new Iron & Wine - "Kiss Each Other Clean"

I sat out the early days of Iron and Wine, for some reason I just never got around to listening to Our Endless Numbered Days or Creek. I kinda figured he was Garden State/OC soundtrack fluff and stupidly dismissed him. I started listening to him seriously when the Calexico split EP came out and then really fell for Shepherd's Dog which I went after because of the Califone connection. I prefer the more ornately arranged stuff he did on that album and this one to the earlier stuff, but I think all of it's good. He's an incredible songwriter.

--Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big I&W fan, but I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about the new record. I appreciate when artists challenge themselves and not just recycle ideas. However, I really loved the spartan, stripped-down folk songs of Sam's earlier work. The "everything but the sink" approach is not quite working for me (stole that phrase from another fansite).

I am gonna have to give this one some time; i doesn't grab me right off the bat...

Put me in the same camp. The new record sounds good but...I loved Around The Well, even though many of the songs were barely above a whisper they perfectly showcased what Sam and Sara do best. Just put some headphones on and be transported.

Put me in the same camp. The new record sounds good but...I loved Around The Well, even though many of the songs were barely above a whisper they perfectly showcased what Sam and Sara do best. Just put some headphones on and be transported.

I've always believed that's what Sam's music was strongest at. You can put it on, and all of a sudden, you're in a cabin, the leaves are changing, and Sam beam is playing guitar near the kitchen table. This new record (granted I'm on my first listen) is good, in fact, it's very interesting. But this isn't Sam's strengths. I'm glad he's branching out but there's nothing wrong with returning to your roots at one point.

The Creek has always been my favorite Sam record. I liked the In the Reins and Woman King EPs as well. Even those songs, with all their extra instrumentation, are still very organic and rootsy. I don't know if I can say that about these songs.

A couple thoughts: Fell in love with I & W around Our Endless Numbered Days. Bought the vinyl after reading a No Depression article and taking a chance. Went back and picked up Creek, Loved Women King and Reins, I love 85% of Around the Well and while I can appreciate Shephard's, it is largely lost on me. I think I feel with recent Iron and Wine how I did with the Black Keys Attack & Release. Some production and varied arragements adds to the overall picture (Wilco YHF) while sometimes it just feels likes window dressing. I don't know how to describe it, but it doesn't serve the song, it just feels like someone got bored and started playing with sound. I just listened to Tree By The River (studio version vs. daytrotter version) the stripped down is so beautiful and makes me think of Iron and Wine's strongest work, the studio version is professional and sounds great but leaves me feeling a tad cold. I'm glad some prefer the recent stuff, but for me personally it is harder to connect with. I guess Sam's strengths in my mind are the songs, not the sounds

New set of tour dates announced:

04 March . Chicago, IL . Riveria Theater

14 April . Detroit, MI . Royal Oak Music Theatre

15 April . Buffalo, NY . The Town Ballroom

16 April . North Adams, MA . Mass MoCA

17 April . Burlington, VT . Higer Ground

18 April . Portland, ME . State Theatre

19 April . Boston, MA . House of Blues

21 April . Philadelphia, PA . Electric Factory

22 April . Washington, D.C. . 9:30 Club

23 April . Savannah, GA . Trustees Theater

25 April . Athens, GA . 40 Watt Club

26 April . Charlotte, NC . Amos' Southend

27 April . Richmond, VA . The National

28 April . Pittsburgh, PA . Carnegie Music Hall

29 April . Cleveland, OH . House of Blues

New set of tour dates announced:

04 March . Chicago, IL . Riveria Theater

14 April . Detroit, MI . Royal Oak Music Theatre

15 April . Buffalo, NY . The Town Ballroom

16 April . North Adams, MA . Mass MoCA

17 April . Burlington, VT . Higer Ground

18 April . Portland, ME . State Theatre

19 April . Boston, MA . House of Blues

21 April . Philadelphia, PA . Electric Factory

22 April . Washington, D.C. . 9:30 Club

23 April . Savannah, GA . Trustees Theater

25 April . Athens, GA . 40 Watt Club

26 April . Charlotte, NC . Amos' Southend

27 April . Richmond, VA . The National

28 April . Pittsburgh, PA . Carnegie Music Hall

29 April . Cleveland, OH . House of Blues

ohwell.gif

I just finished listening to KEOC for the first listen. I really dig it fine! i like the new musical path Sam Beam has gone. Not a far stretch from Shepherd's Dog but adds in a lot of elements that i think really work. I love the funky keyboards and tenor sax. Yes, he is experimenting with sounds and I'm happy to come along for the ride.

If you listening for the early sounds of Sam Beam, you aren't going to hear them on this record.

That Daytrotter session is freaking fantastic: I've listened to it about 50 times.

Are there any concerts/bootlegs of him playing shows like this (him + minimal accompaniment) - soundboards at that?

on record store day they released this show: http://www.amazon.com/Norfolk-20-05-Iron-Wine/dp/B00275WC5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1295479084&sr=8-1

it's really great. if you cant find it, let me know, and i'll try and help you out!

on record store day they released this show: http://www.amazon.com/Norfolk-20-05-Iron-Wine/dp/B00275WC5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1295479084&sr=8-1

it's really great. if you cant find it, let me know, and i'll try and help you out!

I actually bought that one on RSD and listened to for a couple of tracks and it's been buried on my CD shelves since. Are there any other shows that might be close to the DT in quality?

PS, those prices for that album are insane. I can say without a doubt that one of the local record stores have about 10 copies of it for $10.99, the same price I paid on RSD.

ohwell.gif

Me too.

Mixed review on the album. I don't mind the more complex sound a bit. There's a kind of retro 60s Beach Boy feel to it. But Sam's voice, near painfully poignant in past recordings, seems rather bland and homogenized on this album.

That Daytrotter session is freaking fantastic: I've listened to it about 50 times.

Are there any concerts/bootlegs of him playing shows like this (him + minimal accompaniment) - soundboards at that?

If you haven't heard the 2-disc Around The Well, it's a terrific release. Some amazing covers on that one as well.

Now I have to go check out the Daytrotter thing.

I just listened to it the first time on NPR and... well, I wasn't really feeling it. Then again, it took me a long time to get into Iron and Wine in the first place, and I actually AM a fan of The Shepherd's Dog (though I prefer The Creek Drank the Cradle)... anyway, may report back later, hopefully with a changed mind.

If you haven't heard the 2-disc Around The Well, it's a terrific release. Some amazing covers on that one as well.

Now I have to go check out the Daytrotter thing.

I have all of his "official" releases minus a single or two and I like Around the Well a lot.

• 2 months later...

I also want to retract recent negative feelings. More listens of the new record, ESP with headphones has me digging it. I was worried after shepherds and a bad live sow that I was losing it for Sam. I'm back. I think i need to revisit shepherds! I still think shepherds is a bit off, maybe too pissy, who knows?