• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt.

Oh, I would love to see that tour! I've seen both of them individually, but this is supposed to be an acoustic show with lots of collaborations. And of course they are both funny as hell. I hope you'll share your thoughts about the show later.

Oh, I would love to see that tour! I've seen both of them individually, but this is supposed to be an acoustic show with lots of collaborations. And of course they are both funny as hell. I hope you'll share your thoughts about the show later.

They were phenomenal together!  Lyle was relaxed, funny, and super-chatty.  John is more reserved, but he got off a few good cracks, and happily played several requests shouted out by the crowd.  They are both old favorites of mine, and I've seen Lyle Lovett too many times to count, usually with his Large Band.  It was my first time seeing John Hiatt, though I was reminded of how I used to listen to my cassette tapes (!) of Slow Turning and Bring the Family when I was in college.  They both told lots of stories between songs and traded off doing tunes.  Every few songs they'd do one together.  Some highlights for me were "L.A. County" which has a perverse beauty I love,  and "Memphis in the Meantime" which was raucous even acoustic.  Lyle Lovett's vocal on "Fiona" is just astounding.  He just belts that baby out like nobody else could.  They also did a fun duet on John's song "Thing Called Love" which of course was a hit for Bonnie Raitt.  Oh, and how can you not love "Perfectly Good Guitar?"

Running joke of the evening was that Lyle said he'll go up to one of his band members after they've messed something up during a show and say, "guitar is hard."  At one point, Lyle was doing a song and John joined in with a solo (I think it was "One Eyed Fiona") and the solo was kind of wonky, and Lyle quickly said "guitar is hard" and continued singing without missing a beat.  Later, John was trying to recall an old song someone had requested and had to stop because he couldn't remember it.  A guy in the balcony yelled "live shows are hard."  Lyle said, "Finally, someone who understands us!"

Lyle told too many funny stories to share without writing a novel, but my favorite was a story he told about being on tour with Reba McIntyre, who was a much bigger star than him and was very kind to him.  She insisted on him joining her to sign autographs.  People would come up with Reba posters and she'd sign and then hand them to Lyle to sign.  Finally a lady came up and had Reba sign her poster and then said to Lyle, "Can you please sign it on the back?"  He said that's when he knew music was the career for him :)

This show was just what I needed on a Thursday night after a woeful week and a weekend of work ahead :(

Well the dork in me is very excited to be seeing They Might Be Giants performing their first album live tomorrow!

:guitar

Which reminds me, when I moved to Boston in 1979, one of my new friends landed here from Providence, and introduced us to this band, The Mundanes.  We saw them many times in such famous clubs as The Rat, The Inn Square Men's Bar, and others. Speaking for myself, the lead singer Marsha attracted my boyhood fancy.  I'm sure many others as well. The keyboard player, John, went on to fame and fortune in TMBG.  Seeing The Mundanes many times, it was never obvious to us that he would be the one to make it.  But good for him. I've never seen TMBG in all these years.

Which reminds me, when I moved to Boston in 1979, one of my new friends landed here from Providence, and introduced us to this band, The Mundanes.  We saw them many times in such famous clubs as The Rat, The Inn Square Men's Bar, and others. Speaking for myself, the lead singer Marsha attracted my boyhood fancy.  I'm sure many others as well. The keyboard player, John, went on to fame and fortune in TMBG.  Seeing The Mundanes many times, it was never obvious to us that he would be the one to make it.  But good for him. I've never seen TMBG in all these years.

was there a lot of post-micturition shivering going on there?

How fucking great was Neko last night?

I lucked out too....turns out I just got a photo pass (which took ~25 min to sort out) and not a ticket...but a friend wasn't feeling good and bailed so she sent me the PDF ticket and I was good to go.

It was a great show.  What a voice.  And her harmonies with Kelly Hogan are sublime.  

Not one but two Heart covers ...

It was a great show.  What a voice.  And her harmonies with Kelly Hogan are sublime.  

Not one but two Heart covers ...

Amazing show! The crowd seemed really into to it (though I was hoping we'd stay standing for the encores). She and Kelly work so well together. 

Only bummer was not hearing Local Girl. Love those harmonies.