new Iron & Wine - "Kiss Each Other Clean"

http://pitchfork.com/news/41118-iron-wine-to-debut-new-album-in-webcast/

Tonight, returning beard-folk heroes Iron & Wine will play a just-announced show at New York radio station WNYC's performance venue the Greene Space. NPR Music and WNYC willwebcast the show live. Starting at 8 p.m. eastern, you'll be able to watch the show from the comfort of your laptop at the websites of both NPR Music and the Greene Space.At the show, the band will play Kiss Each Other Clean, their new album, in its entirety. Kiss Each Other Clean is the band's first new album since 2007's The Shepherd's Dog, and it comes out January 25 via Warner Bros. in the U.S. and January 24 on 4AD internationally.

You'll also be able to see Sam Beam's beard in all its splendor when the band performs on"Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" tomorrow night.

Should be interesting. I really liked the 3 songs on the Walking Far from Home single.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big I&W fan, but I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about the new record. I appreciate when artists challenge themselves and not just recycle ideas. However, I really loved the spartan, stripped-down folk songs of Sam's earlier work. The "everything but the sink" approach is not quite working for me (stole that phrase from another fansite).

I am gonna have to give this one some time; i doesn't grab me right off the bat...

With Ben Massarella, Joe Adamik and Jim Becker from Califone collaborating on this album, I don't see how it could be anything but masterful. Beam's songwriting is top notch.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the broadcast the other night. Technical difficulties made it all but unwatchable.

Kiss Each Other Clean might be my favorite album title so far this year.

With Ben Massarella, Joe Adamik and Jim Becker from Califone collaborating on this album, I don't see how it could be anything but masterful. Beam's songwriting is top notch.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the broadcast the other night. Technical difficulties made it all but unwatchable.

Kiss Each Other Clean might be my favorite album title so far this year.

You could download it as an mp3 from npr, the quality is much better.

i absolutely adore the 'Walking Far From Home' single (esp. one of the non-album tracks 'Biting Your Tail') and really like the leadoff track. I can't wait to hear the full record.

i dig the electronic flourishes on a few of the new songs so far.

i didn't bother w/ that webcast as i don't wanna hear the songs live first.

I gotta download that live MP3 before it goes away.

I like all of what I (sort of) heard on the live performance, and after hearing a couple of songs off the record, I'm liking this new album a lot. :thumbup

wub.gif. I spent the first ten minutes of the webcast trying to determine whether or not Leroy Bach was the keyboard player (it wasn't, but the guy certainly has Leroy's taste in hats), Beam picks incredible musicians as his backing band.

--Mike

ditto.

not as moved by this version of 'Glad Man Singing' as the solo one on Daytrotter, but still awesome.

Agreed. And I kind of wish I took your advice and didn't listen to it live first. But I do enjoy the album a lot and feel like it's one to grow on.

I'm not a huge Iron & Wine fan, but I'm really looking forward to this album. I finally bought the Walking Far From Home EP today and I'm really enjoying it.

I guess I prefer the later Iron & Wine. To be completely honest - I find The Creek Drank the Cradle to be kind of boring.

i'm totally unimpressed. i'm no longer feeling guilty about getting rid of my radio city tix...

the last i saw i&w was in 2005. he played a great deal from 'our endless numbered days', which i think is his best to date. i wasn't crazy about 'the shepherd's dog' when it first came out, maybe the latest release will grow on me as that album has.

i think folk music could be hard to really get into. it comes down to guitar, lyrics, vocal, and i think BEAM hits on all those levels. he voice can expand several levels, he can fingerpick and technique the guitar very well, and his lyric/music writing is really exceptional.

folk music is boring to some but those who really enjoy it, it is a sort of musical mastery.

i think folk music could be hard to really get into. it comes down to guitar, lyrics, vocal, and i think BEAM hits on all those levels. he voice can expand several levels, he can fingerpick and technique the guitar very well, and his lyric/music writing is really exceptional.

folk music is boring to some but those who really enjoy it, it is a sort of musical mastery.

I have no problem with folk music. I love great fingerpicking and a good story. I just think Iron & Wine's version of the genre is a bit underwhelming. The vocals in particular do not impress me. I prefer someone with a more weathered voice if the instrumentation is going to be so sparse.

I will admit that I don't own all his albums. Maybe I'll give them some more listening time after I absorb the new one.

I really loved his first two albums, The Sea & Rhythm EP and the Calexico EP. Those were stellar beyond reason. I traded a show with someone back in the '02 and they sent me a promo copy of his first album a few months before it was released and I was hooked by the folk-come-lo-fi aspect. His second album upped the fidelity and the songwriting again was stellar...Naked as We Came has to be one of the most gorgeous songs ever written in the history of man, in my opinion. Every time I hear it, it's like I've heard it for the first time: that wonderful, awesome feeling you get when you hear great music. Happens every single time, without fail.

I really wasn't fan of the Woman King EP and down right despised the Shepard's Dog. What was wrong with the Shepard's Dog for me is hard to pin down. I describe it as "NPR supporter paint by the numbers eclecticism." It just reeked of that, if you get my imagery.