That's a serious concern. I think it's much more likely, though, that he stand aside to let Israel bomb their reactors. Obama could very well let Israel do the same thing. I don't see Iran's quest for a nuclear weapon ending well at all.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a joke, and I appreciate it, but (and it's easy to say this now as a 41 year old) wars should include drafts and bonds. If it's important enough to go to war, it's important enough for all of us. And when we go to war we should expect sacrifice through service or financial burden to pay for it.

Actually I don't think the draft is a joke either. I am guessing we would be long out of Afganistan and have been out of Iraq much quicker too, if everyone was drafted. There would be a whole lot less talk about bombing Iran also.

The irony of Mitt Romney visiting Poland where a labor union brought down a regime is also pretty sweet.

LouieB

I know this is a joke, and I appreciate it, but (and it's easy to say this now as a 41 year old) wars should include drafts and bonds. If it's important enough to go to war, it's important enough for all of us. And when we go to war we should expect sacrifice through service or financial burden to pay for it.

It's important enough to never go to war because almost all of them are a total joke and a meat grinder for young Americans and their unlucky targets. The last four decades of military sacrifice have been shamefully in vein. Fighting communism? Terrorism? As an American this garbage embarrasses me.

I'm really into paying taxes, but not for killing people abroad. There's my savings plan.

In vein ideasm.

Couldn't agree more. I'd absolutely hate to have my kids sent away to war -- especially a war I didn't agree with -- and that's the point.

Right now, the vast majority of us aren't affected by our military endeavors at all. So even if we disagree with what's going on, we don't personally have anything to lose so what's the big deal?

Only one of these is an idiom.

Rob Base & DJ E Z Rock were not just whistling Dixie.

Only one of these is an idiom.

Fair enough, my spelling was in vain. I don't know if "a meat grinder for young Americans" has fully entered into the common vernacular. Maybe I can get this year's candidates to start using it. We could have pundits saying: "But what does Obama propose for the meat grinder?"

It appears Romney not only has a hard time understanding the dynamics of poverty on a domestic level, he also struggles to comprehend them at an international level:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/30/1115049/-Romney-defends-insulting-Palestinians-Hey-I-also-said-Mexico-s-culture-sucks-And-Ecuador-s-too

Mitt would suggest that the economic superiority of Israel in comparison to Palestine is due to Israel's cultural superiority. He believes the Jewish folk are just plain better at making money. After receiving all the grief expected he expanded his statement to some other examples:

For instance, the campaign said, after mentioning the per capita G.D.P. of Israel and Palestine, Mr. Romney also said: “And that is also between other countries that are near or next to each other. Chile and Ecuador, Mexico and the United States.”

There have been some wise words on here about the 24 hour news cycle blowing gaffes out of proportion. I feel that at this point the Romney campaign trip abroad has gone beyond a simple problem of misspeaking. We are seeing just how poorly prepared Romney would be to lead the nation. He can't go anywhere without offending other countries (including England's Prime Minister). He also seems to have a fundamental ignorance on the topic of poverty. Romney has consistently shown a privileged misunderstanding that it's always poor people's fault, and therefore someone else's problem.

So wait...

The GOP is pissed that this birth control provision in the new health care law infringes on an insurance company's freedom of religion (the govt is forcing them to provide birth control) but they're not bothered when an insurance company makes a decision (denying coverage for birth control) that infringes on a citizen's freedom from religion?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/mike-kelly-birth-control-mandate_n_1729242.html

"I know in your mind, you can think of the times America was attacked," he said at a press conference on Capitol Hill. "One is Dec. 7, that's Pearl Harbor Day. The other is Sept. 11, and that's the day the terrorists attacked. I want you to remember Aug. 1, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom. That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates."

:no

Romney has consistently shown a privileged misunderstanding that it's always poor people's fault, and therefore someone else's problem.

Unfortunately - much to the chagrin of the saner Republicans out there - that has become the de facto GOP platform. It is an Ayn Rand/social Darwinism view of the world. If you are not rich, that sucks for you, but it's your own damn fault. You should have pulled yourself up by your own boot straps, blah blah blah. The demonization of the poor (lazy, entitled, etc) has now expanded to the middle class, where teachers, policemen and firefighters are targeted too.

It seems many of them will not be satisfied until the nation in 2013 resembles the nation in 1913 more.

I guess if everybody gave up believing in our government the way I have this country would really go to shit, so for that I applaud everyone participating in this thread. I'm not a conspiracist....I don't think there is some secret society running the country, I just believe that the number of politicians who are driven by greed and ego far outweigh the number who actually react for the benefit of the country. Partisanship has taken this country to a place that I'm not sure it can recover from without an all out class war. America was built on greed and ego but that fervor was directed towards other global powers that were a threat, not fellow Americans. All great societies eventually succumb to the same faults and we're well on our way. Fox and MSNBC among others of course are only fanning the flames and create one hell of a diversion. As lower and middle class people argue and divide over things like gay marriage and gun laws the suits in Washhington are all probably tipping their brandy glasses to each other with a wink as they count their money.

There's a difference between believing that poverty is one's own fault and simply believing that government programs cannot alleviate poverty.

Romney has demonstrated he believes in the former, while attacking Obama for falling victim to the latter.

Romney has demonstrated he believes in the former,

How? His campaign seems to be built on the principle that Obama's stimulus (govt programs) have failed to help the unemployed. Elect him and he will empower the job creators to help those who are. Now, I'm not saying he's right, but how does he demonstrate that he believes poverty is one's own fault?

Then why is he directing his tax breaks towards the wealthy but not the working class?

Why does he think Israel is richer than Palestine because they're "culturally better"?

Why would he put so much energy in repealing the Affordable Care Act that just today insured the health of millions of women who were not formerly covered?