• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving Tree Band at Casa Santiago this coming Sunday night. Its certain to be a hot spot on a cold cold night. 7pm, I'll be at my regular spot at the bar. Look for the distinguished gent with the wild eyes.

Sweet. I prefer 'lectric but Jorma/Jack acoustic is a treat.

Great show by the Tuna boys. If I had to choose back in the day, I'd always prefer electric Tuna.  But over the years, Jorma's electric playing leaves me a little frustrated as I don't feel the electric sparks flying off the fretboard like I used to. But there's nothing about his acoustic playing that doesn't leave me as blown away as when I first saw them acoustic almost 40 years ago at the Academy of Music.

Lee Ranaldo and Steve Gunn.

Me too, I think.  Don't have a ticket yet.

Autumn Defense + Giving Tree, Leagues & Dick Prall

Is anyone going to this show? I was considering it, until work and weather beat the crap out of me this week. Also I can't seem to find any times the AD is going to be on. I don't care if these other groups are good or not, I only will make a foray to this new venue to see them and if I can't find out the time, forget it.

Let me know if you know.

LouieB

Great show by the Tuna boys. If I had to choose back in the day, I'd always prefer electric Tuna.  But over the years, Jorma's electric playing leaves me a little frustrated as I don't feel the electric sparks flying off the fretboard like I used to. But there's nothing about his acoustic playing that doesn't leave me as blown away as when I first saw them acoustic almost 40 years ago at the Academy of Music.

Amazing how long he and Jack have been playing together: since the coffee shops in D.C. before  S.F. and the Airplane.....

Is anyone going to this show? I was considering it, until work and weather beat the crap out of me this week. Also I can't seem to find any times the AD is going to be on. I don't care if these other groups are good or not, I only will make a foray to this new venue to see them and if I can't find out the time, forget it.

Let me know if you know.

LouieB

I'm going. I don't know the answer to your question. Based on the limited info, I would guess they go on around 10:45. I'm figuring that based on the below logic

Doors 8

Dick Prall 8:45-9:15

Giving Tree 9:45-10:15

AD 10:45-11:45

Leagues 12:15-1:30

I could be way off...

I'm going. I don't know the answer to your question. Based on the limited info, I would guess they go on around 10:45. I'm figuring that based on the below logic

Doors 8

Dick Prall 8:45-9:15

Giving Tree 9:45-10:15

AD 10:45-11:45

Leagues 12:15-1:30

I could be way off...

I appreciate your logic. That would seem logical. It's been a rough week and I think a crap shoot time for an AD show is a bit more than I want to deal with.

LouieB

I was on the fence about the Autumn Defense / Leagues show too, but don't have the energy to be out so late on a Friday after this week of bad weather and work.  Plus, I really hate the Concord Music Hall (saw Jason Isbell there a couple of months ago and seeing Justin Townes Earle there next week).  Will venture out tomorrow to the Old Town School of Folk to see Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys.  Ralph is about a zillion years old, so I'd better see him while I can :)  Should be some good old timey bluegrass.

well that was a kick ass night.

Steve Gunn is a major force on guitar. nice surprise to see Nathan Bowles on drums too; didn't even realize he played drums.

and Lee & band ruled. tons of the new LP, done up right. and some choice covers "She Cracked" and two Wire songs "Fragile" and "Mannequin". and after the show he hung around at the merch and talked to any and all, signing anything and posing w/ photos. 

I was on the fence about the Autumn Defense / Leagues show too, but don't have the energy to be out so late on a Friday after this week of bad weather and work.  Plus, I really hate the Concord Music Hall (saw Jason Isbell there a couple of months ago and seeing Justin Townes Earle there next week).  Will venture out tomorrow to the Old Town School of Folk to see Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys.  Ralph is about a zillion years old, so I'd better see him while I can :)  Should be some good old timey bluegrass.

My first time at Concord was last night. It is a really terrible venue. Looks nice enough, but the sound competes with the Aragon for worst in the City by my ears. Felt bad for the AD from a sound standpoint - they appeared to be having the same issue from the stage. And then there was the crowd, who barely noticed they were on the stage...

Hot Stove Cool Music which is this annual music and baseball related fundraiser and concert.  Performers include:

The Baseball Project (with Steve Wynn and Mike Mills)

Howie Day
Trigger Hippy feat. Joan Osborne, members of the Black Crowes
Kingsley Flood
The Hot Stove All-Stars featuring Peter Gammons, Theo Epstein, Paul Barrere of Little Feat, Buffalo Tom's Bill Janovitz, indie rocker Kay Hanley, Belly's Tanya Donelly,

My first time at Concord was last night. It is a really terrible venue. Looks nice enough, but the sound competes with the Aragon for worst in the City by my ears. Felt bad for the AD from a sound standpoint - they appeared to be having the same issue from the stage. And then there was the crowd, who barely noticed they were on the stage...

My experience was really similar.  Sound issues, obnoxious crowd.  I also wonder how it passed fire inspection, since everyone needs to file out the same way, down 2 flights of stairs.  If there is ever a fire in there during a show, people are going to fry.  Now I need to find something fire-retardant to wear to JTE next week  :ninjatorch

well that was a kick ass night.

Steve Gunn is a major force on guitar. nice surprise to see Nathan Bowles on drums too; didn't even realize he played drums.

and Lee & band ruled. tons of the new LP, done up right. and some choice covers "She Cracked" and two Wire songs "Fragile" and "Mannequin". and after the show he hung around at the merch and talked to any and all, signing anything and posing w/ photos.

I was there, last minute call. My experience was different. Missed Gunn. Didn't think Ranaldo was all that good. Not that familiar with all his stuff, but really didn't like the new songs, which I was hearing for the first time. Last/first time I saw him Lee Ranaldo Band, in summer of 2012 opening for Wilco in Hartford I was blown away. Had no expectations, hadn't heard any of the new album and ended up liking all those songs a lot. Was surprised how empty it was there.

And then to cap it off, at the end of the night, found my car had been towed.

yeah that set was really heavy on the new record. aside from the covers i think he only played 2 or 3 songs from the first one. bummer you missed Gunn, he had a really good set and is a masterful fingerpicking guitar man. i didn't realize Nathan Bowles was playing drums w/ him either; i did an interview w/ him last year at Hopscotch so it was cool to catch up a bit.

brighton is the center of tow trucks. that blows.

yeah that set was really heavy on the new record. aside from the covers i think he only played 2 or 3 songs from the first one. bummer you missed Gunn, he had a really good set and is a masterful fingerpicking guitar man.

I would have liked to have heard him. Masterful fingerpicking guitar man Jorma on Thursday night, would have been nice to go back to back nights with Gunn.