We REALLY need that new record...

The natives are getting restless. We have people fussing at each other over whether or not the new record will suck. We have people fussing over whether or not the last two records suck. Now we have people fussing at moderators.

It's time for that new record and it can't come too soon.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The natives are getting restless. We have people fussing at each other over whether or not the new record will suck. We have people fussing over whether or not the last two records suck. Now we have people fussing at moderators.

We should change this site's name from VC to D.C.

Guest Speed Racer

Yes, because when I think of times of calm and harmony at VC, I always think of times directly following the release of a new album.

:angry

I can see you must be one of those people. Sorry to offend you, but Ive been a member of that board since 2003, and it has going seriously down hill. The release of the new album, the whining, the speculation of a part 2, and all the other nonsense crap that goes on there is amazing. If I were a mod half the members would have been banned months ago. I just hate fake posts, rickrolls, 700 page threads with nothing but moronic jokes, etc. The place totally sucks now.

I hope this board doesnt go as far south.

Yes, because when I think of times of calm and harmony at VC, I always think of times directly following the release of a new album.

My favorites are the threads that happen (well, maybe there have only been two of them) while the album streams for the first time. There are wonderful peaks and valleys of blind excitement and disappointed rage!

Guest Speed Racer

My favorites are the threads that happen (well, maybe there have only been two of them) while the album streams for the first time. There are wonderful peaks and valleys of blind excitement and disappointed rage!

Three! The AGIB streaming thread was funny shit. Peaks and valleys are tame words to describe that thread.

I was on the At Ease boards for the release of HTTT, In Rainbows, and KOL. The quanity of quality posts has declined there over the years. It's mostly just avatar jokes and rick rolls now.

Every once in a while a thread appears that is worth reading..the essential live thread is pretty amazing.

I've never heavily posted in a Radiohead section of that board. I dig the band, but the last place I'd want to discuss their music is a place filled with superfans.

The best Radiohead discussions I've seen on atease are in the non-Radiohead music forum. Because that band's not perfect, and the super fans can't seem to accept that. A Radiohead discussion in the non-Radiohead forum will be honest, even if you have to wade through some trolling.

But if you want a totally non-jokey environment, the music forum has plenty of solid threads that are 100% on topic about great music.

LOL

cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

Well...now that my thread is being hijacked, I will throw a little gasoline on the fire.

There should be a middle ground between "Wilco is the greatest band and I am really looking forward to the new release", and "Their last two records sucked, I'm sure the new one will suck."

Wilco has drawn lines in the sand for their fans on a couple of occasions. Parts of Being There were literally shocking to the old school UT fans. Misunderstood, Sunken Treasure, Hotel Arizona surely didn't sound like good old Alt Country Wilco. Summerteeth was even more shocking to the system for some fans. It retrospect I'm sure EVERYBODY here loved it upon first hearing. But, I remember some definitely shocked and bewildered fans.

YHF? Goes without saying. AGIB? There was a lot of internet blood spilled here over that one.

I have to harken back to this: Bands cannot and should not remain static. Growth and change are necessary. Sometimes bands move in directions that some fans cannot reconcile themselves to. I've had that happen for me with respect to REM and possibly Springsteen (jury still out there). I moved on. It's not a bad thing to outgrow or be outgrown by a band. It's not a sad thing. It is simply the nature of things.

Guest Speed Racer

There is a middle ground between the "I'm so excited for the new album!" posts and the "I'm not sure I'll like it." posts, Crow. Lots of middle ground. The thread is what, 7 pages long? There's lots of people who've posted, "The jury's still out," or just don't want to participate at all because they don't want to bash/love on an album they haven't heard yet. I can't blame the moderate fans* for not wanting to post in a thread regarding something they haven't heard yet.

Maybe you don't notice it because you seem to be bothered by the extremes? That you're only noticing the nails that are sticking out and not the ones that are pounded down?

* Not "moderate" like "I'm so-so on Wilco" but "moderate" like their opinions are more nuanced, perhaps, and not one extreme or the other.