Since I haven't seen a thread on this in the archives,... let's talk about Community, a comedy on NBC television network (and streaming on Hulu).

The episode Critical Film Studies has easily convinced me that this is one of the best episodes of television this year as well as the best 1/2 hour comedy on air since Arrested Development. Not only do they do homages well, but they have excellent control of the variety of ways to elicit humorous responses, which range from black comedy to slapstick. Please, tell me I'm not the only one keeping this show alive.

I love the show and all its irreverent and satirical ways. Definitely one of the few shows I watch religiously.

How odd and creepy? I literally just finished the episode of which you speak of. I know that I'm a month behind on my Thursday Night NBC sitcoms, but maybe I'm doing that on purpose.

We actually have spoken about Community in The Office thread and a thread which I started last September about the new Fall TV program schedule.

Anyways, it's the best comedy on tv hands down. Every episode is memorable and easy to recall, since they can be very differently done.

Abed is the best. Some of my favorite episodes:

Modern Warfare

Contemporary American Poultry

Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples

Critical Film Studies

Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas

I also really like Parks and Recreation. This is mainly due to Ron, April, and Andy.

They should do some cross-over episodes like they use to do on sitcoms back in the 70s.

Abed is the best. Some of my favorite episodes:

Modern Warfare

Contemporary American Poultry

Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples

Critical Film Studies

Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas

I also really like Parks and Recreation. This is mainly due to Ron, April, and Andy.

They should do some cross-over episodes like they use to do on sitcoms back in the 70s.

Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas is a also a pretty anomalous and yet great highlight of the show. Dino Stamatopoulos even helped write that episode. I'm still a pretty big fan of Moral Orel. Back to topic, I noticed a small shift and evolution in the show during Mixology Certification that brought the show outside of the Greendale zone with a serious and yet humorous tone. I thought that was a great exploration that didn't meander like many other series would. I definitely prefer the episodes where they place spotlight on a character or two. Unfortunately, I find Paradigms Of Human Memory the weakest of all the episodes, mostly due to it being a clip show despite it being a parody of clip shows.

Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas is a also a pretty anomalous and yet great highlight of the show. Dino Stamatopoulos even helped write that episode. I'm still a pretty big fan of Moral Orel. Back to topic, I noticed a small shift and evolution in the show during Mixology Certification that brought the show outside of the Greendale zone with a serious and yet humorous tone. I thought that was a great exploration that didn't meander like many other series would. I definitely prefer the episodes where they place spotlight on a character or two. Unfortunately, I find Paradigms Of Human Memory the weakest of all the episodes, mostly due to it being a clip show despite it being a parody of clip shows.

I saw that one - but did not really pay attention to it.

The one tonight seemed sort of lacking.

Yeah it was and the Community episode was better than tonight's Office.

I think I liked The Office better. It looks like the next few episodes are going to be wacky.

Parks and Recreation is off to a good start. I just think April and Andy are great.

When I was at the doctor's office last year, the girl working behind the counter was like a real life version of April.

I just didn't laugh much during the Office, perhaps the point was it was supposed be "bitter-sweet" - I don't like "bitter-sweet" stuff, especially when it comes to a comedy sitcom. The Toby/Micheal and Kevin/Micheal moments was funny.

I just didn't laugh much during the Office, perhaps the point was it was supposed be "bitter-sweet" - I don't like "bitter-sweet" stuff, especially when it comes to a comedy sitcom. The Toby/Micheal and Kevin/Micheal moments was funny.

The Toby's brother deal was funny.

Did that really happen...I remember when Mr. Carleson from WKRP molested them.

But that was Arnold and a friend, not Willis, right? I think Willis might have beat his ass.

But that was Arnold and a friend, not Willis, right? I think Willis might have beat his ass.

Right it was Dudley.

I always think of that and the Whats Happening with the Doobie Brothers (2 parts)...Rerun was taping the show because he had a debt to pay....LLLLLOOOOLLLL

i'm glad to hear that you all have a high opinion of this show.

i began watching this when it started b/c i'm a joel mchale fan, but it just didn't grab me. maybe it sputtered a bit starting off?

anyway, i may have to get caught up on dvd and pick this back up.

unrelated (but alluded to in this thread): i thought last night's office was a nice ending point for the show. the reason why i bring this point up is that maybe i will replace watching the office (and just imagine it over) with community. i get lost when i try to follow too many shows.

i'm glad to hear that you all have a high opinion of this show.

i began watching this when it started b/c i'm a joel mchale fan, but it just didn't grab me. maybe it sputtered a bit starting off?

anyway, i may have to get caught up on dvd and pick this back up.

unrelated (but alluded to in this thread): i thought last night's office was a nice ending point for the show. the reason why i bring this point up is that maybe i will replace watching the office (and just imagine it over) with community. i get lost when i try to follow too many shows.

Community, The Office, and Parks and Recreation are the only comedies I watch these days. I use to think Parks and Recreation was a Office rip-off, but I don't feel that it is now.

Speaking of Joel, another great episode of Community is Physical Education.

Just got my Entertainment Weekly in the mail and there was a picture of a certain someone from a beloved show that ended last May who has a big part in Community's 2 part Season 2 Finale: a sequel to Paint Ball. He looks "bonkers". {not really sure how I feel about such a creative show going back to an idea that seemed novel the first time, but hey it looks like they are upping the ante on this one.}

FYI: Comcast subscribers take note that FOX and ABC have finally let their shows be uploaded to their On Demand Programming. I'm not sure about Hulu yet, but for Comcast it's kind of weird. You can't fast forward through the program *I only looked at one Fox show (Traffic Light :yucky ) to see if it was indeed for real. Edit: Duh. Oh yeah?!?! They wait until the last days of April to finally show their shows on On Demand. Fucking lame.

RE: Community

I'm not sure if it was always the show's intent to have a different type of format from week to week. I know that the series initially started by alternating between characters to introduce them by focusing an episode on them. I can't really place where the show started being like it is now.

I found the 1st season of Community at Wal*Mart last September for $19.99 (a whole $15 cheaper than Best Buy etc.) I'm not sure if the shows are up on NetFlix streaming.

I had another point that slipped my mind. The Office: I think that they need a much harsher boss to really change the dynamic. At least for half a season, before someone funnier comes along. I don't think they'll let anyone know who replaces Steve Carell until at least a few weeks before the premiere. I liked the idea of David Brent coming on, but I'm not sure if Gervais wants to "ruin" his legacy on his original show by reprising his character. Edit part 2: I seem to remember reading somewhere that Gervais wanted either Will Forte or John Hodgman to be the replacement. Will Forte would have his unique brand of manic comic energy that would seem to be fine, but I can't get on board for Hodgman who would seem too much like Rainn Wilson's Dwight.

I think you can watch all of the NBC shows at NBC.com. Of course, I really only like to watch them when they are actually on.

Was this the episode were they get into a fight with those dancers?

Debate 109 was a larf- He was horny, so he dropped him. Man is evil.

That was Interpretive Dance, I think.