Reservations about Reservations

Apologies if this topic has been addressed (did a search but couldn't find anything).

I need you to pitch 'Reservations' to me. It is the only song on YHF that I don't like. It's the chorus mostly that bothers me. And I don't normally think this about Jeff's voice, I love his voice, but in this song he sounds like a muppet. I picture Kermit singing it with Ralph on the keyboard.

I've read many comments saying that this song is great but I'm wondering what everyone sees/hears in this song that makes it great. I love the rest of the songs so I feel like I must be missing something about this song.

I guess I'm thinking about Poor Places. I didn't like that song for awhile and then I really dug the live version on Kicking Television and that got me into the studio track. I heard things I never noticed before. I think when people listen to songs initially they latch on to the parts they love or the parts they hate and that overshadows any subsequent listenings. At least that's how I am. So it 's as if I want you to point my ears in the direction of things you like about the song. I might end up really not liking it but at least then I'll feel like I'm giving it a fair shake. Also, this is kind of uptight and a little ridiculous, but I want to like a whole album for once. I haven't done that since the 1990s and that was with The Beatles's Revolver :/

Well, the lyrics express a really heartfelt and sincere sentiment, hopeful and positive about love and how its really the most important thing in life. Coming at the end of an album with an overall dark and depressing mood (to me), its a very nice finishing statement, kinda like the light at the end of the tunnel and never giving up on trying to be happy. It also reminds me of what Jeff later talked about in the Sky Blue Sky interview DVD regarding how on that record he wanted to make a nice personal statement of gratitude and love to his wife, especially after all the "difficult" songs she's had to hear about their relationship (I'm thinking via Chicago is at the top of that list). Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but its what has occurred to me.

Reservations is just a well written, melodic and pretty song. It also has a lovely melancholy feeling and it really rings true with me. I think its one of the best songs on YHF, but that has a lot to do with my personal tastes in music.

Well, the lyrics express a really heartfelt and sincere sentiment, hopeful and positive about love and how its really the most important thing in life. Coming at the end of an album with an overall dark and depressing mood (to me), its a very nice finishing statement, kinda like the light at the end of the tunnel and never giving up on trying to be happy.

I've always loved Reservations too, and I've thought of it as a statement of faith in love--messy, complicated, confusing and sometimes contradictory, but ultimately true love wins. I personally think that Jeff's voice on that song perfectly fits the tone. I'm not musically sophisticated but isn't the song in sort of a minor key?

Interestingly, Jeff has called this a sad song (I think he said this at the recent Chicago solo show) but I think he's just using shorthand and referring to the melancholy sound of the song, rather than the overall intent of the lyrics.

Either the lyrics do it for you or they don't. The first time I heard it, it was like a punch to the gut. I can relate to that song so well.

Just listened to the YHF version and I don't get the Kermit vibe at all... but it is a song (like a few from YHF, actually) that I definitely prefer to hear a live version over the studio recording.

It's a gorgeous song. It's patient and intense at the same time. I think it's the most "naked" thing that Jeff did on that record. AGIB and SBS had more of that kind of thing too, but Reservations stands alone on YHF. The outro is musically one of the most beautiful things in the whole catalog.

It's a gorgeous song. It's patient and intense at the same time. I think it's the most "naked" thing that Jeff did on that record. AGIB and SBS had more of that kind of thing too, but Reservations stands alone on YHF. The outro is musically one of the most beautiful things in the whole catalog.

Strangely enough, sometimes, but not always, the outro is something I skip. It's pretty for sure...I suppose I just have to be in the mood for it.

If you can stop your brain from making that association, you have my admiration.

Until you erase Kermit and The Muppets music from your brain's associations (is this even possible?), I suspect you will always think of Kermit no matter what we say here. Thankfully, I will never hear Kermit in any song because I don't have a history with Kermit. No kids. No repeat Muppet music in my head.

In a similar vein, sorta the same thing as people's faces -- some people look like specific cartoon characters to me. Cartoon characters from my childhood which I watched repeatedly, like kids do. No matter what, if I meet someone new and they remind me of, for example, Rocky the Squirrel, I will always think of Rocky the Squirrel when I see that person. I don't like this at all, but my brain does this without my permission!

In a similar vein, sorta the same thing as people's faces -- some people look like specific cartoon characters to me. Cartoon characters from my childhood which I watched repeatedly, like kids do. No matter what, if I meet someone new and they remind me of, for example, Rocky the Squirrel, I will always think of Rocky the Squirrel when I see that person. I don't like this at all, but my brain does this without my permission!

Now be honest, Wendy... Which cartoon character do you always think of when you see me? (Bob Saget doesn't count.)

It's a good song. Really pretty melody and bittersweet lyrics.

Non-Muppet version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEaGCoHnHg

Okay, this version, I like. Thank you for posting! His voice is so much better to me and the arrangement, the chorus isn't as dream-sequence-y (I doubt that makes any sense to anybody else but it's the only way to describe how I hear it!).. It's cooler, and his voice sounds more earnest and aching and not at all spongy! Maybe I'll just give up on the studio version. I mean, this version is great so maybe I can just satisfy myself by saying it's a good song but I don't like that Muppet version.

Maybe Muppets was a little harsh, sometimes he reminds me of the lead singer of Green Day in that song, but, yeah, sometimes Kermit.

Thanks again for posting! All you guys, thanks.

I have reservations about your last post.

Will you make an announcement when your reservations have been lifted about the song in general? Or at least the studio version?

Poor Places > Reservations is such a nice way to end that album. (IMO) I mean it sincerely.

Will you make an announcement when your reservations have been lifted about the song in general? Or at least the studio version?

Poor Places > Reservations is such a nice way to end that album. (IMO) I mean it sincerely.

I will go you one step further, Pot Kettle Black> Poor Places> Reservations is one of the best album closers ever produced.

In less than 30 seconds, try to name another.

DUDE.......good to see you here.

-Robert

I didn't love Reservations until I heard a solo acoustic version of it and really listened to the lyric. It's quietly devastating to me. "How can I convince you it's me I don't like" and "I've always told lies for love." Essentially, saying "I don't like myself and I'm a liar." The chorus is in contrast saying, "I trust almost nobody, but I trust you." So raw and honest. How vulnerable you would have to become, to say that out loud. How many of us could be so honest about our worst faults? That's what I hear in it.