Your childhood bicycle

Inspired by the Borders thread...

The first bike I ever wanted was a purple bike with flames on it that was for sale at Lionel Playworld. This must've been 1976, or something. I guess my parents didn't have enough money to buy it, so they bought a used girls bike from someone in the neighborhood and my dad went to work on it. He removed the girl-style top bar and welded a boy-style straight top bar onto it, and then attached a triangular plate between the top bar that had red flames painted on it. He also attached wooden blocks to the pedals because my legs weren't long enough to reach. And training wheels, of course.

I don't know if I remember the name of the first bike I had - it would have been around 1971.

I do recall at some point I had a Huffy bike with a shark on the seat, and one called a Huffy Bandit. I think this was towards the end of the 70s.

I think I also had a bike made by AMF, and some sort of red BMX bike.

Did anyone have one of these?

1976 AMF Evel Knievel

I also had a chopper bike with a gear shift that I found in a dump/junkyard.

79scramblertg4.jpg

Except mine was black and had a padded seat (always hated the hard plastic ones). It was around 78/79. I was the last among my friends to get a bike, I couldn't part with my big wheel.

A few of my friends had a Huffy Bandit.

I don't know if I remember the name of the first bike I had - it would have been around 1971.

I do recall at some point I had a Huffy bike with a shark on the seat, and one called a Huffy Bandit. I think this was towards the end of the 70s.

I think I also had a bike made by AMF, and some sort of red BMX bike.

The Bandit! I forgot all about that. A friend of mine had one and I got to ride it once. That thing is an ergonomic disaster.

My second bike was a no-name. Might've been an AMF, actually. It was blue and I upgraded it with velcro lightning bolt pads (pads with snaps were the lamest things ever once velcro pads came out).

That bike got stolen, and, out of anger, I immediately accused my neighor (who was something of a hood) and made him open his crawlspace to prove he didn't have it. Of course, he was innocent. My dad and I went to the police station a few dyas later. In their attic they had (wonder if they still have?) dozens of stolen/recovered bikes all set up in a row. The very last bike was mine and I got to bring it home with no hassle from the police. The pads were gone, and I eventually found out who took it (the redneckiest guy in the neighborhood).

Did anyone have one of these?

1976 AMF Evel Knievel

I remember seeing one of those. They just don't make things like they used to. :lol

Those grips are the type that put blisters all over your hands.

I took all the junk off The Bandit and turned into a chopper bike. I remember saving up to buy the blue metal flake paint that I used to repaint it. I wish I had a photo of it.

Did you have to reweld the frame to accomodate the chopper forks?

I always wanted one of those.

I think between my brother and I we also had some sort of 10 Speed bike. I don't recall the brand though. It may have came from Sears.

A lot of dudes just pounded the forks onto the existing forks. But my dad was a welder, so he did it right.

79scramblertg4.jpg

Except mine was black and had a padded seat (always hated the hard plastic ones). It was around 78/79. I was the last among my friends to get a bike, I couldn't part with my big wheel.

That's a pretty tough looking bike. Looks like something the kid who beat me up a couple times would have ridden. :lol

Columbia Misty Rose:

dsc05538.jpg

Except mine had a basket, and I put those multi-colored plastic spoke things on the wheels that made noise if you rode slowly.

I got it for Christmas in 1985 when I had just turned 6, complete with training wheels. Before it was warm enough to ride outside, I have very clear memories of riding it in circles down our basement while singing "Annie Christian" by Prince out loud. True story.

I also thought for quite awhile it said "Mystery Rose" and not "Misty Rose," and the first time I read it correctly I was disappointed.

That's a pretty tough looking bike. Looks like something the kid who beat me up a couple times up would have ridden. :lol

Well I definitively wasn't tough looking, I was a small,skinny torpe , though I always wore a flannel and jeans like my older sister's friends.

Mine had a chain guard, too. Always hated getting my jeans stuck in the chain.

I googled The Raleigh Chopper, I forgot all about those - man that was some bike.

My brother first bike the the Tornado.

PZSTOR1.JPG

I googled The Raleigh Chopper, I forgot all about those - man that was some bike.

Yea, you can't go to Walmart and get one of these:

I think I had the following accessories at some point: left/right indicator lights, headlight, a walkie-talkie that looked like a CB radio (mounted on the handle bars), colored straws on the spokes, a white antenna-like pole with an orange flag on it, and a thing that went on the handle grip that made a motorcycle sound when you turned the handle.

Raleigh_Chopper-001.jpg

IMG_0849.JPG

except mine was #7 (for my 7th birthday.) and it got stolen shortly after by the neighborhood thug.

That's the one I had, I stole it from somebody. Just kidding. That does look like the first bike I had though. Huffy was the thing to have back then. I would have loved that Knievel bike though!

IMG_0849.JPG

except mine was #7 (for my 7th birthday.) and it got stolen shortly after by the neighborhood thug.

I had a very similar Huffy. Used to love the huge seat. Mine was built like a tank, too. Not the fastest of bikes, but virtually indestructible. I ran into a parked car once and the huffy came away unscratched, while the car needed a chrome job.

1c573c1c.jpg

This is not my first bike, but I had this or something similar in the early '80's. I difinitely had the plastic spokes, and I also had the pain-in-the-ass, honeycombed patterned airless tires that collected pebbles, causing bumpy rides and stone-pulling stops.

What I remember the most about my first bike is sliding off the seat and landing on the straight bar. I sat on the side of the road, crying and whining in a high-pitched tone I didn't know I was capable of. I laid there until I could move again.

Mostly I still miss my Big Wheel. It's the most disheartening memory when I think about that agonizing feeling of that one day I hopped on the Big Wheel, started pedalling and that thing wouldn't move, despite the front wheel rotating with every thrust I made. Shit! That felt awful!

I had a low-end Diamondback BMX, IIRC.

Mr. Analogman, I saw that you planned to buy a BMX. I would recommend trying out some bikes at a bike shop to get a better idea of what you want, as a commuter, road, or mountain bike might be easier and more enjoyable to ride for an adult.

Walmart FTW

I'm riding it on the rail trail. I'm having my mid-life crisis.

Mostly I still miss my Big Wheel. It's the most disheartening memory when I think about that agonizing feeling of that one day I hopped on the Big Wheel, started pedalling and that thing wouldn't move, despite the front wheel rotating with every thrust I made. Shit! That felt awful!

My brother had the OG Big Wheel. I never had one. I had a tricycle.

Note: It was actually made out of metal, had real rubber tires, and was made in this country.

got knocked off it by a huge dog, and broke my arm when i was 4 years old - fond memories..... not!

It may be time for the men to talk about their rad jumping over things on bikes stories now.

I once saw a dude go off a 6 foot gravel pile. When he landed, certain parts of the bike and himself were not in such good shape.

It's the law here that one has to wear a helmet. I don't recall ever seeing anyone wear such a thing back in those days. I think they would have been beaten up.

I use to like build fires and jump over them on my bike. I did end up with some hot shoes a few times.

I also think I went sideways into a pine tree about 5 feet or so in the air once.

Froggie's story reminds me of the time my brother was jumping over some garbage cans on his bike. He already had a broken arm. He got some stitches on his head to go along with the cast.