I know there is a whole other thread about who's going where when etc., and I've actually got Wolf Trap and Charlottesville between now and then, but I've really been wondering about this Mass Moca show. I wonder how different it will be from their other concerts, before and after? And the crowd too--more hardcore fans? Fewer? I think it will be different but I can't figure out how. Let's engage in wild speculation!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the room is small. Could mean a quieter show or a very loud massive ringing in the ears show. But, they did rehearse for Solid Sound in there last year and those shows were normal Wilco concerts volume wise. I was hoping for a full YHF performance for the ten year celebration, but I don't think Tweedy is into that stuff. I hope it is just Wilco and no local opening act but I bet that is not going to happen. We'll probably have to listen to some avant-garde opening act to make the locals happy and then Wilco will open with that 12 minute Jane Smiley tune to put everyone into a really sleepy mood. If I was king for a day, I would have them blast the roof off the place and play nothing but loud noisy rockers. But, that's me.

It's a small room. Thought i read 1,000 tickets. Wonder if there will be chairs or open floor? When the Autumn Defense set was moved in there at 1st Solid Sound, the floor was open in front with risers and seats in the back s my memory. For the comedy cabaret last year it was all chairs. Wonder if anyone has seen a proper concert in that room? I was also under the impression that there will be no opener, which is what I am counting on. And I have no problem if they decide to open with One Sunday Morning.

Unfortunately, I won't be there, but I think that room has the potential for a great, intimate show. When Autumn Defense played that space at SS 2010, I was about halfway back and it sounded absolutely beautiful. Later read a review of it that described it as "countrified shimmer" and those words described it perfectly. If I were going, I'd definitely be hoping for OSM!

Unfortunately, I won't be there, but I think that room has the potential for a great, intimate show. When Autumn Defense played that space at SS 2010, I was about halfway back and it sounded absolutely beautiful. Later read a review of it that described it as "countrified shimmer" and those words described it perfectly. If I were going, I'd definitely be hoping for OSM!

There was something about that Autumn Defense show that was very special. Maybe the combo of the room and it being Solid Sound, I don't know, but "countrified shimmer" says it perfectly. I am so looking forward to seeing Wilco there.

We'll probably have to listen to some avant-garde opening act to make the locals happy and then Wilco will open with that 12 minute Jane Smiley tune to put everyone into a really sleepy mood. If I was king for a day, I would have them blast the roof off the place and play nothing but loud noisy rockers. But, that's me.

Locals being senior museum staff? Not that there aren't plenty of exceptions, but I'd say the majority of North Adams natives listen to top 40, radio-ready country. There's also a lot of death-by-bass-speaker action at stop lights.

Locals being senior museum staff? Not that there aren't plenty of exceptions, but I'd say the majority of North Adams natives listen to top 40, radio-ready country. There's also a lot of death-by-bass-speaker action at stop lights.

Staff and the local artist community. Isn't that what the benefit is for? We'll see soon.

Just a comment about hotels for next year's Solid Sound Festival. The fact that Wilco has given over a years notice on this event, many hotels would not book rooms until they set rates for that weekend. Those that are now booking, with rooms available, are requiring a three night minimum stay at extortion rates. The two hotels that I used for the first two festivals and booked for two nights now have the three night policy with much higher rates than previously. After telling them how much that sucked and that most people leave on Sunday afternoon, they told me that was the policy for that weekend for all hotels in the area. Talk about squeezing every dollar from people. Closest available hotel is over 15 miles away. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you the name. And you can get it for two nights. Wilco should keep them guessing for 2014...

Just a comment about hotels for next year's Solid Sound Festival. The fact that Wilco has given over a years notice on this event, many hotels would not book rooms until they set rates for that weekend. Those that are now booking, with rooms available, are requiring a three night minimum stay at extortion rates. The two hotels that I used for the first two festivals and booked for two nights now have the three night policy with much higher rates than previously. After telling them how much that sucked and that most people leave on Sunday afternoon, they told me that was the policy for that weekend for all hotels in the area. Talk about squeezing every dollar from people. Closest available hotel is over 15 miles away. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you the name. And you can get it for two nights. Wilco should keep them guessing for 2014...

We came up with the same issue with a hotel (b&b, actually) that was holding a room for us because we had used them 2x before. But they came back to us with a higher price and 3 night min. I poked around and found a house with 3 bedrooms in Williamstown for the same price AND they threw Sunday night in there for free. I wasn't going to stay Sunday night, but I might now!

Are there any other tapers going to MassMoCA? This will be the first Wilco show I'm going to with a woman I've been seeing, she's really into Wilco, I'd kind of like to spend the time with her. Anyway if there are other tapers going I was wondering if I could arrange a patch out before the show?

thanks,

John

Is there an announced time for this show? I looked at the Shows page on the Wilco site and there is no time listed. Also, anyone know what time doors?

I answered my own questions. Mass MoCA site says show at 8:00. Also says to come early as galleries will be open until 7:30. Any VC Pre-show gathering?

Is there an announced time for this show? I looked at the Shows page on the Wilco site and there is no time listed. Also, anyone know what time doors?

I answered my own questions. Mass MoCA site says show at 8:00. Also says to come early as galleries will be open until 7:30. Any VC Pre-show gathering?