Your top 3-5 of 2011

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

02 Destroyer - Kaputt

Everything about this album is awesome - including the cover (http://lpwtf.tumblr....autifully-bored). I hadn't paid much attention to Destroyer since This Night, so Kaputt really blew my mind. "Whoa, how did we get from there to here?" I played it nonstop for months.

One perk of living in Vancouver is (sometimes) understanding what Dan Bejar is singing about.

Everything about this album is awesome - including the cover (http://lpwtf.tumblr....autifully-bored). I hadn't paid much attention to Destroyer since This Night, so Kaputt really blew my mind. "Whoa, how did we get from there to here?" I played it nonstop for months.

One perk of living in Vancouver is (sometimes) understanding what Dan Bejar is singing about.

Yeah, I'm quite enamored with Kaputt as well. It's so gorgeous. But, I get the feeling that most of ViaChicago loves Kaputt as much as they love Beth/Rest.

As for how Destroyer got to this point musically, we may never know since this is still a radical departure from their last album, Trouble In Dreams. Destroyer released Bay Of Pigs, the last song, on an EP a year earlier, and that's when I had to look at Destroyer again.

Kaputt certainly deserves more love.

What the hell does "yacht rock" mean?

"In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock that emanated from Southern California between 1976 and 1984. The term is meant to suggest the kind of smooth, mellow music that early yuppies likely enjoyed while sipping champagne and snorting cocaine on their yachts. Significant "yacht rockers" include Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, and Toto."

"In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock that emanated from Southern California between 1976 and 1984. The term is meant to suggest the kind of smooth, mellow music that early yuppies likely enjoyed while sipping champagne and snorting cocaine on their yachts. Significant "yacht rockers" include Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, and Toto."

That sounds horrible.

I never heard that term, but I kinda like it. Yacht Rock: the Nadir of RnR?

a friend said that 'Bon Iver' is French for 'as boring as Iron and Wine'

How-to-Stifle-a-Laugh.jpg

Part of the genius of later Steely Dan (Aja and Gaucho) was that although the music was super smooth and slick (even though the music is complex and full of virtuoso performances that are very difficult to play), the subject matter was still about junkies, whores, drug dealers and other sleazy kinds of characters/experiences. The irony of the contrast between the smooth music and the dirty lyrics, I believe, largely went over the heads of the chardonnay-swilling yuppies who love those songs so much. Steely Dan, IMO, belong in a category light-years beyond Little River Band, Kenny Loggins, etc, even though I have a soft-spot guilty pleasure for yacht rock (first time I've heard the term, but its not bad as a neat short descriptor).

My Top Six

Wilco --- The Whole Love

The Horrible Crowes --- Elsie

Middle Brother --- Middle Brother

Kurt Vile --- Smoke Rings for my Halo

Dawes --- Nothing is Wrong

Ryan Adams --- Ashes and Fire

(and for # 7 The Deep Vibration --- Strange Love)

A top 20 song about smoking heroin?

Must be Steely Dan. These guys were absolutely decadent and subversive and deserve much better than to be called 'Yacht Rock'.

Son you better be ready for love

On this glory day

This is your chance to believe

What I've got to say

Keep your eyes on the sky

Put a dollar in the kitty

Don't the moon look pretty

Tonight when I chase the dragon

The water will change to cherry wine

And the silver will turn to gold

Time out of mind

I am holding the mystical sphere

It's direct from lhasa

Where people are rolling in the snow

Far from the world we know

Children we have it right here

It's the light in my eyes

It's perfection and grace

It's the smile on my face

Time out of mind

Children we have it right here

It's the light in my eyes

It's perfection and grace

It's the smile on my face

Time out of mind

yeah drugs have never been mentioned in hit songs before or since that one

By a 'yacht rock band'?

Unless you think "horse with no name'\" is about smack.

1. Bill Callahan - Apocalypse

2. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

3. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Mirror Traffic

4. Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

5. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost

6. Wilco - The Whole Love

7. Panda Bear - Tomboy

8. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

9. Feist - Metals

10. Toro Y Moi - Underneath the Pine

:cheers

if i HAD to pick just 5:

Stephen Marley - Revelation Pt.1: Root of Life

Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire

The Roots - undun

Wilco - The Whole Love

Jason Isbell - Here We Rest

but i did a Top 15: http://bumslogic.wor...albums-of-2011/

and a Top 10: http://bumslogic.wor...ewed-from-2011/

dammit... just realized i forgot to include Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears: Scandalous, and Blitzen Trapper: American Goldwing