You're new here, aren't you.

Saying you want something dropped doesn't mean it gets dropped.

Meanwhile on another thread, locked by none other than Crow Daddy Magnus, he wrote this

"This thread has over 1300 views and the Pot Kettle Black appreciation thread has less than 400.

It baffles me.

I'm closing this thread"

Never were the words Pot Kettle Black more appropriate!!

And anyway, I never actually said that I wanted anything dropped, I just said it was my last word on the boring slagging match that the original topic had turned into.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have two complaints about disc 2 of Being There: 1) the unnecessary addition of Outta Mind, and 2) The Lonely 1, which is a song that has never really grabbed me.

That being said, I listen to this album straight through every time and love every minute of it. One of Wilco's three masterpieces.

I only have two complaints about disc 2 of Being There: 1) the unnecessary addition of Outta Mind, and 2) The Lonely 1, which is a song that has never really grabbed me.

That being said, I listen to this album straight through every time and love every minute of it. One of Wilco's four masterpieces.

fixed it for you. I personally love both of those songs. Does anyone know who "The Lonely 1" was written about?

edit to add: thanks for bringing it back on topic.

I personally don't consider Summerteeth a masterpiece. I love it, but there is something a little off about it that keeps it below the other three.

Actually, if I'm to be totally honest, I think that, if I try to look at it objectively, YHF is their only masterpiece. It's the one people will talk about in 100 years, so to speak. I just happen to love BT more.

I personally have to wait until the infatuation goes away to see if there's enough substance remaining to establish a lasting relationship. There may well be, but it's simply to early to tell if I will want to make a long term commitment to this record.

I've concluded I've given it enough time. I have listened to The Whole Love non-stop since it first streamed on Labor Day weekend. First on the stream, then mp3 rips of the stream, now the vinyl and official cd. And not to mention (but I will) seeing the band live in Boston, watching the Live on Letterman, listening to the Merriweather Post live stream, and listening to downloads of a few more shows on this tour. I can unequivocally say that The Whole Love makes the cut and I put it in the grouping of Wilco's best. Without hesitation.

fixed it for you. I personally love both of those songs. Does anyone know who "The Lonely 1" was written about?

edit to add: thanks for bringing it back on topic.

Inspired by Paul Westerburg of The Replacements.....if not about him in an indirect manner. The Replacements had a tune called "Answering Machine". There are connections between Golden Smog and The Replacements. They were an influential band of the eighties much like Velvet Underground in the sixties. One of those bands far ahead of their time.

You've got the wrong guy guv. I've never heard a Beatles album in my life, can't stand them. And before you say anything, I've heard enough of the drivel they released as singles to make my mind up that I don't want to listen to an album by them.

And to get back on topic, you have your opinion and I have mine about Being There. Neither of us are right, neither of us are wrong. I'd be interested to hear though from anybody, including yourself, who thinks disc 2 is stronger than disc 1.

I just don't know what to say about this. You are right that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That being said....since you haven't ever listened to a Beatles album...and there is no way you were alive when they were releasing singles...perhaps your opinion might not be informed. No offense....but I would argue one can't have an opinion if they readily admit they haven't listened to what they claim to have an opinion about. Opinions are formed when one experiences something, and then decides they do/don't like it. The merits of how the Beatles changed the recording industry aside...How can I say I don't like ice cream, and then say I haven't tried it? I know that you don't want to hear about this anymore...but don't make uninformed opinions and then take shots at folks who have informed opinions. How about this..."I have listened to a couple of Beatles songs and I did not care for the music".

I just don't know what to say about this. You are right that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That being said....since you haven't ever listened to a Beatles album...and there is no way you were alive when they were releasing singles...perhaps your opinion might not be informed. No offense....but I would argue one can't have an opinion if they readily admit they haven't listened to what they claim to have an opinion about. Opinions are formed when one experiences something, and then decides they do/don't like it. The merits of how the Beatles changed the recording industry aside...How can I say I don't like ice cream, and then say I haven't tried it? I know that you don't want to hear about this anymore...but don't make uninformed opinions and then take shots at folks who have informed opinions. How about this..."I have listened to a couple of Beatles songs and I did not care for the music".

To be fair a person could probably get away with never listening to a complete Beatles album and still know most of their singles by heart. They're played everywhere all the time. They're such a huge part of pop culture in general that you can't really get away with never hearing them.