so...when i went last week to grab m. ward's new album, beside it in the new releases was "boys and girls" by alabama shakes. i've seen them mentioned as a pretty good live act, sorta grungy (but not seattle/plaid grunge), but never listened to the ep out last year nor any of the posted videos of them. but, their album was cheap so i grabbed it, what the hell, right? long story short, this is a fantastic album that i think deserves its own thread.

i know some of you have seen them live because of comments, but i'm interested to hear how this album's sound stacks up to their live show?

another comment that i had read on here (forgot the thread) that really grabbed my attention was that someone said robert plant left some show 30 mins early to go see alabama shakes, which, now, strikes me as interesting because there are several parts on this album where i can hear led zepp's influence (but i don't find it derivative).

check this album out.

i would never have thought to use "grunge" to refer to them

they're a very good band (slightly better live) but not yet a great one for me. it's really nice to see them breakout like they have, and i think they have more than enough potential to deliver a truly great album come lp2/3. boys and girls is a top notch debut, and hold on remains a hell of a jam.

Or a black Janis Joplin. Neat review in Jambands - http://www.jambands....akes-boys-girls

Very very true! I was thinking Joplin during some of the songs as well.

Love Lee Bains and the Glory Fires too. Had heard of them, but not heard them, and they were fantastic as the opener.

Cortez - you heard Colleen Rennison of the Vanccouver Band - No Sinner.

http://youtu.be/zLJy-WAkE4M

got to see her at some point.

Very very true! I was thinking Joplin during some of the songs as well.

Love Lee Bains and the Glory Fires too. Had heard of them, but not heard them, and they were fantastic as the opener.

Cortez - you heard Colleen Rennison of the Vanccouver Band - No Sinner.

http://youtu.be/zLJy-WAkE4M

got to see her at some point.

That's spooky. She even looks like her.

by all accounts their live show is damn good, but sadly I have to say I'm only digging 4-5 songs off the full length a ton, and 3 of those are from last years EP :(.

it's *GOOD*, just not amazing for me. Hold On is clearly superior to the rest of their songs so far and I feel like it's a bit too slow/midtempo to hold my interest for more than a few songs at a time.

def rooting for them as I love everything ABOUT them, but I just really hoped to love the album way more than I do sadly.

i know we use this term a lot around here, but on the first and second spin, this album was just sort of there, after that, it stuck with me, like an ear worm, and i had to play it more and more. yesterday for instance i listened to the whole thing top to bottom four times.

all that to say: it was a grower for me.

and, i think the sequencing/track order speaks in and of itself. this is a solid, cohesive set of songs.

i know we use this term a lot around here, but on the first and second spin, this album was just sort of there, after that, it stuck with me, like an ear worm, and i had to play it more and more. yesterday for instance i listened to the whole thing top to bottom four times.

all that to say: it was a grower for me.

and, i think the sequencing/track order speaks in and of itself. this is a solid, cohesive set of songs.

Had this same experience. My two year old girl loves it as well, especially "Hold On". I asked her this morning if she wanted to watch Barney, Elmo or Alabama Shakes (from Conan) and she resoundingly said "Bama Shakes!!". I can't wait to see them and Gary Clark Jr. at Newport.

From your earlier comments on Plant/Zeppelin, check out this cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbDJW2oK7zw

I saw them at SXSW. I'd been a fan for a while (thanks to Aquarium Drunkard) and was worried they might not live up to my expectations, but it was easily one of the best SXSW sets I've ever seen. It's like Aretha fronting Led Zeppelin. Sure, the album doesn't live up to the live show, but they recorded it over a year ago, before they were a real touring band.

Had this same experience. My two year old girl loves it as well, especially "Hold On". I asked her this morning if she wanted to watch Barney, Elmo or Alabama Shakes (from Conan) and she resoundingly said "Bama Shakes!!". I can't wait to see them and Gary Clark Jr. at Newport. From your earlier comments on Plant/Zeppelin, check out this cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbDJW2oK7zw

that's cool! thanks for sharing that. it is the early zeppelin that i heard in them, so this makes sense to me for them to cover this.