McCartney Meets Members of Wilco

I was reading this off the hollywood reporter's website and this caught my eye, here's just some of it here:

The previous night, McCartney and Shevell hit their share of Grammy afterparties, including Warner Music Group's bash at the Chateau Marmont. There, McCartney and the Mrs., who had changed from a red carpet gown into jeans and boots (McCartney also offered his jacket for the chilly L.A. night), were spotted cutting a rug on the dance floor to the tune of Michael Jackson -- Macca with fists in the air. Houston's breakout hit "How Will I Know" was also pumped through the speakers, eliciting the loudest cheer of the night.

After catching his breath, the two were later introduced to members of Wilco who were flabbergasted to hear from McCartney that he had watched their Austin City Limits performance on television.

anyway, that's all it had said, wonder which members of wilco it was? sounds pretty cool!

I was reading this off the hollywood reporter's website and this caught my eye, here's just some of it here:

The previous night, McCartney and Shevell hit their share of Grammy afterparties, including Warner Music Group's bash at the Chateau Marmont. There, McCartney and the Mrs., who had changed from a red carpet gown into jeans and boots (McCartney also offered his jacket for the chilly L.A. night), were spotted cutting a rug on the dance floor to the tune of Michael Jackson -- Macca with fists in the air. Houston's breakout hit "How Will I Know" was also pumped through the speakers, eliciting the loudest cheer of the night.

After catching his breath, the two were later introduced to members of Wilco who were flabbergasted to hear from McCartney that he had watched their Austin City Limits performance on television.

anyway, that's all it had said, wonder which members of wilco it was? sounds pretty cool!

Well, Spencer (Tweedy) wrote on his blog that Sir Paul told John (Stirratt) about staying up to watch the ACL appearance. I bet Pat (Sansone) was somewhere around, too, considering he loves McCartney. :thumbup

Wilco at the Grammys: An Instagram Photo Diary

"Although Wilco‘s The Whole Love didn’t win a Grammy for “Best Rock Album,” it’s not to say the band sat around and wallowed in lost statues of gold phonographs. Quite the contrary. Check out the photo gallery below, where Wilco’s Jon Stirratt and Mikael Jorgensen documented their day behind-the-scenes for Hive starting at the pool and ending with Sir Paul McCartney. Because really, there’s nothing left after Macca."

http://read.mtvhive.com/2012/02/13/wilco-grammy-awards-photos/#/1

Hearing about the Macca meeting warms the cockles of my heart. Only the other day the thought crossed my mind that he should ask them to open for him on tour sometime.

when i first heard capitol city, it reminds me of something from yellow submarine,listening to the whole love, john's bass playing really shines, i'd place him up there with any of the great bass players in rock music.

when i first heard capitol city, it reminds me of something from yellow submarine,listening to the whole love, john's bass playing really shines, i'd place him up there with any of the great bass players in rock music.

Agreed. And he provides some beautiful backing vocals! I'm a fan. (And his in-law tweets were hilarious)

Maybe Paul could open for Wilco on their summer tour and do an encore with them the next time they are on Austin City Limits? :D

Didn't a similar chance meeting at previous Grammy awards lead to a Feist collaboration? Here's to hoping!

So true. In the latest album in particular, "Sunloathe" has some distinctly Beatlesque sounds, Strawberry Fields-era, maybe?

ix-nay on the Strawberry Fields. That one was John's. Don't ruin their chances.*

*clearly joking, blogosphere

I love that both Bob Weir and Paul McCartney are fans of Wilco

And Greg Allman.

Only the other day the thought crossed my mind that he should ask them to open for him on tour sometime.

He should ask them to be his backing band.

I feel like Wilco's most McCartney-esque tune in my mind is Hummingbird which has a bit of a Penny Lane quality in the piano and the Martha My Dear string part on viola. Would love to hear them back him up on just about anything from the Get Back-era, and Jeff's talked about his love for Wings Over America, the big live LP from the seventies before.

--Mike