Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some stuff on the album I really like and some not so much. However, with 32 reviews compiled it has scored an 88 on Metacritic, album of the year type reviews. As with the first album, I just don't understand the over-the-top gushing for this band. I admit this says more about me than anything, but this gushing makes me look at the band and their albums through a different prism, and it has an overall negative effect on my opinion of them. I basically had the same thing happen to me with Mumford and Sons (not from critic reviews, but from word on the street).

There is some stuff on the album I really like and some not so much. However, with 32 reviews compiled it has scored an 88 on Metacritic, album of the year type reviews. As with the first album, I just don't understand the over-the-top gushing for this band. I admit this says more about me than anything, but this gushing makes me look at the band and their albums through a different prism, and it has an overall negative effect on my opinion of them. I basically had the same thing happen to me with Mumford and Sons (not from critic reviews, but from word on the street).

i can understand that...

but i guess myself, i saw the band twice before the debut album even came out and loved them from the first note of that first show hmm.gif

this is still probably in my top 3 on the year as well

never seen them, I don't gush over them, but man that first album was really good, as was "Mykonos" from the EP (the rest of the EP didn't do as much for me) ... I will be getting this new FF record shortly and am excited, I had kind of semi-forgotten about them

saw these guys friday night at the ryman in nashville and...man! these boys can play, and robin's voice is ever-so crisp live. honestly, based on what i had read here, i wasnt expecting a spectacular show, but i have to report that this past friday's show stands firmly in my top three live shows.

get out and check these dudes out live.

I liked their first record enough, saw them at ACL in '08 (and found it a little awkward).....so i was never a fervent follower, so i think i can approach Helplessness Blues from an objective standpoint. This record, in my opinion, is gorgeous. And it it's a huge grower. It took a number of listens to really sink in.

It's much better than the first.

Saw them the other night in Boston, and it was rather epic. Started off slowly, crowd seated (theater show), and suddenly pockets of people stood up, and the whole place followed. Crowd was amazing - loud, raucous and appreciative after songs, and quiet during them. Still some awkward/funny band audience interactions, but this time it was charming and funny, compared to the "what are we doing here? why are we here?" hesitations of 3 years ago.

At first i was like "oh no - will i nod off during this?" - and then it turned into a what will be I'm sure a top show of the year.

Sound was amazing, and the live treatment of the songs really brought them to life.

I liked their first record enough, saw them at ACL in '08 (and found it a little awkward).....so i was never a fervent follower, so i think i can approach Helplessness Blues from an objective standpoint. This record, in my opinion, is gorgeous. And it it's a huge grower. It took a number of listens to really sink in.

Saw them the other night in Boston, and it was rather epic. Started off slowly, crowd seated (theater show), and suddenly pockets of people stood up, and the whole place followed. Crowd was amazing - loud, raucous and appreciative after songs, and quiet during them. Still some awkward/funny band audience interactions, but this time it was charming and funny, compared to the "what are we doing here? why are we here?" hesitations of 3 years ago.

At first i was like "oh no - will i nod off during this?" - and then it turned into a what will be I'm sure a top show of the year.

Sound was amazing, and the live treatment of the songs really brought them to life.

totally the same as my experience in nashville.

It's going to be the slowest grower yet. I can't listen to the new one in the car because I get sleepy almost immediately. In fact, I still have no idea what's after about track 4 or 5. I just cannot seem to get into it. Any suggestions on tracks during the latter half of the album that perhaps have some more excitement?

It's going to be the slowest grower yet. I can't listen to the new one in the car because I get sleepy almost immediately. In fact, I still have no idea what's after about track 4 or 5. I just cannot seem to get into it. Any suggestions on tracks during the latter half of the album that perhaps have some more excitement?

The last track 'Grown Ocean' is my favorite off the album. Love this performance on the Jools Holland show (UK) from a couple of weeks ago.

i hear you, but i'd keep at it for a bit (for as long as you can take it i guess)

I *like* how this time the songs have more room to breath and open up. But in terms of something more immediate (and later in the record), i really find "Lorelei" to be one of the best things they've done.

Also - really give "The Shrine/An Argument" a try. That's one of the ones that open up into new avenues. I really love when it seems like there are two or three songs in one (and say what you want about the weird acid jazz freakout at the end - it's...interesting).

i can understand that...

but i guess myself, i saw the band twice before the debut album even came out and loved them from the first note of that first show hmm.gif

this is still probably in my top 3 on the year as well

i saw them at the ryman a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing. the harmonies echoed perfectly in there and the crowd (and band) were way into it.

easily will be in my top 5 concerts of 2011.

EDIT: just saw welch79 and completely agree.

What the hell, I can't find my helplessness blues disc anywhere, I don't remember ever losing a CD before. Must have fallen out of my work bag. I hate re-buying CD's, especially ones I just bought a week ago!

It's good for me to hear some of these reviews, I was on the fence about seeing them at Red Rocks but sounds like it's well worth it.

i really dig side c which is the cascades into lorelei into someone you'd admire. but then again, side a's pretty damn great too: montezuma into bedouin dress into sim sala bim. shit. just listen to it all.

i don't think you would hate to not get it because you wouldn't like it.

i don't get what you said...much less what you think i thought when you thought i was thinking what i thought.

Does anyone think Lorelai sounds similar to Dylan's 4th Time Around?

The beat and guitar work are very similar, as if it was a song they liked and then decided to give one of their songs it's arrangement.

The jazz freak-out is pretty cool, but then I remembered how they spoke of Kid A in the liners to their self-titled and now it's hard not to think it's an idea taken from The National Anthem. I still like it though.

The biggest question the album brings to my mind is how it and Midlake's The Courage of Others have very common influences and sounds, yet one is universal praised and one is universal panned. I like Helplessness Blues a lot more, too, but I'm not totally sure why. I haven't listened to Courage in a while, but I want to say it seemed too repetitive, like it really only had an EP's worth of ideas. Midlake seems very self contained and it may be to their detriment to not have ANY outside help or ideas.