"But it may have to take a Democratic loss to prove this to everyone."

already did that when those jackasses talked junk on gore in 2000 and some voted for Nader.

perfect example of the american people taking great leadership for granted and being completely short sighted.

then came Kerry and i dont know what happened. the morning after kerry lost i went into a funk (there was some anti gay vote involved as well that made me very angry. i was living in dupont circle DC at the time and surrounded by loving gay couples and i knew they were whats good in america)

anyway for a few years i stopped reading my usual political bios and so forth and focused on trying not to let president bush affect me in any way. luckily things got better in iraq so that was good.

i was even still weary in 08 but after the president has been at it now for awhile it makes me sick to see the same script they used against clinton being played out once again and people falling for it is even worse. but we NEVER need to get anymore proven to us again and anyone that lived thru bush and doesnt see this need a head check

My point exactly. People have very short memories on both sides of the spectrum. Clearly I don't really want this, but I have taken up a very dark personal joke which is to swear at Obama every time I get gas. Clearly he has NOTHING to do with gas prices, but since everyone absurdly thinks he does, it is kind of funny. Or not!! Everyone including my leftie friends seem to think Obama should be some sort of dictator and control everything. The US government simply doesn't work that way.

While I totally agree with you about the 2000 election (there are Nader supporters out there who still don't get it, (rerun the threads from those years), Kerry was simply not all that strong a candidate against the incumbant Bush and his stoked up war machine.

This article is very good regarding how difficult actually governing is.

But just think, in a few short months this will be all over, all over again.

LouieB

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rice would be a decent choice - but I don't think she will be it, though - the conservative base hasn't been her biggest fan. I don't think it would be wise to pick anyone from the Bush circle - he did spend a shit load of money...

I wouldn't completely rule out Bachman - though she may have already ruled herself out, already.

A Rice/Biden debate would be interesting, though - Bachman/Biden, not so much.

Niki Halley would be another logical pick. She is moderate, femaile, ethnic, not connected to Bush, and most imporatnly, not batshit crazy.

LouieB

I thought she said (at least) that she was not interested - could be wrong about that, though - would be a good choice.

"South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley Says She'd Turn Down VP Nod"

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/News/south-carolina-gov-nikki-haley-shed-turn-vp/story?id=16050396#.T4WvCtk6zTo

Which doesn't mean she won't change her mind...

Edited by calvino

It will be Boston/Austin III with Kay Bailey Hutchinson as Republican VP, which should make for fun times in the Texas Political scene (Perry and Hutchinson HATE each other)

It will be Boston/Austin III with Kay Bailey Hutchinson as Republican VP

Too much of an insider/career Washington politician. She is pro-choice - which is great, but not sure how it will fly on the Republican ticket, but then again, perhaps that's what the Republican ticket needs.

Yeah, I'm really at a loss re: how Romney is going to make his VP decision. Does he pick someone TP-friendly like Marco Rubio or Rand Paul to get conservatives excited about voting for the ticket, or does he pick someone like Haley and try to regain his moderate image with independents?

Santorum pushed him so far to the right that it might be tough for Romney to credibly say "No, really, I'm a moderate!" on certain key issues like immigration and reproductive rights. Does he risk perpetuting the flip-flopper image and back off those positions now, or does he stand pat making the GOP base happy at the expense of independents?

If Romney picks as big a douche as Rubio or Ryan, I will feel obligated to actively campaign for Obama again. Not really into it, but I will do it. I live in Florida, and know more about Rubio in particular than the average citizen. He is a world class shithead.

Rob Portman's name seems to be getting floated quite a bit out there in the blogosphere.

I also read a column today that suggested Olympia Snowe. Interesting idea. It would alienate the Tea Partiers, but would certainly make people feel more confident that Rom-Bot is really a moderate and not the batshit type he has been posing as for the last few months...

If Romney picks as big a douche as Rubio or Ryan, I will feel obligated to actively campaign for Obama again. Not really into it, but I will do it. I live in Florida, and know more about Rubio in particular than the average citizen. He is a world class shithead.

Please share some specifics of what you know about Rubio that turns you off. I don't know much about him, other than his name is being thrown around on every news station.