firewall

Jejune Stars

Take It Easy (Love Nothing)

Four Winds

Bowl of Oranges

We are Nowhere and It’s Now

Shell Games

Approximate Sunlight

Hot Knives

From a Balance Beam

Poison Oak

Triple Spiral

Arc of Time

Beginner’s Mind

Something Vague

The Trees Get Wheeled Away

Old Soul Song (For the New World Order)

Nothing Gets Crossed Out

The Calendar Hung Itself

Lua/Ladder Song

Encore:

Gold Mine Gutted

Lover I Don’t Have to Love

Road to Joy

One for You, One for Me

The version of "Lua" was played with just Conor and the multi-instrumentalist, who played a trumpet. It was absolutely gorgeous.

Closing with "One For You, One for Me" kind of let the air out of the building and it was kind of cheesy. My only criticism. But they played "Bowl Of Oranges", so all is forgiven.

as someone who isn't loving the new one, this is good news...