Now Playing: September 2011

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ugh, extremely hard to google bands names are hard to google.

In my early naive days of internet use a friend told me to check out the band Blonde Redhead so I searched for them at work one day.

I was pretty sure I was going to be fired based on what appeared in the search results.

Heard him interviewed on NPR about this last week.

Guess that he's a huge blues fan, a pretty good piano player, and has been wanting to do this for a long, long time.

AMG review:

Music has been present in Hugh Laurie’s career in some form or another since the days of Fry & Laurie, even working its way into House, the American television series that turned him into an international star in the 2000s. Without House, Laurie would never have been granted the opportunity to record an album like 2011’s Let Them Talk, a full-blooded immersion into American blues via New Orleans, shepherded by acclaimed roots producerJoe Henry and featuring such Big Easy heavy-hitters as Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, and Irma Thomas. To his enormous credit, Laurie never sounds like a dilettante among this group; he holds his own, working his way into the marrow of the songs, playing credible piano throughout the record. Which isn’t to say that he quite makes this selection of standards his own, either. There are reworkings and reinterpretations, “Tipitina” in particular being turned on its head, but the problem with Let Them Talk isn’t the guts and blood of the music, or the slightly studious air Henry cultivates. No, the problem is how Laurie’s blues accent inevitably slides into affectations quite familiar from House. He can’t help it, that’s his American accent, but it’s disarming to have a number cooking along and all of a sudden Princeton Plainsboro’s favorite misanthrope has taken the lead.

Thoughts? Destroyer of the Void didn't do much for me.

So far so good. I liked most of Destroyer, but this one's a little different. Straight-up Americana with a tougher edge than Destroyer. Rocks more. Still has that fuzzy-distortion that BT favor so much, more harmonica, piano, and hard-hitting drums. Give it a spin this week at Spinner.