Record Store Day - 2012

2cd4cec08bdd11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

So, anyone get anything good today? My store had some slim pickins, but I did ask them to save the UT stuff for me. Here is what I picked up:

* Uncle Tupelo - No Depression 12" LP

* Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992 12" LP

* Uncle Tupelo - Still Feel Gone 12" LP

* Uncle Tupelo - The Seven Inch Single Box

* Miles Davis - Forever Miles 12" LP

* Bunch of free samples/singles (the Sup-Pop and New West Records are good)

All in all, the experience was a lot of fun. Got to my store (Sound Spectrum in Laguna Beach, CA) a little early and there were dudes waiting outside already. Dudes had their lists of stuff they wanted. Guy next to me had some diverse tastes (he bought Misfits, Lana Del Ray, Miles, Dave Brubeck, Flaming Lips, Skip James, ...). A lot of fun.

* Uncle Tupelo - No Depression 12" LP

* Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992 12" LP

* Uncle Tupelo - Still Feel Gone 12" LP

* Uncle Tupelo - The Seven Inch Single Box

*The Black Angels - “Lonely” B/W “Watch Out Boy” Orange 7"

*Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

*Big Star - #1 Record

*Arcade Fire - Funeral

My record store opened up their back room with a lot of cool used vinyl so I grabbed Pink Floyd - The Wall and The Who - Who's Next which are both in great condition.

Got there about 45 minutes early, was 180th in line. Amazing, gets bigger every year. Got tons of good stuff. Had the Uncle Tupelo 7 inches in my hand the entire time, then bailed on it while waiting in line to pay. Just could not bring myself to pay $45 for it. I did pick up Lee Hazlewood, the Buck Owens coloring book, Social Distortion colored vinyl, live knack, and some other stuff. Ended up spending about $200.

I helped out at Laurie's yesterday and had a ball. Crazy busy all day. Despite the Reader's snakry cover photo this week, I think RSD still has plenty to offer. Hopefully everyone will keep supporting their local shop the rest of the year too.

LouieB

Got there about 45 minutes early, was 180th in line. Amazing, gets bigger every year. Got tons of good stuff. Had the Uncle Tupelo 7 inches in my hand the entire time, then bailed on it while waiting in line to pay. Just could not bring myself to pay $45 for it. I did pick up Lee Hazlewood, the Buck Owens coloring book, Social Distortion colored vinyl, live knack, and some other stuff. Ended up spending about $200.

Buck Owens was the man. Those coloring books are already listed on Ebay for 60-90 bucks.

Buck was cool, but the book was kind of cheesy and the flexidisk hardly worth the money. I suppose everyone has collectable items they just have to have, but I passed on this one.

I got the Lee Hazelwood, but passed on the MIles which I regret. The Devo concert LP looked cool, but expensive also. I did buy the 10 inch Dave Brubeck Octet reissue with Cal Tjader.

LouieB

My local record store - 90 minute drive away - got one copy of the Whole Love RSD box set. I was #25 in line to get into the store but I was able to grab it for $70. I see that they are going for a little over $100 on ebay now. Hate to see scalpers benefit so much on RSD. Are there any differences in this RSD box set from the one originally released last year? I own that on vinyl and CD but didn't buy the original box (dumb of me since I have bought nearly every piece separately since then).

Buck Owens was the man. Those coloring books are already listed on Ebay for 60-90 bucks.

Really? Thought I would display mine on top of my CD cabinet. It promptly fell down behind and I'm not sure how I will get it out. Maybe when I move in a few years it will be a nice surprise.

Buck was cool, but the book was kind of cheesy and the flexidisk hardly worth the money. I suppose everyone has collectable items they just have to have, but I passed on this one.

I got the Lee Hazelwood, but passed on the MIles which I regret. The Devo concert LP looked cool, but expensive also. I did buy the 10 inch Dave Brubeck Octet reissue with Cal Tjader.

LouieB

RE: Buck Owens: Yeah, I'm afraid to open it to get the download card out as it looks like it could rip the book, not even sure what the download card is for. But now it's hidden behind the CD case so no worry. I kind of regret passing up on the Miles as well. Passed on the Devo which I had planned to buy also. I had the white stripes 7" in my hand as well but put it back. $12 seemed like too much for a 7". I need to quit being such a cheap bastard.

RE: Buck Owens: Yeah, I'm afraid to open it to get the download card out as it looks like it could rip the book, not even sure what the download card is for. But now it's hidden behind the CD case so no worry. I kind of regret passing up on the Miles as well. Passed on the Devo which I had planned to buy also. I had the white stripes 7" in my hand as well but put it back. $12 seemed like too much for a 7". I need to quit being such a cheap bastard.

Funny thing happened with the Devo.....Laurie's staff had been fastidious about organizing everything alpha and format and somehow the Devo was behind a box, not in it. I found it long after a few people had already asked for it and really coveted it. Someone else finally asked for it and I gave it to him, but mentioned I had wanted it and he offered it back to me. I refused.

Meanwhile the White Stripes single was well reprsented. They sent lots of them so just about everyone who wanted one got one. Lots of the other hot items were in shorter supply.

LouieB

• 6 months later...