2012 Baseball Season!!!

Time to start a new thread.

First post

Josh Hamilton can probably forget about a long term contract extension or a big Free Agency deal

Rangers' Josh Hamilton: 'I had a weak moment on Monday night'

In a press conference Friday, Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton admitted to having 'three or four drinks' at an establishment in Dallas earlier in the week.

"I had a weak moment on Monday night in Dallas," said the 2010 AL MVP. "Personal reasons with a family member."

Hamilton said he called a teammate to take him home.

"Ian [Kinsler] did not know I had been drinking because once I do drink I can be very deceptive, very sneaky in a lot of ways," Hamilton said.

Hamilton said no drugs were used and that he's had two drug tests since Monday. He said he will be flying to New York at some point to meet with doctors to talk about what happened.

Among Hamilton's comments on Friday:

"I am hurt by it tremendously moreso for my wife and kids. ... The Rangers organization has been great."

"I feel terrible about this because I feel like I let a lot of people down. There's nobody that feels worse than I do."

"I'm going to be doing a lot of soul-searching. I'm praying about it. I have a great support team."

"I do understand that I can't take a break. ... I just ask everybody who's watching and listening to pray for me and my family."

"Those actions have hurt a lot of people that are close to me."

"It was just wrong. I needed to be in a different place. I needed to be responsible."

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to start a new thread.

First post

Josh Hamilton can probably forget about a long term contract extension or a big Free Agency deal

Having never been an alcoholic, I can't wrap my head around this one. It sounds like he knew he made a mistake, owned up to it, and is trying to solve his problem, maturely and responsibly. I can't see how this would affect his future. If he was found in a room full of hookers and a pile of blow, that might be a problem.

Having never been an alcoholic, I can't wrap my head around this one. It sounds like he knew he made a mistake, owned up to it, and is trying to solve his problem, maturely and responsibly. I can't see how this would affect his future. If he was found in a room full of hookers and a pile of blow, that might be a problem.

I'm not saying it's fair or unfair. And it certainly is apparent that Josh is stepping up and not trying to deflect any blame or look for sympathy.

But the cruel bottom line is that a professional baseball club cannot afford to put tens of millions of dollars at risk for a long term deal.

I hope to God that Josh is able to wrestle his demons successfully. The baseball stuff is really secondary.

"No one likes a quitter"

Yeah..nothing is as funny as somebody struggling to save their life.

c'mon crow daddy,.....

don't confuse having a couple of drinks / making a poor decision with "someone struggling to save their life". Save that melodramatic stuff for inside the rooms, please.

my recovery experience was filled with humor and self-deprecation- many in recovery believe it's impossible to succeed without it.

that being said, i stepped out of the program about three years ago.....too much of that melodramatic stuff.

now.......really...how many days until pitchers and catchers?????

I was watching INTENTIONAL TALK on the MLB network yesterday, and Kevin Millar took a bit of a backhanded swipe at Miguel Cabrerra in his comments about Hamilton's issue.

"He was alone in a bar, he didn't drive and endanger himself or others..."

Wonder how that will play in the Motor City? If I was able to gather who he was referring to, then I'm sure others were able to make the connection also.

c'mon crow daddy,.....

don't confuse having a couple of drinks / making a poor decision with "someone struggling to save their life". Save that melodramatic stuff for inside the rooms, please.

my recovery experience was filled with humor and self-deprecation- many in recovery believe it's impossible to succeed without it.

that being said, i stepped out of the program about three years ago.....too much of that melodramatic stuff.

now.......really...how many days until pitchers and catchers?????

You do understand that Hamilton's issues in the earlier years were Crack and possibly Meth related, don't you?

Alcohol was his gateway drug.

I don't imagine there will be a humorous way out if he falls all the way back.

But the cruel bottom line is that a professional baseball club cannot afford to put tens of millions of dollars at risk for a long term deal.

theres also the whole issue of people who should be treated as,

i dunno,

human beings.

theres also the whole issue of people who should be treated as,

i dunno,

human beings.

What does this mean? That the Rangers should ignore his checkered past and sign him to an 8 figure mulityear contract? That's the humane thing to do? The man's going to get a contract and get paid 100s time more than anyone on this board. I'm not worred about sub-human treatment.

Did he cost himself some value because of this relapse? Probably. He could be suspended for a long time if he fails a drug test, no? I, for one, don't see it as cruel, but as sound business. I say this as one who has enormous respect for Hamilton. I feel bad for him that he relapse, but there will be many, many consequenes for him, both personal and professional. A few dollars on his next contract will probably be part of it.

jesus, decide for yourselves if he's a commidity or not.

Anybody who draws a paycheck for working for somebody else and serves at their pleasure is a commodity.

What does this mean? That the Rangers should ignore his checkered past and sign him to an 8 figure mulityear contract? That's the humane thing to do? The man's going to get a contract and get paid 100s time more than anyone on this board. I'm not worred about sub-human treatment.

Did he cost himself some value because of this relapse? Probably. He could be suspended for a long time if he fails a drug test, no? I, for one, don't see it as cruel, but as sound business. I say this as one who has enormous respect for Hamilton. I feel bad for him that he relapse, but there will be many, many consequenes for him, both personal and professional. A few dollars on his next contract will probably be part of it.

The thing is, he has never relapsed by using crack or any other drug and takes drug tests about as often as any human being on the face of the earth. He has gotten drunk twice since January 2009.

He didn't get arrested for public intoxication.

He didn't get pulled over and tagged with a DUI.

He manned up and came clean in a public forum..and he didn't do it the chickenshit way with a written release read by his attorney or agent. He stood up and talked for 30 minutes before the press.

He's a risk, but he may be more of a risk to himself.

But the Rangers have a rapport and understanding of his situation. His past problems weren't a secret when he was traded for in 2008. He's been very upfront and vocal about his issues.

Now it comes down to the ugly calculus of Baseball finances.

What's ugly about it? He is going to be well compensated for his ability to hit a ball with a bat. A little less because of a serious addiction issue, In the great scheme of our economic systems, I could name about a billion transactions less ugly than what this relapse is going to cost Josh Hamiltion.

Whoever signs Josh Hamilton to a long-term contract will be protected by MLB's player personal conduct provision, and most likely any additional provisions as agreed to by both the team and Hamilton. Monetarily, he is more of a risk due to his penchant for getting injured than for failing a drug test.

Whoever signs Josh Hamilton to a long-term contract will be protected by MLB's player personal conduct provision, and most likely any additional provisions as agreed to by both the team and Hamilton. Monetarily, he is more of a risk due to his penchant for getting injured than for failing a drug test.

Exactly.

He has been on the DL missing significant time since he resurfaced in 2007.

He has not failed any of his numerous drug tests since 2007. But the falling off the wagon and drinking is certainly scary. I think he scared himself this time.

I was watching the MLB network today, and one of the shows (don't remember which one) posited this interesting solution for a possible problem for two teams.

The signings of Fielder by Detroit and Reyes by Florida has created a situation where two premier bats will be playing out of position next year: Both Cabrera and Ramirez moving to third.

Solution: A head up player for player trade

Cabrera to Florida (where he can play first)

Ramirez to Detroit (Where he can play Short)

Florida can trade Gabby Sanchez for pitching depth and it works for everybody.

Kinda interesting...but I KNOW there's no way that Detroit would part with Cabrera.

Hanley Ramirez wouldn't be enough to get Miguel Cabrera straight up. Hell, Jose Reyes wouldn't be enough.

No doubt.

Just trying to get a little bit of the Great Game juices flowing.

http://espn.go.com/m...kland-athletics

The A's sign Cuban sensation Cespedes.

Also, the Yankees are trying trade A.J. Burnett to the Pirates.

I thought Cespedes was going to be a sure thing, but after reading and listening to some 'experts', he apparently he is a four tool player. He was compared to Willie Mo Pena and Ruebn Mateo.

Ouch.