Wilco - 9/23/11 - Central Park Summerstage

One Sunday Morning to start was absolutely incredible. Pin drop quiet and just amazing.

I wish they played OSM at the beginning of both shows I went to. I think it gets lost in the middle of the set. It's such a beautiful song.

I wish they played OSM at the beginning of both shows I went to. I think it gets lost in the middle of the set. It's such a beautiful song.

It definitely got lost in the middle of the set the first night. OSM sorta brought the set to a grinding halt. I'm not sure if it's meant to be an opener either, but it definitely worked way better as an opener than as the 8th song of the night. It was pretty great to hear it a 2nd time.

As for the rest of the show, it definitely had a more upbeat vibe than the 1st night, and i think throwing in songs like California Stars and Pot Kettle Black earlier on in the set definitely helped with that, as opposed to songs like Ashes, ALTWYS and She's a Jar that were played the first night. Somebody threw a whole lotta glowsticks into the air towards the end of heavy metal drummer, starting a mini glowstick war. After the song, Jeff said "Glowsticks, really? Has it come to that?" and demanded all the glowsticks be thrown at him. At another point, talking about how much the band liked New York, Jeff called Manhattan "Adorbs". It was great to hear Passenger side and Misunderstood, some of my favorite singalongs.

One thing that was sort of cool but sort of weird for me was the Poor Places > Bull Black Nova. I'm so used to hearing it go into Spiders, and i figured that wasn't going to happen THAT early in the set, especially when they already opened the show up with a 12 minute ballad and an 8 minute song. But i feel like Poor Places just loses a little bit of its punch when the noise just sort of disappears and another song casually starts, the cool thing about Spiders is that it always seemed to sort of erupt from the end of Poor Places, and i sort of missed that last night.

But anyway, great, soggy show, wasn't nearly as cold and wet as Solid Sound, which is good, and they still got in a solid 24 songs. Can't wait for Nashville next week

loved both nights...not as diverse as solid sound (to be expected) but still some decent variety:

just thursday:

ashes

one wing

ALTWYS

shouldn't be ashamed

she's a jar

rising red lung

hummingbird

via chicago

war on war

monday

outtasite

just friday:

poor places

pot kettle black

black moon

california stars

heavy metal drummer

passenger side

misunderstood

walken

red-eyed & blue/i got you

i'll take it...also converted another so-so fan in the process which is always a bonus...i've yet to bring someone to a show who didn't have a blast

Just got home on the train after two nights in the Big Apple. I liked the Thursday night show better that Friday's. One reason was probably the rain and standing back near the bleachers and not up close as on Thursday. Expected more of a varied set last night. Since we also attended the show in Boston I'd heard most of the songs played three times. I expected to hear the new stuff again and thought they would do what they did at Solid Sound and play different tunes the rest of the show. I also don't dig them starting the show with my new bathroom song "One Sunday Morning". I didn't have to go yet. Kind of boring as well as far as I'm concerned for the start of a concert. Other highlights: Walked over to the Dakota and Strawberry Field before last nights show. Kind of like Dealey Plaza to me. A tragic place. Spent Friday afternoon staying dry watching the movie Moneyball at a Times Square theater. Pretty good flick with some Red Sox moments in it for you fellow Sox fans. Met Jim Leyritz at Mickey Mantle's after the Thursday show. Kind of a strange place to meet a guy who has had his disastrous moments with the bottle. Overall, when you include the live Letterman concert, a great 4 nights of Wilco for me. By the way, I spoke to a Wilco management type who was standing back near the soundboard last night before the show and he told me the Solid Sound dates for next year are not finalized yet. So those June22-24 dates might not be the ones. When I asked him if he was sure, he said he should know since he's the one who is involved in the scheduling. But he did say we would know within a month so I guess it is on anyway. I've looked into booking rooms for that weekend and everything is pretty much gone already. I guess we'll all find out soon.