Your favorite artists that do it for you pretty much all the time.

wouldn't have taken you as a sebadoh fan :shifty

Who woulda thunk it.

Bakesale tour next year!

Heck yeah. I am PUMPED. It'll be my first time seeing Sebadoh and Bakesale/Harmacy are being reissued. Bakesale is the BOMB and one of my top 3 albums of all-time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when is the last time you pulled this out? :D

ColtraneOM.jpg

but yeah, generally unassailable.

Ha. I don't break out that one too often, that's for sure. But everything else, especially from about '61-'64, is just absolutely perfect.

I made the mistake of listening to pretty much all of the Live Trane - The European Tours box in order after I got it, and it almost ruined my music collection for me: everything else sounded silly and stupid after that. Fortunately, I recovered, and got back to listening to other artists again. :lol

wilco

dylan

led zeppelin

gordon lightfoot

warren zevon

ek kuepper

mississippi john hurt

creedence

traveling wilburys

beatles

gordon lightfoot! yes. beautiful is such a great song.

Ha. I don't break out that one too often, that's for sure. But everything else, especially from about '61-'64, is just absolutely perfect.

I made the mistake of listening to pretty much all of the Live Trane - The European Tours box in order after I got it, and it almost ruined my music collection for me: everything else sounded silly and stupid after that. Fortunately, I recovered, and got back to listening to other artists again. :lol

i've had that happen. you listen to a bunch of stuff and then you hear something that just blows your mind and it feels futile to go back to anything else. i remember feeling that way after hearing Shine on You Crazy Diamond the first time.

Springsteen

Wilco

Surprising (to me)...upon reflection Pearl Jam

Alejandro Escovedo

U2

The Beatles

Radiohead

I'm definitely not cool...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Springsteen

Wilco

Surprising (to me)...upon reflection Pearl Jam

Alejandro Escovedo

U2

The Beatles

Radiohead

I'm definitely not cool...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

my list is way more un-cool than yours, so don't worry about it:)

-Bennett era Wilco

-Uncle Tupelo

-60's era Dylan

-ABBA

-Ramones (up to "Too Tough To Die" circa'89)

-Mission of Burma

-Buzzcocks

-Jayhawks

-Long Ryders

-David Nelson Band (thanks Scott!)

-The Doors

-Big Star

-The Trashmen

-The Byrds

-Leos Janacek (Czech composer)

-Mike Miles aka "Simian Crease"

-Gram Parsons

-Marlee Mcleod

and so on...........

-Robert

There have to be some dogs in there, the guy made hundreds of recordings....

LouieB

OM is okay - I never saw that cover before - pretty cool. The only clunker for me is "To Be" off of Expression. Not a big fan of his flute playing.

There have to be some dogs in there, the guy made hundreds of recordings....LouieB

From rateyourmusic.com

There is something dirty about John Coltrane's Om. First, there's the circumstances surrounding its release. Rumor has it that Coltrane (and possibly his entire group) had taken LSD before or during the October 1965 sessions that produced Om. Legend also has it that Coltrane was very unimpressed with the recordings. He told Impulse! Records director (and the recording's producer) Bob Thiele that he did not want the record released. However, following Coltrane's death in 1967, Thiele decided to release the session to: 1) capitalize on Coltrane's recent death, and to; 2) capitalize on the burgeoning psychedelic rock scene. This exploitation of music that was supposed to remain unheard does leave a dirty taste in one's mouth.

But after sufficient scrubbing, we are left with an intriguing piece of music, easily the most shambolic in Coltrane's career. It remains, to this day, a deeply unsettling performance, especially since it begins with a chant from The Tibetan Book of the Dead. When Coltrane and his group chant "Om / Om / Om," it's as menacing as anything you'll hear. If the acid rumors are true, then the psychedelic experience took them through some mighty dark passages. Everything seems off, as if the group is playing sheet music that is slowly dripping down the page into a puddle of black ink. Coltrane's first solo is monotonous. He is followed by Pharaoh Sanders' characteristic, cathartic wailing. McCoy Tyner is next, spiking the piano in a manner quite unlike anything else he had previously recorded. By the time we get to Part Two, strange percussion and the addition of flautist Joe Brazil make the music even more disorienting. The track concludes like Ascension, with all members soloing, dominated by the horns and Elvin Jones' most free playing to date. While Om remains an uneven performance, it is infinitely more "spiritual" than A Love Supreme, as well as more demanding (though not necessarily better). This is music that requires a patient listener. With Om we can hear Coltrane working toward Meditations and the dissolution of his classic Quartet.

I keep trying to think of artists to post in this thread, but cannot think of any. Here's some of my favorites, but they all blew it on at least 1 occasion.

Bob Mould

Paul Westerberg

Lou Reed

Iggy Pop

Neil Young

David Bowie

Jayhawks

Ryan Adams

Tweedy is batting about .900, so he's probably the closest.

Answering the original question implies leaving out some of my favorites whom I don't always feel like listening to i.e. Sparklehorse, Elliott Smith, The National, Jeff Buckley and other highly emotional vocals that fit certain moods only.

Jeff Tweedy/Wilco

Josh Rouse

Aimee Mann

Pearl Jam

Beulah

Yo La Tengo

Pixies

Seems about right.

Jeff Tweedy

Tom Verlaine

Miles Davis

Jan Sibelius

Ronnie Lane

Neil Young

Ry Cooder

Nick Drake

Claude Debussy

John Lennon

Love Tom Verlaine's guitar playing. Just can't get past his voice. Same with Belew era King Crimson. Ironically, they sound alike to me.

Dinosaur Jr.

Miles Davis

Husker Du

Brad Mehldau

Samiam

Nick Drake

Jawbreaker

The first 7 or 8 Elvis Costello records

The Clash

Feist

Billy Holiday

Fugazi

Hot Snakes

Radiohead

Mark Lanegan

PJ Harvey

Regina Spektor

Manu Chao

Otis Redding

Charles Wright and Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band

Charlie Parker

Harry Nillson about 90% of the time

Dinosaur Jr.

Miles Davis

Husker Du

Brad Mehldau

Samiam

Nick Drake

Jawbreaker

The first 7 or 8 Elvis Costello records

The Clash

Feist

Billy Holiday

Fugazi

Hot Snakes

Radiohead

Mark Lanegan

PJ Harvey

Regina Spektor

Manu Chao

Otis Redding

Charles Wright and Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band

Charlie Parker

Harry Nillson about 90% of the time

See, I've a hard time swallowing that you can listen to White Chalk "all of the time". Or Regina Spektor. I like both artists, don't get me wrong.