Is Pat the new Jay?

I think you mean this Bob: http://www.bobegan.com/

Mr. Choo, I am insulted.

Mr. Lamrod, thank you.

Also, re bobegan.com, if your website leads with your 2009 tour schedule, then you aren't doing as well as bobeganentertainment.com.

There's a boot on the Being There tour near the end of Egan's tenure where Jeff introduced Bob as "this is Bob Egan, he used to be in Wilco." Jay certainly impacted the dismissals of Max, Bob, and Ken, but anybody Jeff still wanted in the band would still be in the band. All three of those lineup changes had as much to do with the band's changing sound as anything else. By the time they were ready to do Summerteeth, they really didn't need a mandolin, fiddle, or pedal steel player anymore.

--Mike

Mr. Choo, I am insulted.

Mr. Lamrod, thank you.

Also, re bobegan.com, if your website leads with your 2009 tour schedule, then you aren't doing as well as bobeganentertainment.com.

I'm sorry I didn't recognize your sarcasm font. Should've picked up on that. But you have a great point. C'mon Bob! Update the site.

By the time they were ready to do Summerteeth, they really didn't need a mandolin, fiddle, or pedal steel player anymore.

--Mike

Can you image what that record would sound like with those adornments? Wouldn't work.

Some of us see the need to lionize Jay as the lost genius of the band. He was musically gifted and personally troubled.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

For Jeff's (and the band's?) health and sanity, it was a good thing for Jay to not be in Wilco and seemed like it had to happen. I personally think Jeff is way more of a "my way or the highway" type of creative person than he comes across, but at the same time, it seems as if Jay leaving had much more to do with Jay than Jeff.But as a fan, who can only listen to records and very occasionally see a band live, all I really care about is what I can hear. Being There, Summerteeth, YHF, and the Mermaid discs, to me, are the pinnacle of Wilco's output. And I know Jay contributed a lot to what I hear on those discs. And as an audience member, he added great mystery, fun, energy and personality to live shows. As great as Wilco is live right now, I don't think Wilco shows were ever more entertaining than many of those Being There/Summerteeth shows.

As for Bob, I think that was a group decision. Also remember reading that in the book. They had the roadies sabotage Bob's gear because he kept turning his amp up too loud.

If you go back and listen to the recordings of Wilco's two-night stand in Minneapolis back in October 1997, during Jeff's stage banter (which is profanity-ridden and frequently vulgar - and hilarious) he keeps giving Bob shit about one of the pedals he's using and tells him to stop using it in Wilco, unless he wants to go join Whiskeytown. He makes a little speech about how they like to cuss in Wilco and then right into the mic, calls Bob a c*cksucker and says, "Bob, that's our way of telling you that you won't be on the road with us next time..."

He was fired before the next tour.

Wow Jeff was an asshole. It's one thing firing someone, but to talk that kind of shit on stage is way below the belt. I don't know, Bob could have been an even bigger asshole (never met the guy) but that's just bad form.

Wow Jeff was an asshole. It's one thing firing someone, but to talk that kind of shit on stage is way below the belt. I don't know, Bob could have been an even bigger asshole (never met the guy) but that's just bad form.

I remember when I downloaded those shows and listened for the first time. That was my exact reaction! Bob's biggest asshole moment might have been falling off the stage in the 3:06 mark in this oft-shared clip.

There's a boot on the Being There tour near the end of Egan's tenure where Jeff introduced Bob as "this is Bob Egan, he used to be in Wilco." Jay certainly impacted the dismissals of Max, Bob, and Ken, but anybody Jeff still wanted in the band would still be in the band. All three of those lineup changes had as much to do with the band's changing sound as anything else. By the time they were ready to do Summerteeth, they really didn't need a mandolin, fiddle, or pedal steel player anymore.

--Mike

Well, pedal steel and violins were used on YHF.

Bob didn't play any fiddle (to my knowledge).

I still think there is a tendency to lionize Jay. His importance is undeniable, but he wore out his welcome.

I do find it somewhat fascinating that we feel the need to keep bringing Jay into the conversation 11 years after he left the band and almost three years after his very untimely passing.

I remember when I downloaded those shows and listened for the first time. That was my exact reaction! Bob's biggest asshole moment might have been falling off the stage in the 3:06 mark in this oft-shared clip.

That's one of my all time favorite Wilco performances. The Bob fall is classic. Especially since he kept playing on his back. :lol

Well, pedal steel and violins were used on YHF.

Bob didn't play any fiddle (to my knowledge).

I still think there is a tendency to lionize Jay. His importance is undeniable, but he wore out his welcome.

I do find it somewhat fascinating that we feel the need to keep bringing Jay into the conversation 11 years after he left the band and almost three years after his very untimely passing.

In small measures - not as primary instruments.

Max was on the fiddle.

I agree.

I don't think it's talking too much of out school to point out the Being There tour wasn't exactly Tweedy at his healthiest. Some of those boots are hard to listen to in between songs, but the band was gloriously sloppy in those days.

--Mike

It's a tailor made message board debate, and it just is going to suck us back in everytime. I fear we'll all be wheeling around the nursing home one day going back-and-forth, "it's not 2001 anymore, man." "What did they ever do as good as Jesus, etc. after he left... I'm waiting..."

I'm just not ready to let it go quite yet.

I don't think it's talking too much of out school to point out the Being There tour wasn't exactly Tweedy at his healthiest. Some of those boots are hard to listen to in between songs, but the band was gloriously sloppy in those days.

--Mike

This is exactly what i was thinking

You would think I would be a nostalgist (is that a word), but I much rather look at the road ahead.

Looking backward is cool as long as you are moving forward.

I don't think Wilco would be a working entity today if Jeff hadn't severed ties with Jay.

It was never and could never be Wilco featuring Jay Bennett. It has always been Jeff's vision.

Jay was certainly involved with the creation of some unforgettable musical moments and I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

. As great as Wilco is live right now, I don't think Wilco shows were ever more entertaining than many of those Being There/Summerteeth shows.

Jealous, so jealous of folks who saw them at that point in the Wilco timeline. My first show wasn't until 2002.

But as to whether Pat is the new Jay; to me, Pat looks like he's having fun, lots of fun. He puts the "playing" in playing music. From what I've seen on film, you tube, etc., Jay never had that sort of levity, but he did bring something to Wilco that helped create the best records they've made (imo).

Made this argument on another site a while back...

I think there are similarities perhaps in what they brought/bring to the table: multi-instrumentalist, songwriting with serious studio/production chops.

Personality wise - they seem different to me, as far as I can tell. Meet Bennett at a sound check in 2002 or 2003 for a Bennett and Burch show and talked to him for about 20 minutes. Sharp dude and he knew it and... he also let you know that he knew it (i.e., big ego IMO). Pat from interviews seems more... reserved and humble and... willing to fit into the confines of an established band.

Also the dynamic of the band is/was different then and now. Bennett admitted made a power play while Tweedy was down and lost. It appears that Tweedy is heathy now and is clearly the band leader.

i'm not sure about this...

but I remain fairly convied that 46 is the new 37.

at least until my birthday.

Then 52 would be the new 43?

And 62 would be the new 53?

Looks like we still have a chance Louie