I had another point that slipped my mind. The Office: I think that they need a much harsher boss to really change the dynamic. At least for half a season, before someone funnier comes along. I don't think they'll let anyone know who replaces Steve Carell until at least a few weeks before the premiere. I liked the idea of David Brent coming on, but I'm not sure if Gervais wants to "ruin" his legacy on his original show by reprising his character. Edit part 2: I seem to remember reading somewhere that Gervais wanted either Will Forte or John Hodgman to be the replacement. Will Forte would have his unique brand of manic comic energy that would seem to be fine, but I can't get on board for Hodgman who would seem too much like Rainn Wilson's Dwight.

I could see them going with Will Arnett.

So Fistful of Paintballs anyone? Thought Josh Holloway was a bit under used, but it was another awesome episode.

Even though this episode didn't have the piss-your-pants laughing moments of others, it might be my favorite Community episode. The whole look and style blew me away. I'm REALLY excited for part 2!!!

I'd say Parks and Recreation won the night for me. I didn't think the Community episode, or The Office was all that great. Or maybe it was due to having two episodes of Parks and Recreation to watch.

I loved that Andy line about Neutral Milk Hotel. He said something about them being "sad, depressing, weird, and art". I'll take Mouse Rat any day.

Seeing them all drunk at the bar was pretty funny and Ron giving the young girl student a land mine cracked me up.

Last week's Community was funnier than last night's, I didn't catch Office.

Maybe there should be a separate Parks & Recreation thread.

Separate from the Community thread, at least.

I don't think any one is stopping you from starting one.

I personally like how this thread has turned in the NBC Thursday Night comedies thread.

i began watching this when it started b/c i'm a joel mchale fan, but it just didn't grab me. maybe it sputtered a bit starting off?

I had the same initial reaction. The show started very shaky, far too reliant on common archetypes and conventional sitcom scenarios. I was ready to abandon it, but my wife liked it so we kept watching. I'm glad I didn't give up on it: After a few weeks it began to find its voice, and at this point it's probably one of the best shows on TV.

• 1 year later...

They moved it to Friday nights. Where shows go to die.

They also shortened Parks and Recreation next season also.

This year I liked the one about the Dean's commercial, the air conditioning stuff, Inspector Spacetime, and Chang's takeover.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...