2012 Baseball Season!!!

Making contact.

That's the word...ergo the Willie Mo Pena and Reuben Mateo comparisons.

These aren't my observations, just stuff I've read and heard.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From John Sickels of The Baseball Prospect Book:

What are the Athletics getting with Cespedes? He's a 26-year-old right-handed hitter and thrower, born October 10, 1985, listed at 5-11, 215 pounds. He's rated as a complete talent: power, speed, glove: he has it all, at least in raw form. He has been a Serie Nacional star in Cuba for the last eight seasons, and owns the single-season home run record. Scouts on the international circuit have been following him for years, so he's not an unknown quantity who came out of nowhere.

Power is his best hitting attribute: rated 70 on the 20/80 scouting scale by most who have seen him in person. Reports on his pure hitting skills are a bit more mixed, and not everyone is sure how he'll handle the strike zone against major league pitching, or what his batting average and OBP will look like. He is an excellent overall athlete, with the speed for center field and a strong throwing arm.

Is he ready for the majors now? Unless he totally bombs in spring training, he should be in the Opening Day lineup. Will he be worth the money and live up to the hype? Cespedes has the natural ability to be at least a 20/20 player with impressive center field defense, but beyond that it is hard to say. Is he a .300 hitter? A .250 hitter? Will he draw walks or will he be impatient? How much OBP will you get out of him? Will he strike out a lot or make good contact? How will he adjust mentally and emotionally to North America? Is he a Cuban Adam Jones (a common comp), or Chris Young, or Colby Rasmus, or Matt Kemp?

I don't know, but it will sure be interesting to watch. If I had to rank him on my Top 50 hitting prospects list, he'd probably be ninth.

From John Sickels of The Baseball Prospect Book:

What are the Athletics getting with Cespedes? He's a 26-year-old right-handed hitter and thrower, born October 10, 1985, listed at 5-11, 215 pounds. He's rated as a complete talent: power, speed, glove: he has it all, at least in raw form. He has been a Serie Nacional star in Cuba for the last eight seasons, and owns the single-season home run record. Scouts on the international circuit have been following him for years, so he's not an unknown quantity who came out of nowhere.

Power is his best hitting attribute: rated 70 on the 20/80 scouting scale by most who have seen him in person. Reports on his pure hitting skills are a bit more mixed, and not everyone is sure how he'll handle the strike zone against major league pitching, or what his batting average and OBP will look like. He is an excellent overall athlete, with the speed for center field and a strong throwing arm.

Is he ready for the majors now? Unless he totally bombs in spring training, he should be in the Opening Day lineup. Will he be worth the money and live up to the hype? Cespedes has the natural ability to be at least a 20/20 player with impressive center field defense, but beyond that it is hard to say. Is he a .300 hitter? A .250 hitter? Will he draw walks or will he be impatient? How much OBP will you get out of him? Will he strike out a lot or make good contact? How will he adjust mentally and emotionally to North America? Is he a Cuban Adam Jones (a common comp), or Chris Young, or Colby Rasmus, or Matt Kemp?

I don't know, but it will sure be interesting to watch. If I had to rank him on my Top 50 hitting prospects list, he'd probably be ninth.

At any rate, should be fun to watch.

But, you have to wonder what Billy Bean is up to. He guts his pitching staff for prospects galore, yet goes all in to sign Cespedes? If he struggles at the plate, then he as sunk $36 million into a project.

It will be interesting to see how Cespedes' year plays out.

That's the word...ergo the Willie Mo Pena and Reuben Mateo comparisons.

When he was with the (Red) Sox, I saw Pena hit one of the longest home runs I have ever seen. I'm not sure why anyone ever threw him a fastball because he would crush it. But he just couldn't handle any off-speed stuff, particualrly a good curveball. At times he looked mystified that a ball could move like that.

On top of having a movie made about him, Beane just received a contract extension. If he made a mistake on Cespedes, then the only sequel he'll need to worry about is how he can work around it. If Cespedes pans out, most likely he's a trade piece after two years.

And Wily Mo hit one into the waterfall in Kansas City last summer. He tears up AAA, but can't handle MLB. At this point he ought to try Japan. He could get at least one year big money year out of it, more than one if he can handle it (which I doubt since it's a breaking ball league).

And Wily Mo hit one into the waterfall in Kansas City last summer. He tears up AAA, but can't handle MLB. At this point he ought to try Japan. He could get at least one year big money year out of it, more than one if he can handle it (which I doubt since it's a breaking ball league).

He's one step ahead of you. He signed a two-year contract with the Japan Series champion Fukuoka Softbank Hawks back in December.

He's one step ahead of you. He signed a two-year contract with the Japan Series champion Fukuoka Softbank Hawks back in December.

Dang! I must have missed that or completely forgot, but thanks. I just looked it up. Wily Mo will earn $2.5M plus incentives per season. Smart move!

Ozzie Guillen vows not to let Carlos Zambrano get out of control

“Maybe it’s not his fault,’’ Guillen said. “Maybe it’s somebody’s fault. Maybe they let that tiger leave the cage and couldn’t bring him back. That tiger is not going to leave the cage. I guarantee you he is not leaving the cage. I guarantee you that. As soon as he tries to open the cage, I’ll be waiting for his ass.’’

“I never had any problem about [players] going all crazy,’’ Guillen said. “… We never had problems in the clubhouse. I throw a lot of people under the bus. We never had any problems. They know why. I don’t see any problem with Carlos.

“Do I want him to get [ticked off]? Of course, I do. But take it easy, tiger. Like I say, in Venezuela, there’s the bull and the goddamned matador. He will be dead in two seconds because I know how to kill the bull at the right time.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/10791880-452/ozzie-guillen-vows-not-to-let-carlos-zambrano-get-out-of-control.html

It's a going to be a very boring (and probably sucky) summer in Chicago. I am wishing the Marlins my best.

http://www.suntimes....of-control.html

It's a going to be a very boring (and probably sucky) summer in Chicago. I am wishing the Marlins my best.

4 years, all we will have to wait is another 4 years.

For this year I am excited about the prospect of LaHair at first, and seeing what Castro can do this year. Also Geo looks to be the leader in the clubhouse now. Hopefully he can step up to that challenge.

This season will have its ups and downs for sure, but it will be fun to watch a team being built.

As for the Marlins, it is gonna be a train wreck, it just will.

4 years, all we will have to wait is another 4 years.

For this year I am excited about the prospect of LaHair at first, and seeing what Castro can do this year. Also Geo looks to be the leader in the clubhouse now. Hopefully he can step up to that challenge.

This season will have its ups and downs for sure, but it will be fun to watch a team being built.

As for the Marlins, it is gonna be a train wreck, it just will.

The chemistry looks SO bad for the Marlins...it's like they were putting together a fantasy team. If Ramirez and Zambrano don't fly off the rails, then maybe. But past history shows that one of both of these guys will go ballistic sooner or later.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Ryan Braun exonerated, will not be suspended.

I don't know if exonerated is the right word. He did not receive a suspension due to a technicality. He was not found innocent of taking PEDs.

It is like a murder found not guilty because of DNA and blood evidence being mishandled by technicians.

Wonders if Braun will spend the rest of his days looking for the "real PEDs" on the golf course.

I want to believe that he has never taken PEDs, I really do. From all accounts he is a great player, teammate, and person, however I cannot. I think this has more to say about the nature of the baseball era we are coming out of (still in?) then Braun as a person. If I hadn't heard Palmaro lie, McGuire refuse to talk, Sosa forget the English language, A-Rod shown as a cheater, and Manny being Manny, I would be inclined to believe him, but I can't. That to me is what is sad.