• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being there is a fantastic album. As with many of you, it inspired me to see 2 movies I had previously not seen. Its namesake which is a delightfully charming if not simple film and Chelsea Walls, so bad it is unitentionally funny. I would never tell a Wilco fan what songs to like or dislike, but the love and number of posts on this thread dedicated to The Lonely 1 is a bit baffling to me. It is the peak of comedy in Chelsea Walls, so bad that it makes me laugh every time. There is no question I believe it should be left off BT, never requested in concert and generally forgotten. But that is what makes music fun and great. My crap is your gold. On that vein, when is the appreciation thread for In a Future Age starting? That was sarcastic, but I love Shake it Off, a song many of you strongly dislike.

I think there are plenty of better Wilco songs than The Lonely 1, including some of the songs on Being There...but it's still pretty great.

I could not make it through more than about 20 minutes of Chelsea Walls so, thankfully, it did not get the chance to ruin the song for me. ;)

Review: critics, snobs, and even Wilco fans criminally underrate The Lonely 1.

A crime indeed. I fell in love with it upon first listen. Being There is the first Wilco record I really got into, and Lonely 1 is one of the songs that made me realize there was something special about this band...

The Lonely 1 is outstanding. I love that it puts Being There on pause for a moment, creates just enough of a rest and offers a beautiful change of pace before the explosion that is Dreamer in My Dreams. The set from the KFOG radio session in 1997 has a lovely version of the tune with some nice piano work from Jay Bennett and some nice brush work on the drums from Ken Coomer.

I would never tell a Wilco fan what songs to like or dislike, but the love and number of posts on this thread dedicated to The Lonely 1 is a bit baffling to me....There is no question I believe it should be left off BT, never requested in concert and generally forgotten.

I've scanned this board for many years and have read tons of things I disagreed with to varying degrees. If 1 degree was very slightly disagree, and 100 was massively disagree, the above post would be about a 748.

Never one to shy away from self examination or admitting I am wrong, after the stir caused here I decided to go back and give unmentioned tune another it listen. And if that was not enough, I went through my residency downloads and gave that a listen. If there is one thing I stand by it is the residency was the high point for Wilco. Even with Andrew Bird helping out, that song is bad. There is some part of me that can not disassociate it with Chelsea Walls, but I just do not like it. At all. There are a few Wilco songs that do nothing for me, but only one I find truly bad. Pile on haters, but I went back with an open mind and hope that maybe time would change my mind. No luck. At least I tried.

Depending on my mood, Kingpin can be either a fun little jaunt, or a complete asswhip.