Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

i think they have a bit of early genesis and ant phillips thrown in there. i've not really gotten into them, but i think i'll pick this one up and hopefully see a show this year.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was kinda happy to see Pfork didn't score it quite as high as the debut...

as much as I do love it, there's still 2-3 songs on that one i like way more than anything on HB. that said, it's a much more fully fleshed out and realized album.

def in my top 5 on the year for sure

Amazing album, in my top 5 as well.

Lorelai is one of the more beautiful and heartbreaking songs to come along in a long time.

I was old news to you then...

What a great line.

I remember a lot of chatter earlier in this thread about Pecknold's bad lyrics. But most of the very positive reviews I've read are really focusing on how good the lyrics are.

Anxious to hear this one.

that was one concern i had with the new record. the first Fleet Foxes releases had lyrics that i felt really fit the vibe of those records. They kind of took you away to some other time. I was concerned with how the more personal and direct lyrics would fit with their music. It hasn't bothered me at this point and my concerns appear invalid

That is a funny review and I'm cool with not everyone having the same opinion. I do however, and always have, felt it is lazy to label soothing/pretty music as unemotional. There are many ways to express intense emotions beyond loud/fast and screaming. Heck, critics didn't love CSN (i think), so why should it be different

Agreed, and I'm no staunch defender of Fleet Foxes by any means. I thought their first album was good, but I don't seem to like it as much as most people do. I also had a very average concert experience with them. However, I do really like what I've heard of the new album and I'm going to pick it up over lunch today.

http://www.nme.com/reviews/fleet-foxes/12024

If you want to read an alternative point of view to all of the glowing reviews of the album, check out this ruthless piece of work. Looks like we better put on something else if we wanna get some, if you know what I mean. :boff

is it that uncool in indie world to craft something with intention and sing on key?

"They’re the soy-latte house band of Starbucks."

Does this mean you can buy their cd at Starbucks? Because, if you can, I will walk across the street right now and buy a copy.

Well, I guess I'm closer to the NME review. This is terrible. Very disappointing.

Oh now!. I get not digging it, like I didn't dig Grizzly Bear's Veckatimist, but I'd never argue it is terrible. These records are finely crafted and thoughfully crafted at least musically. It is odd, for an album that is suppose to be more personal, I'm having trouble connecting with it as much lyrically as I did their first two releases. That being said, I'll stand by the belief that it is one of the most beautiful sounding records I've heard in a long time.

Oh now!. I get not digging it, like I didn't dig Grizzly Bear's Veckatimist, but I'd never argue it is terrible. These records are finely crafted and thoughfully crafted at least musically. It is odd, for an album that is suppose to be more personal, I'm having trouble connecting with it as much lyrically as I did their first two releases. That being said, I'll stand by the belief that it is one of the most beautiful sounding records I've heard in a long time.

For something to be beautiful, it needs to move me or affect me in some way. Despite the lushness and harmonies of this album, I'm left cold with no connection to it. I also don't think the melodies are very strong at all. And the harmonies feel tacked on as a way to move each song along, rather than something organic and natural.

For something to be beautiful, it needs to move me or affect me in some way. Despite the lushness and harmonies of this album, I'm left cold with no connection to it. I also don't think the melodies are very strong at all. And the harmonies feel tacked on as a way to move each song along, rather than something organic and natural.

No I get what you are saying, I just get hung up on the terrible part. I think relatively speaking there is so much terrible music and even with not connecting to this, I think it is in the top 5 % of music currently being made. I had the same reaction to when people said Wilco The Album was terrible. I just think it is a gross overstatement. Just my opinion, and who am I just terrible or not, but I just don't want to outright dissmiss something someone poured time and heart into. I can respect Grizzly Bear, just don't dig it

No I get what you are saying, I just get hung up on the terrible part. I think relatively speaking there is so much terrible music and even with not connecting to this, I think it is in the top 5 % of music currently being made. I had the same reaction to when people said Wilco The Album was terrible. I just think it is a gross overstatement. Just my opinion, and who am I just terrible or not, but I just don't want to outright dissmiss something someone poured time and heart into. I can respect Grizzly Bear, just don't dig it

I stand by my terrible remark. I really liked their first album. I dig this kind of music. I don't think this album was done well at all. And I certainly wouldn't put it in the top 5% of music being made.

i agree with this. couldn't get into the first one. was going to go and buy the new one today, but decided to listen again. meh.

I disagree with this.

Despite the lushness and harmonies of this album, I'm left cold with no connection to it. I also don't think the melodies are very strong at all. And the harmonies feel tacked on as a way to move each song along, rather than something organic and natural.

At this moment, I agree with you 100% on your points here, but keep wondering if it's just a grower. I saw them last night here in Seattle and felt the show was good, not great. Someone mentioned that they lacked assuredness on stage and I think that pretty much sums it up. The vocal harmonies were amazing to experience live, but I think you need more than that to elevate the performance and really connect to the audience in some of these bigger places that they are playing. They looked a bit uncomfortable up there.

The time I saw them in concert Robin sat the whole time. There were long pauses between songs and he sat there and uncomfortably stroked his beard. Reminded me of a Bond villain petting his cat or something. Just a little awkward.

At this moment, I agree with you 100% on your points here, but keep wondering if it's just a grower. I saw them last night here in Seattle and felt the show was good, not great. Someone mentioned that they lacked assuredness on stage and I think that pretty much sums it up. The vocal harmonies were amazing to experience live, but I think you need more than that to elevate the performance and really connect to the audience in some of these bigger places that they are playing. They looked a bit uncomfortable up there.

I saw them at Pitchfork and it was really my introduction to them. I'd heard great things about them but their live show is, for lack of a better term, awful.

When they actually play songs, it's great. But there is less than zero stage presence when they play and there are some "Grateful Dead-esque" tuning gaps where, as previously mentioned, absolutely nothing is happening. There's no acknowledgement of the audience either. I'm waiting on the new album to show up at my door but am mostly indifferent to the band themselves and probably will never check out their live show again unless it's a free ticket.

Just finished my first listen on the turntable and I have to say overall I'm pretty pleased. I thought the record got off to a bit of a slow start, but 3 or 4 songs in I started getting into it.

It might not be as immediate and atmospheric as the first album, but I liked it a lot. I expect this one to be a grower.

I've seen them once (sasquatch fest) and it dispelled my initial apprehension for their overhyped status at the time.

However generally I try not to compare a band's live show with their records. To be frank I would never spin a Lucinda Williams record if i was basing things off her live show, or Iron & Wine after my last concert with him. On the otherhand I've thought about buying a bunch of Robbie Fulks records after seeing him live only to realize I can't sit down and listen to him without it being in person. I feel it is apples and oranges. On some level I don't care whether they can replicate this beautiful thing in person. 361 days out of the year I'll have the vinyl only one day can I see them live anyway