Current Golden Smog?

Just resurrecting this thread, as it seems to be the main Golden Smog thread on here.

I popped the old Down By the Old Mainstream disc into my car's CD player, and have been listening to it the past couple of days. I remember it mainly for Radio King, Walk Where He Walked and Ill Fated, but it also has a great Tweedy vocal I'd completely forgotten about: She Don't Have to See You. Great tune.

Hearing that JT circa 1996 voice gets me excited for the pending Being There reissue. I'd love to see an expanded reissue of the Golden Smog stuff from this era; too bad there's probably not enough of a market for it.

“She Don’t Have To See You” is in the track list for the deluxe version of A.M.!

I would love to see a Smog set at Solid Sound sometime. Seems especially unlikely nowadays however with Dan Murphy out of the music business. I also get the sense that a lot of Wilco fans aren't really into GS..

As for expanded Smog reissue, what could they put out besides live takes (but some official live releases would be sweet!)? Seems unlikely there are unreleased GS tunes, since GS tunes are essentially outtakes from the various members' main bands to begin with.

• 1 year later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed like as good a place as any...

Sounds like a fun show to have been at. Wonder if anyone on here was in attendance (I'll bet solace was, though I don't think he frequents these parts much anymore). But anyway, I didn't even realize this show had happened until I stumbled on the article about it today. I guess Jeff has pretty much moved past GS these days, but it's nice to hear that the other guys seem to still find a way to play together every few years, even with Dan Murphy technically having "retired" from music.

Wow, thanks! Hadn’t heard about that either. Checked YT and found this:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed like as good a place as any...

Sounds like a fun show to have been at. Wonder if anyone on here was in attendance (I'll bet solace was, though I don't think he frequents these parts much anymore). But anyway, I didn't even realize this show had happened until I stumbled on the article about it today. I guess Jeff has pretty much moved past GS these days, but it's nice to hear that the other guys seem to still find a way to play together every few years, even with Dan Murphy technically having "retired" from music.

• 1 month later...

That does sound like a fun show! I love it when they pull out a few covers, and the writer is spot on that Kraig is a hidden gem in the band. Many of my favorite GS songs are his.

Indeed.. probably because the other guys were using their leftovers in GS while Kraig's songs were his best. Still, that's pretty admirable given how awesome many of those "leftovers' are!

Dan has also recently become active on instagram. Here's to hoping for a few more one-off gigs at least.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...