McCartney Meets Members of Wilco

Where does the Weir reference come from? I missed that.

http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2010/02/contacting-the-dead-bob-weir-talks-about-going-furthur-with-phil-lesh.html

Are there any contemporary jam bands that you think have the stuff that The Grateful Dead had? Is there anybody that you see out there that you admire?

“Yeah, I’m a big fan of Wilco’s, for instance. I don’t so much care for their records as I love what they do live. Having played on the same bill with them a couple of times, I was dazzled. Aside from that, really, I don’t listen to a lot of current, contemporary music. And so I’m not the one to ask.”

Hmmm...a Wilco McCartney collaboration isn't all that unreasonable.

McCartney had a pretty nice collaboration with Elvis Costello a while back, and his Fireman project is a pretty good recent collaborative effort with Youth.

Why not Sir Paul and the boys?

If I could see McCartney and Wilco in a single night, my head might explode. The universe could implode into itself and I'd be a happy man.

How about seeing Wilco AND Paul in March? It's possible for the Dutch and Belgium Wilco-/Paul fans! So a little explosion in the head?

Hmmm...a Wilco McCartney collaboration isn't all that unreasonable.

McCartney had a pretty nice collaboration with Elvis Costello a while back, and his Fireman project is a pretty good recent collaborative effort with Youth.

Why not Sir Paul and the boys?

Maybe a single could be recorded with Macca, for charity. I could see the band recording a version of 'the whole love' with Macca playing and singing with Jeff. That song definitely has a Paul vibe and feel to it. On the flip side, they could do a Paul song, backing Paul.

I feel like Wilco's most McCartney-esque tune in my mind is Hummingbird which has a bit of a Penny Lane quality in the piano and the Martha My Dear string part on viola. Would love to hear them back him up on just about anything from the Get Back-era, and Jeff's talked about his love for Wings Over America, the big live LP from the seventies before.

--Mike

For me, the poppier songs on Summerteeth have the pot soaked, melodic bent of Wings.

I'm a recovering Beatlemaniac (if pressed & I had to choose a fave, they'd still be my first choice), and as I've said before, I love Wilco partly because they most certainly often sound like various different eras of Beatles, but much more so because they feel like The Beatles...in that they are mind bendingly eclectic, but they always sound like themselves as well...and while they have influences a-plenty that I adore, they don't sound derivative, they transcend their influences.

I love McCartney, both with The Beatles & solo. I've seen him fairly recently...in '09 in Boston, great seats at Fenway Park & the threat of not knowing if/when he'd be near, or still as great, forced me into a stadium situation, but...like I said we had great seats & it was Fenway (my fave baseball stadium)...then I saw him in much better circumstances in '10 in hockey arenas in Toronto & Pittsburgh, again with killer seats, and he was amazing again.

He's still often amazing, but can have some off moments that I've heard...and the 2011 tour was all huge stadiums...thought about Yankee Stadium, had great seats & ended up selling them...as I'm just not into stadiums & the setlist was over 75% the same.

So unless he goes back to smaller venues...or...if Wilco were open for him!!!!! These are the only ways that I'd ever probably see him again.

Wondering if there is even a vague chance of them opening for him, since he does only a couple dozen tour dates a year...also wonder if Wilco might open for Neil Young & Crazy Horse at all this Summer...know they've opened for Neil before...

I'm seeing Wilco as many times as I can this Summer (anything within 6 or so hours from Rochester, N.Y. area- Toronto, New York City, Philly, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Akron, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, maybe even Boston etc., etc.) & would love it if I could add seeing them with Neil & The Horse, and/or Macca to that list!!