Band lead singers you met? Friendly, not friendly? Impressions?

cool. there's a contingent of famous folks around atlanta. if i think someone looks like 'someone' i always look twice. could really be that person. i know folks who've run into dylan and springsteen in atlanta. i saw luke wilson once. i know, cool :-)

sad about criminal. wonder how long decatur cd will hang in there.

Yeah, this guy (on the far right), Kip Duvall (he might go by William now, but it used to be Kip) definitely looks like someone. Tall and skinny, well worn but expensive looking leather jacket in the summertime, sort of an afro hairstyle.

Alice_in_Chains_04.jpg

It sounds like Criminal's problem is with some debt they took on in their move to a bigger store, and not necessarily with their sales figures. Hopefully they can settle that debt and stay in business. It'll be terrible to lose the one place in town that has so many really good in-store shows.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

I work around the corner from a couple of venues in Minneapolis, and I was coming up our building's garage ramp a few months ago when I noticed a trailer was blocking access to the street. I was about to get huffy when I saw Gary Louris's most distinct coif among several less notable men, and realized Golden Smog was unloading for a gig at the Fine Line that night. I said, "You're Golden Smog!" and Gary replied, "You're on a bike!" I told them to have a nice show and they wished me a safe ride.

I work around the corner from a couple of venues in Minneapolis, and I was coming up our building's garage ramp a few months ago when I noticed a trailer was blocking access to the street. I was about to get huffy when I saw Gary Louris's most distinct coif among several less notable men, and realized Golden Smog was unloading for a gig at the Fine Line that night. I said, "You're Golden Smog!" and Gary replied, "You're on a bike!" I told them to have a nice show and they wished me a safe ride.

ahahah, this is great.

I guess I will Go In Order of ERA of their Music and Not in one sitting too long to type and bore you with.

Oldest Performers For me Way Back In the 70s

Chuck Berry Met him late 70's at a R&R Revival Show I was in HS and we snuck backstage He was Lukewarm at best..

Bo DIddley Met him in the Green Room After a Show in Boston (my Friends Band were his Backing Musicians He and Chuck Berry Traveled that way Figuring Local Muscians Would know their Material um yes ...

BO was One of the Warmest Guys Really Mellow We ate Pizza and He Spoke Of the Road and Muddy and his Son I will never forget him.

YES Jon Anderson as Well as most of the Rest of the Band Going for the One Tour Truly just BSd my way Backstage Prior to Show Saying to Security in a Phoney English Accent I was Patrick Moraz Younger Brother Hey went to 2 People only and I was in..Fun ?Yes!

No Passes Reqd No Crazy Stuff

Spent Most of the Time talking w/ Jon (really easy to talk w/) He told me about his upcoming solo project..Most of remaing time I spent talking with Steve Howe's Guitar Techie (phrase not yet invented im sure)He showed me a row of 17 Guitars Steve Travelled.

Steve was amped and ready to go pacing well before showtime Thankfully I did not run into then Keyboardist Patrick Moraz but had 20 mins of Fun Ok some Beer (Underage just by a yr 17 legal was 18) and scurried back to my then Girlfriend.

Actually I would be Remiss if I did not include a Local Boston Garage Band that went National albeit Briefly in the 60's

Moulty and the Barbariens; Are you a Boy or are you a Girl Biggest hit !

That got him on the Tammi Show w/ the Stones.

Anyway I worked with and hung out with and liked a girl (dam always about a girl right?) Anyway she was into Karate yep so I got into Karate.(Told it w/b boring) But a guy vying for her also was a R& R One Armed Drummer Named Moulty and he was the Karate Instructor. So It ends well they get Married. I get in shape and to this day were still friends,..no really ck em out on you tube

Well in the late 70s Moulty went back into same Studio where Aerosmith's 1st Album was made ,and it was Fun !

He never did a Solid comeback but it was Fun!

more later or not ........

I don't usually go out of my way to meet performers if it happens, it happens but there have been a few exceptions. The first lead singer I met was Mike Patton. I was 16 and beyond nervous and could barely muster a "hi". I've met Glenn Tilbrook, Simon Le Bon and met Jeff Tweedy a few times. All of them were very nice but the only one I've really talk-talked to is Jeff.

I guess I will Go In Order of ERA of their Music and Not in one sitting too long to type and bore you with.

Oldest Performers For me Way Back In the 70s

Chuck Berry Met him late 70's at a R&R Revival Show I was in HS and we snuck backstage He was Lukewarm at best..

Bo DIddley Met him in the Green Room After a Show in Boston (my Friends Band were his Backing Musicians He and Chuck Berry Traveled that way Figuring Local Muscians Would know their Material um yes ...

BO was One of the Warmest Guys Really Mellow We ate Pizza and He Spoke Of the Road and Muddy and his Son I will never forget him.

YES Jon Anderson as Well as most of the Rest of the Band Going for the One Tour Truly just BSd my way Backstage Prior to Show Saying to Security in a Phoney English Accent I was Patrick Moraz Younger Brother Hey went to 2 People only and I was in..Fun ?Yes!

No Passes Reqd No Crazy Stuff

Spent Most of the Time talking w/ Jon (really easy to talk w/) He told me about his upcoming solo project..Most of remaing time I spent talking with Steve Howe's Guitar Techie (phrase not yet invented im sure)He showed me a row of 17 Guitars Steve Travelled.

Steve was amped and ready to go pacing well before showtime Thankfully I did not run into then Keyboardist Patrick Moraz but had 20 mins of Fun Ok some Beer (Underage just by a yr 17 legal was 18) and scurried back to my then Girlfriend.

Actually I would be Remiss if I did not include a Local Boston Garage Band that went National albeit Briefly in the 60's

Moulty and the Barbariens; Are you a Boy or are you a Girl Biggest hit !

That got him on the Tammi Show w/ the Stones.

Anyway I worked with and hung out with and liked a girl (dam always about a girl right?) Anyway she was into Karate yep so I got into Karate.(Told it w/b boring) But a guy vying for her also was a R& R One Armed Drummer Named Moulty and he was the Karate Instructor. So It ends well they get Married. I get in shape and to this day were still friends,..no really ck em out on you tube

Well in the late 70s Moulty went back into same Studio where Aerosmith's 1st Album was made ,and it was Fun !

He never did a Solid comeback but it was Fun!

more later or not ........

patrick moraz didn't play on the GFTO tour. he only played on relayer. wakeman was back for GFTH.

patrick moraz didn't play on the GFTO tour. he only played on relayer. wakeman was back for GFTH.

So Glad you Chimed In

So right it must have been Relayer a Great Album in its own Right for me a Touch better than Going 4 the 1

I have thankfully Met Rick Wakeman buts that's actually reserved for the 2000 update if I get that far w/ this

Saw R Wakeman In the same spot our Boys are Playing in Tues was called Music Hall then...

R Wakeman was Doing King Arthur / Knights of Round Table then Way back in the Seventies

I was a Froshman in HS

Bono: My wife and I were traveling around Ireland after we graduated from college and both being U2 fans we thought we'd cruise by their studio when we went through Dublin and, as it turns out, they were there in the adjacent warehouse/building rehearsing for the Elevation Tour. We just happened to be there in the final stages of rehearsal before the tour and heard essentially their entire tour set (as it was in the building next to the studio it wasn't sound-proofed). A few minutes after the set was over the garage door rolls up and Bono drives out of the studio garage, pulls his car to the side of the road (we were listening from the sidewalk opposite the studio) and gets out to say hello to us. He could have easily simply driven by and we would have never even known it was him. He asks us all about our trip and drew a picture for my wife. When our chat was over he asked us if we had walked to the studio (it's in a kind of industrial area, but only about a 10 minute walk from the city proper) and we told him yes. He told us to get in and drove us back into town. He told me to sit up front with him, so I rode shotgun in Bono's car. There's more to the story, but that's the gist.

Brandi Carlile: We used to go see her play every Sunday night at a local pub here in Seattle. She had to compete with the clanging dishes and belligerent drinkers. Paid rehearsal, but still pretty special to witness as it was clear she was going places. I taped several of those shows and talked to her and her band a bit. By the end she was getting a bit fed up with the grind of playing for mostly strangers I think, but she broke out just after that. Still hard to make sense of it all when I hear those same songs on TV or covered by Adele.

I always seem to run across Eddie Vedder at the airport, but have never gone up to him to say hello.

Bono: My wife and I were traveling around Ireland after we graduated from college and both being U2 fans we thought we'd cruise by their studio when we went through Dublin and, as it turns out, they were there in the adjacent warehouse/building rehearsing for the Elevation Tour. We just happened to be there in the final stages of rehearsal before the tour and heard essentially their entire tour set (as it was in the building next to the studio it wasn't sound-proofed). A few minutes after the set was over the garage door rolls up and Bono drives out of the studio garage, pulls his car to the side of the road (we were listening from the sidewalk opposite the studio) and gets out to say hello to us. He could have easily simply driven by and we would have never even known it was him. He asks us all about our trip and drew a picture for my wife. When our chat was over he asked us if we had walked to the studio (it's in a kind of industrial area, but only about a 10 minute walk from the city proper) and we told him yes. He told us to get in and drove us back into town. He told me to sit up front with him, so I rode shotgun in Bono's car. There's more to the story, but that's the gist.

Brandi Carlile: We used to go see her play every Sunday night at a local pub here in Seattle. She had to compete with the clanging dishes and belligerent drinkers. Paid rehearsal, but still pretty special to witness as it was clear she was going places. I taped several of those shows and talked to her and her band a bit. By the end she was getting a bit fed up with the grind of playing for mostly strangers I think, but she broke out just after that. Still hard to make sense of it all when I hear those same songs on TV or covered by Adele.

I always seem to run across Eddie Vedder at the airport, but have never gone up to him to say hello.

Great Story! Especially liked the average joe attitude of Bono Saw Brandi C here in Boston 1st pass through she signed a CD for my Daughter very welcoming. Good you made some tapes eh?

Great Story! Especially liked the average joe attitude of Bono Saw Brandi C here in Boston 1st pass through she signed a CD for my Daughter very welcoming. Good you made some tapes eh?

Most definitely down to Earth. What is so strange to me is thinking back on how much of the conversation was him asking us questions and how little was us asking him questions - though I did get in a couple of good ones: One specifically about the song "Ultraviolet" and I like to claim credit for getting that back on the tour setlist. ;) I think that's a real credit to him. No diva in him at all.

I do feel pretty good about those tapes.

Love the Bono story, too. Not what I would have expected.

But then, I do remember reading something about him hanging out at the bar where I met my wife, back in the early 90's. It was just a little neighborhood bar on a side street in (what was then) an affordable little neighborhood where a lot of artist-types and older families lived. (Danny's in Bucktown, for you Chicagoans.)

I used to never try to talk to any bands after shows, but my wife changed all that. She used to regularly try to get stuff signed after concerts, and when she met me, she pushed/encouraged me to get over my shyness and go meet R.E.M. after a concert. They have been my favorite band since 1984, responsible for me really getting into music big-time. Definitely changed my life for the better--I know that sounds like hyperbole, but every once in a while music can do that. Anyway, we did meet R.E.M., and they were all super nice, posing for photos with us and signing. We've met Peter buck again, running into him at a used record store and he was again a nice and very chatty guy. Couldn't have gone better! So, in return for helping me meet my idols, I later pushed my wife to try to meet Elvis Costello after a concert. He's her music god and she was incredibly shy herself this time and almost didn't go through with it. When we did get a chance to talk to him, he was so nice and charming--he kissed my wife and wrote "happy birthday!" on my ticket (because the concert fell on my birthday). She was in tears afterwards (the good kind), and I was glad to have helped her have such a neat experience.

We've met just about everyone else we've seen in concert since--generally everyone seems up for meet and greets with fans after shows if you're patient. Every single experience has been positive. Here's my other favorite, after the ones mentioned above:

After one concert a few years ago, Paul Westerberg told fans waiting for him that he had to do some press and that he's meet us all in the parking lot of the venue when he was done. We all happily filed out to the parking lot, but one security guy came out and started shouting at evrybody and called the cops on us for loitering! Just as the cop who got the call showed up, Westerberg popped out of the stage door and told everyone to come to the bus with him, where he signed cds and chatted and was just a sweetheart. I looked back at the security guy during this and saw that he was just fuming! Nothing against guys who work security--it's just that we were all polite and well-behaved while this guy ranted and yelled like a jerk, causing way more of a public disturbance than he was afraid we'd cause.

M Ward - "Excuse me.... Sir?"

Me - "huh?"

M Ward - "Could I have that (setlist) back? I need it"

Me - "I'll give it back for a photo with you" (as I hand him his setlist)

M Ward - "Um... I don't do photos, but I'll sign anything you want"

Me (as Matt struggles with the pen) "It's a push"

M Ward - "Oh.... Cool Sharpee"

Me - "Thanks"

How about movie stars?

I worked in Toronto one summer and was living in a university residence. Posters appeared one day stating that a movie starring Robin Williams was going to begin shooting within the grounds and they were sorry for the inconvience. The building was shaped like a U with the primary entrance in the middle. One day, on my way to work in morning, the lobby was packed with people craning their necks, trying to get a view. One of the scenes was being shot in the courtyard, in the middle, and everyone was trying to get a glimpse of it. I was late for work, and short, so I bolted. I didn't get home till about 10pm that evening. The lobby was completely clear and the doors to the courtyard were open and the whole area was illuminated, I walked through the doors and sat on the steps and within 30 seconds heard some guy yell Action! A young blond guy walked out of the side door with his shirt in his hand, put his shirt on, walked by 2 girls who giggled, and left the courtyard. Cut!... OK... Take 2, cute blonde guy walks out of side door with his shirt in one hand and his boots in the other. He puts on his shirt, steps into his boots, girl walk by him and giggle, he leaves. Cut! Take 3 - cute young blonde guy walks out of side door in his boxers, steps into pants and boots, puts on shirt, girls walk by him and giggle, he leaves courtyard. Cut and wrap! Found out years later the movie was Good Will Hunting and the actor was Matt Damon.

Incidently I waited night for a fourth take, but nothing happened.

How about movie stars?

My father is a Teamster here in Chicago, and has worked on many, many movies. He and Joe Pesci got pretty friendly when working on the Home Alone movies. And, through the same movies, he also got to be pretty friendly with Daniel Stern -- the only one that I had an any extended conversations with. Stern is a really nice guy.

Also, recently met Larry the Cable Guy when he was shooting something near my home. My kids came with me to visit Grandpa on the set and Larry came out (at my dad's request) to say "hey" to my kids. He put on the Larry character right away (he's actually from N. Dakota, not the South) for the guys and signed a couple of things for them. They were excited that they got to meet Tow Mader.

I was at a random douchey club once that my sister dragged me to in LA, and I was totally hating life when I recognized Dave Grohl standing next to me. I struck up a conversation and we talked about metal, and Sunny Day Real Estate. He seemed content and amused to sip his drink and chat with me all night. Super approachable. I asked him what a guy like him was doing in a club like that, he said "Acting as stupid as possible." He said he'd loved the terrible club ever since he was there the same night as Ozzy came. "They had to carry him out that night. That man is like a god."

I was struck not by him being polite and tolerating fans, but that he actually enjoyed talking to random people. Like it made his night more fun.

• 1 month later...

Moving back to the 80's Met Springsteen

I was in College and it was Springsteen's & ESB The River Tour It was at our Old Boston Garden I was able through a Band Photographer Friend get backstage after the show However albeit just about 20 mins Hung out low key party cool scene. I Had some Chats w/ Clarence man he and Little Steven Dressed to the NInes after a Gig! I Had some food and beer and attempted to join my Friend to go into see his eminence er Bruce seated and greeting guests w/ Backstage Passes Only! Busted that's when I got along and about 12 other posers er Fans..respectfully were asked to leave.

Undeterred in our late teen interest in Meeting such a Great Writer and Performer and in Good Company (about 8 or 9 Girls from Salem State) and a couple of other guys. So we hung out and Had Fun chatting and getting to know each other.

After about hr later a van pulls up real close to the door and positions itself as to block our view to see who is getting in. A chant roars for Bruce and an advance man comes over perhaps security and says he would like to greet each and every one of us But do not go to him,let him come to you

So he was Warm Friendly and spent what seemed about 5 mins with each of us.

I brought up the title track the River and told him how I loved it and why; as it the characters we so real and the music was so dark I loved it!(above the other faster tunes getting loads of airplay at the time) He hugged me and said hey man Thanks a lot for your support it means a lot! We talked about his touring briefly and then a girl said she wanted a pic alone w/ him.

Bruce said no I want all my Friends around me! Fool that I am did I get the Girls # no but got an autograph but more imp. to me some x w/ a man that I felt was worth waiting for. Dam of course I had a Final in

• 8 months later...

Got to meet Merle Haggard last night after the show. Granted it was brief and consisted of a handshake and some gushing about how much we appreciated him playing in our town, but he was super friendly.

Btw... The show was terrific and his new material blended seemlessly with the classics, which was quite a surprise!

One of the nicest lead singers I have met was Annie Clark (St. Vincent) last month.. Very very friendly, and when I told her that I was a Berklee alumni like her, she seemed genuinely interested, asked my major etc.. She said she went for Jazz guitar but said it didn't work out too well.. I would say she still did pretty well for herself.

And oh yeah, she's gorgeous.

My friend knows The Flaming Lips, particularly Derek Brown. He's seen them a dozen times and has been backstage a number of times. He got involved with their street team in the early days and has kept in touch with the band over the years. When they came through Salt Lake last year he scored all-access passes for a bunch of his friends. While I'm not a huge Lips fan--I do enjoy nearly all of their work since Soft Bulletin--I jumped at the chance to go with my friend. He and I arrived to the venue around 3:00 PM and Wayne Coyne immediately put us to work. We disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled thousands of mini-laser pointers. Wayne sat and chatted with us as we all worked together prepping for the show. I even got to dress up as the Scarecrow and dance on stage with the band throughout the show. I was so impressed with Wayne's work ethic. That guy worked non-stop from the time we arrived until 1:00 AM after he finished signing posters and taking pictures with all the fans that had danced on stage. That was definitely one of the coolest experiences. Everybody in the Lips camp, as well as the openers, Le Butcherettes, were gracious and friendly. (Well, Steven Drozd was rather asocial and didn't interact with fans, but other than that everybody was super cool.) I can't wait until they come through again and hopefully have a similar experience.

Jeff Tweedy - I met Jeff and a couple other band members after a show in 2002, so that's about two years before he got off the painkillers. He was polite and willing to sign things, but never cracked a smile. I remember my ex (then my wife) telling him it was a really good show - and that it was her first rock concert - and he said, Thanks a lot in that laconic way he had for so long.

Bruce Cockburn - He was out by the tour bus after a 1997 show, signing autographs and posing for pics. I didn't ask for an autograph, but I got a photo of him shaking hands with me. He's holding a cigar with the other hand, which is pretty funny. I'd never pictured him smoking cigars. He was beyond approachable. I briefly told him that his work meant a lot to me, as I am a writer. He asked me about my work, which surprised me. Very chatty and pleasant. Right after me, a very nervous young lady came up to him, obviously just gaga, and her first words were I'm a really obnoxious fan. Bruce grinned a little and said, You need to find a new way to identify yourself. :lol

Al Stewart - I was literally last in line, and Al is getting on in years, so I'm sure he wanted to get the heck out of there. Got the autograph, shook his hand and said thanks, and got a photo with him. Didn't try to talk to him longer.

rhett miller - met him at a ryan adams show in upstate NY. he was outside ryan's tour bus, saying "hey ryan! its me, rhett! let me in the bus!" to no avail. i went up to him and asked "are you really rhett miller?" he replied with a dejected "yeah..." really funny guy, he had a big conversation with us.

this gave me the biggest laugh. i love rhett so much.

also the first time i met jeff i said "hey jeff" and he said "you're SarahC!" it was sweet.