Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

i think i like this new one a lot better than the other, actually. i don't really like the whole build-up to helplessness blues, it would have been much better if it started at the point where the drums kick in, and the other bit was just dropped completely. also i'd prefer it if they sang in french or something, so i didn't have to pay attention to the words. actually, forget that - i just listened to it again whilst typing this - i don't like any of it, the lyrics make me want to punch something. i like the arrangement of this new one eventhough it's a little bit too soaked in reverb, and i made a point not to try and work out what he was saying.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually dig the lyrics to Helplessness Blues and i've never really paid much attention to Robin's lyrics before.

it's clearly about his antisocial disorder

"If I know only one thing

is that everything I see

of the world outside is full of such wonder

that often, I barely can speak

Yeah, I'm tongue-tied and dizzy

and i can't keep it to myself

what good is it to sing helplessness blues?

Why should I wait for anyone else"

i don't really know about his personal life, i don't think people should have to know that sort of stuff for the song to work or not work, though. maybe i'm being a bit hard on them. cos i do like them a fair amount, it's just they fall a little short in certain areas for me to really love them. i tend to be a lot harder on things i wish could be a little better in my eyes rather than things i don't care less about. i'm still looking forward to the album coming out.

i actually dig the lyrics to Helplessness Blues and i've never really paid much attention to Robin's lyrics before.

it's clearly about his antisocial disorder

"If I know only one thing

is that everything I see

of the world outside is full of such wonder

that often, I barely can speak

Yeah, I'm tongue-tied and dizzy

and i can't keep it to myself

what good is it to sing helplessness blues?

Why should I wait for anyone else"

do you mean anxiety? antisocial is the clinical term for psychopath. if he does suffer from antisocial disorder, then more power to him in being able to be creative with it, although it'd be a miracle. those folks don't get better.

...helplessness blues...i don't like any of it, the lyrics make me want to punch something.

I agree with this. I heard Helplessness Blues for the first time yesterday and I literally wanted to punch something. Terrible lyrics...cringe-inducing. Can't wait to hear this other track though. I too have high hopes for this...

do you mean anxiety? antisocial is the clinical term for psychopath. if he does suffer from antisocial disorder, then more power to him in being able to be creative with it, although it'd be a miracle. those folks don't get better.

yes sorry, social anxiety

I agree with this. I heard Helplessness Blues for the first time yesterday and I literally wanted to punch something. Terrible lyrics...cringe-inducing. Can't wait to hear this other track though. I too have high hopes for this...

is it the snowflake line? that seems to be the one people are getting hung up on...

he addressed that on twitter a while back.

fwiw, if you look through the first record and EP, there's some lines that are pretty damn bad on paper too tho (like i said, i never really paid his lyrics any attention even on the first record)

is it the snowflake line? that seems to be the one people are getting hung up on...

fwiw, if you look through the first record and EP, there's some lines that are pretty damn bad on paper too tho (like i said, i never really paid his lyrics any attention even on the first record)

no prob. i was just curious :thumbup

Nah, I think that it's the overall lameness that permeates the lyrics. Did I mention cringe-inducing? A chill rolls down my back every time I think about it. :no

terrible 128kbps rip with skips tho :(

waiting for the band to put up a higher quality stream soon

For sure, it's been enough to tie me over to far though, and once I get a nice good quality rip it'll be so great.

No opinions just yet but... it sounds pretty amazing.

it only skips once on the first track - montezuma. it's easily good enough for people to tell if they will like it or not - i assume people listen to mp3 leaks on their computer anyway, so it's not like they're going to be that bothered about sound quality if they're willing to do that.

i'm a bit 50/50 on this. too many of the tracks start off with acoustic guitar and then build up, it's just really boring across a whole album. battery kinzie, lorelai and grown ocean stand out for me, because they don't do that - but then they stil have that annoying "building up" approach (i don't really know how else to describe it - it's something the national did on their last album too, i think it's the fault of arcade fire & grizzly bear - it's just a really lazy way to construct a song and make it seem more epic and important that it really is). i think i'm a bit tired of this type of music now.

slow builds are pretty much my favorite type of song (see Calexico, The Frames, National, etc.)... so clearly we differ greatly there.

and it's not lazy imo, just a personal preference in songwriting style.

high quality 320kbps rip of this out now...

so glad i waited, it sounds way better than the 128kbps.

stunning/gorgeous production. total ear candy.

to early to say if i like it as much as the first, but i didn't dislike a single song upon first listen.

Yeah snagged the new rip last night.

I'm weary of saying anything too ridiculous about this record just yet but... I had high expectations going into this record and it really has exceeded every one of them for me.

I really think they've evolved their sound and songwriting in the perfect way, little to no electric guitars this time around but replaced by strings and even better harmonies than before. And the contrast between The Shrine/An Argument and Blue Spotted Tail in terms of size and reverb is so so great.

I thought their first album was good, but not worthy of the lavish praise and album of the year honors it received.

I thought it was decent, but not too earth shattering. Really, to me, it sounds like My Morning Jacket if they were aiming to reproduce The Beach Boys' "Cabin Essence" but not quite making it pretty much the whole album (talking about their debut).

I definitely don't think they suck. Definitely talented, but haven't done anything to knock me out just yet. Haven't heard the leak.

Yeah snagged the new rip last night.

I'm weary of saying anything too ridiculous about this record just yet but... I had high expectations going into this record and it really has exceeded every one of them for me.

I really think they've evolved their sound and songwriting in the perfect way, little to no electric guitars this time around but replaced by strings and even better harmonies than before. And the contrast between The Shrine/An Argument and Blue Spotted Tail in terms of size and reverb is so so great.

Couldn't have said it better. Everything I have heard so far has been outstanding and the video for Grown Ocean is lovely.

File under bands I don't get. I gave it a shot, but everything sounds exactly the same, just like on the first record only, somehow, they made it even more boring. It's like a poor man's Band of Horses. The whole plodding reverb shtick needs to go.

File under bands I don't get. I gave it a shot, but everything sounds exactly the same, just like on the first record only, somehow, they made it even more boring. It's like a poor man's Band of Horses. The whole plodding reverb shtick needs to go.

to each is own. I always wonder how I would feel about the Fleet Foxes if it wasn't for seeing them at Sasquatch a month before their record came out. It was the perfect scene for them.

I will say as a huge fan of the Fleet Foxes and a huge (probably bigger) fan of Band of Horses and an average fan of MMJ, I think they all are different to my ears.

However I can get behind not feeling a band. I always use Grizzly Bear as an example. I try and try and it just doesn't connect. If I have to try THAT much it isn't working, and that is cool.