I have come to the option that we are two very different people and will never come to a consensus on any political matter. I think that neither of us will change the others mind.

Unfortunately, we both keep trying.

I'm certainly not on here to try to change anyone's mind on something. It's just fun to debate some things as long as the discourse remains civil. People do tend to get fired up pretty easily around here, though.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if Santorum gets elected politics and religion will be one and they same.

true, but he won't. luckily.

Politics can literally end friendshps. I have recounted this before, but will again. I had a very old and dear friend who decided to start writing email screeds regarding Obama's anti-Israel position, even before he was elected. These diatribes were peppered with birther, secret Islamic crap and I asked him to either stop sending them to me or let me respond to his mailing list. He would not let me respond to his mailing list, so I figured he really lwasn't interested in a dialogue at all. His main thing was that ONLY Israel mattered and that Obama was out to destroy it, so let's destroy Obama. I have not been in contact with him since before the 2008 election and really don't care to be.

Four years in Israel still exists and Obama hasn't proven to be all that bad for Israel at all. Admittedly he isn't towing the greater Israel, line or the let's bomb everyone line, so I suppose that can be construed as anti-Israel But if anything, internal issues within are as big a problem as Iran's bomb or the threat of the Palestinians overrunning Israel. And Obama does keep towing the middle ground on Israel enough that most American Jews don't find him that much of a threat to the Jewish people or Isreal and will continue to keep voting for him and giving money to the Democrats.

Meanwhile I am sure my ex-friend still foams at the mouth over every small policy difference the Obama White House seems to have that is disagreement with the Israeli government. But ultimately the Isreal lobby continues to hold sway over both the executive and legislative branches of the US government. I just decided to step away from a conflict I don't wnat to be involved in.

LouieB

heres a good one i found on redstate the other day:

Repent people of your sins....Ask Jesus Christ to be your personal savior....Jesus will have to come to rapture his church in the next year since Obama is scheduled to start microchipping people in December.....Tribulation will be here soon.....Don't be left behind......I have posted the Gospel of Jesus Christ on my notes section on my wall for all to read. Be Save...d,,,be ready to go with Christ......what is coming is going to be a nightmare......and all that will be left behind are these hateful muslims who practice beheading people and believe me the FEMA did order 110,000 prison railcars with guillotines built in....they will behead all who reject the mark of the beast and testify about their faith in Jesus.....It will be horrific....but that is Islam....."Submit to Islam or die." Our president is a muslim put here by the Saudis with the one goal of destroying america and establishing Sharia Law.....Run from Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton and Obama....And remember our Jewish friends have already calculated the number of the beast 666....William Jefferson Clinton thru gemetria adds up to 666 in both the Hebrew and Greek languages and Hillary in One of the languages. Do not count on being able to vote Obama out or Impeach him....because the Bible says "That wicked one will prosper until his indignation is complete." It is prophesy in the bible.....Protect yourself by Accepting Jesus as your savior and refuse the Mark of the Beast regardless of fines, prison, or death......remember Jesus is faithful and he will raise us from death to eternal life no matter how we die... God Bless my readers.

I recently reconnected with an old neighbor on Facebook. We exchanged the perfunctory catch-up msgs with each other - we hadn't talked in probably 20 yrs - everything was good and normal. Then I started looking at some of her old posts - turns out that shes one of those Obama is the anti-Christ/end of the world types.

We had a small skirmish once - she posted an obviously fake photo of Obama & tried to pass it off as real. When I proved to her it was fake, her response was that it's still useful to share because it was the type of thing Obama would do. :lol

At that point I realized I was wasting my time... but I've kept her as a "friend" for entertainment purposes.

I have decided it is time to actually read "Revelations". I gotta find out what all the fuss is about.

Why do people need to make shit up about Obama? Does racism really run that deep in this country or is it simplly people are that wacked out. I can honestly understand (to a degree) people being upset about the "reach" of government, but I just don't understand how Obama could possibly be any worse than the way things have been for decades in regards to government control of our lives.

LouieB

I have decided it is time to actually read "Revelations". I gotta find out what all the fuss is about.

Why do people need to make shit up about Obama? Does racism really run that deep in this country or is it simplly people are that wacked out. I can honestly understand (to a degree) people being upset about the "reach" of government, but I just don't understand how Obama could possibly be any worse than the way things have been for decades in regards to government control of our lives.

LouieB

Unfortunately, I think a lot of the venom towards Obama can be traced back to racism. Everyone will certainly deny it, but for a large section of the country, Obama's skin color exacerbates the issue for those people.

It's also weird how the health care issue has unfolded among a portion of the Republican base. I'm not sure why attacking birth control and women's reproductive rights is seen as a means of attacking the PPACA. Especially in the guise of religious freedom. Then again, I hate how the abortion issue has remained as strong as ever in the national political discourse.

I don't know why I bother, but you do realize that HR 347 was just an extension of current law, which passed the House 399-3 -- right?

But yes, Obama is singlehandedly destroying free speech. omfg!!!!

So you are excusing him of his responsibility to veto such a bill? So he decided to just go along with it because a practice which is wrong should continue based on the fact that a precedent has been set to ignore the Constitution. You do know what is says in the Constitution about freedom of assembly, speech and the press don't you? I don't care if it is codifying current practice or not. If it is, that current practice is also unconstitutional and you should be very concerned about the president's position on that issue if you claim to desire liberty. The currently occupant of the White House claims to be a Constitutional scholar. He either knows what he is doing or he is a complete moron. I believe it's the former. He has signed the NDAA, ACTA treaty and pushed for SOPA before the public outcry helped stop it temporarily. It will be back under a new form that will destroy the last bastion of free thought and discussion that we are enjoying in this very debate on the internet. If you think that is not important then we are in big trouble as a nation my friend. And don't forget he has assigned himself the power to assassinate American citizens he deems dangerous. That I believe is destroying Constitutional guarantees of liberty. How can you possibly argue against freedom? If this was George Bush you'd all be going crazy. I don't care if it's Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Nixon, FDR or John Adams. This is a violation of the constitution and your man signed it into law. There is no excuse for it. Unfortunately, you are all going to get what you wish for. Remember what our friend Ben Franklin said, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Congress shall make no law...

c2d925977252f190987fe03830ad61d3.png

I don't think it can be any clearer than that.

This is a violation of the constitution and your man signed it into law.

"Your man" interesting choice of words. Would rather you used "our President."

So tired when people do not give the proper respect to the man who was elected as President. He is our president no matter if you like him or not.

But I am being petty.

So you are excusing him of his responsibility to veto such a bill?

basically, yes. Vetoing an extension & minor re-write (sorry, freedom-ending changes!!!!) to an established law from 1971 -- a bill which passed with 99% approval in the House and 100% in the Senate -- would have been a really dumb move for the President to make.

Power to the sheeple...

I read that was the title Lennon was going to go with - Yoko nixed it, though.

I am an Obama supporter, but I wish he would have vetoed it.

basically, yes. Vetoing an extension & minor re-write (sorry, freedom-ending changes!!!!) to an established law from 1971 -- a bill which passed with 99% approval in the House and 100% in the Senate -- would have been a really dumb move for the President to make.

Let's see who was President in 1971? Oh yea Richard Nixon. Boy that was the good old days, no one took away any personal freedoms under that guy.

LouieB

Can the Secret Service Tell You To Shut Up?

by Andrew P. Napolitano

This abominable legislation enjoyed overwhelming support from both political parties in Congress because the establishment loves power, fears dissent and hates inconvenience, and it doesn't give a damn about the Constitution. It passed the Senate by unanimous consent, and only three members of the House voted against it. And the president signed it in secret. It is more typical of contemporary China than America. It is more George III than George Washington.

Read more:

http://lewrockwell.c...litano45.1.html

The Death-Dealing 'Divinity' in the White House

Barack Obama rarely indulges in public displays of dictatorial arrogance. He leaves this to underlings like Eric Holder, Leon Panetta, FBI Director Robert Mueller, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. In testimony before separate congressional committees on the same day (March 7), Panetta and Mueller made clear the president’s view that his power to kill people – both at home and abroad – is not subject to congressional checks or legal restraints of any kind.

In testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta pointedly refused to recognize that Congress, not the president, has the constitutional authority to commit the United States military to war overseas. Panetta provoked outrage among conservatives by claiming that the UN Security Council or NATO could authorize military intervention abroad. However, less attention was paid to the fact that Panetta’s formulation cut Congress out of this matter entirely – a logical and predictable extension of the Bush administration’s claim that the president, in his role as Grand and Glorious Decider, has plenary authority to wage war wherever he chooses, against whatever target he selects.

On the same day, FBI Director Robert Mueller was asked about Holder’s claim – made before an audience of law students at Northwestern University a few days earlier – that the president can order the execution of American citizens without trial or due process of any kind. Mueller was specifically asked if that applies to Americans living at home, as well as abroad. He artlessly ducked the question by claiming he would "have to go back" and check if it was addressed in administration policy.

The president has not been granted authority to order the assassination of anyone, of course. Doing so is (in descending order of seriousness) an act of criminal homicide and an impeachable offense. Or at least it would be considered as much by anybody other than those who subscribe to the perverse idea that the president is a figure who transcends the law, who "unassailable holds onto his rank," irrespective of the moral nature of his actions.

This was the essence of Eric Holder’s detestable claim that a presidential kill order, made in secret on the recommendation of an anonymous, unaccountable panel of underlings, satisfies the requirement of "due process." That vile notion was reiterated by

http://lewrockwell.c...grigg-w250.html

Obama Administration Seeks More Secrecy for Govt. Files | Print |

Written by Joe Wolverton, II

March 16 is the birthday of James Madison, known as the "Father of the Constitution." Several years ago, the American Society of News Editors initiated a program called Sunshine Week, intended to coincide with the birthday of this illustrious Founding Father. The purpose of Sunshine Week was "to educate the public about the importance of open government and the dangers of excessive and unnecessary secrecy."

Despite the forecasted clear skies, there are clouds looming on the horizon. Not surprisingly, the clouds are blowing in from the White House. Despite promises from President Obama that his election had ushered in "a new era of open government," especially regarding its response to the Freedom of Information Act, the behavior of one of his bureaucrats belies this boast.

In testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, Justice Department Director of the Office of Information Policy, Melanie Ann Pustay (pictured above), called on Congress to weaken the Freedom of Information of Act [FOIA] and strengthen the ability of the federal government to prevent the disclosure of documents deemed critical to the safety of the nation's cybersecurity and infrastructure.

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/11189-obama-administration-seeks-more-secrecy-for-govt-files

Sidewalks and street lights sure appear to be more important to you than the destruction of the Constitution.The same way they have always been built. It's a local issue and the local authorities can pay for them as they choose. Or you could start a sidewalk/lamp post company and build them yourself. Libertarianism doesn't mean there is no government, it means limited government. Look it up...

Picture of the day...

r-money.jpg

I just love this destruction of the Constitution talk. if we had it Sparky's way the Constitution would be exactly the same as it was back when it was written including slaves and no voting for women, etc. the Constitution just isn't that fragile. Ain't buying it.

LouieB

Why do people need to make shit up about Obama? Does racism really run that deep in this country or is it simplly people are that wacked out.

LouieB

You are on a board where someone just posted 'Don't Re-Nig in 2012' as an example of a 'good' recent bumper sticker they had seen. Question answered.

Sidewalks and street lights sure appear to be more important to you than the destruction of the Constitution.The same way they have always been built. It's a local issue and the local authorities can pay for them as they choose. Or you could start a sidewalk/lamp post company and build them yourself. Libertarianism doesn't mean there is no government, it means limited government. Look it up...

Picture of the day...

r-money.jpg

Photoshop

You are on a board where someone just posted 'Don't Re-Nig in 2012' as an example of a 'good' recent bumper sticker they had seen. Question answered.

Yea, actually that was pretty much of a rhetorical question. I know what the answer is.

Regarding armed guards, etc, to protect the President. Obviously they ARE necessary because there is a pretty clear record of assassination successes and attempts. I am all in favor of free speech, all of it. But even for that there are some limitations. And of course unlimited amounts of money are now classified as speech, so despite all the talk of saving the Constitution, the concept of free speech is a bit different now than 200 years ago. And of course back then, not everyone could vote either. So some speech was NOT protected even back then.

So many cracks in so many pots. How do some of us have time and energy ot read all that crap anyway?

LouieB

I am glad Americans have become optimistic about the future.. Best judge of optimism is the stock market.. DJIA when Bus...h left office = 6427, DJIA now over 13,000.. Also glad tens of millions of Americans didn't have their retirement funds swept away due to destructive Republican policies.. Also glad Bin Laden is history.. Also glad Gaddafi is history.. Also glad there has been NO successful terrorist attacks in our country under this president.. Also glad, for the first time in 5 decades, America's dependence on foreign oil is below 50%.. Also glad; for the first time in 20 years, manufacturing companies are relocating back to the US.. Also glad America's auto industry is alive, stronger, and more proffitable than ever, consequently saving millions of jobs.. Also glad the global community no longer thinks we have an idot in the White House.. Also, I'm glad indeed we have a president who denounces torture.. I'm definately glad we have a president that realizes the health of our citizenry is directly related to the health of our society.. Also, I'm glad we have a president that believes women are capable of making decisions concerning their own body.. Heck, I'm just glad to know we have a mentally stable individual in the White House..

DJIA was 8776.39 in December of 2008.

...6626.4 in March of 2009