Best (favorite) side projects/supergroups (not including solo albums)

Hot Tuna, great, great band - but I think that may be a whole new band, right? They both were done with the Airplane for the most part, when Hot Tuna was their main outlet. Though I could be way off there..,

Hot Tuna, great, great band - but I think that may be a whole new band, right? They both were done with the Airplane for the most part, when Hot Tuna was their main outlet. Though I could be way off there..,

Hot Tuna started as a side project while Jack and Jorma were still in the Airplane. Their first one or 2 albums came out while the Airplane still existed, definitely the first acoustic album. Hot Tuna would open shows for the Airplane. Jack and Jorma eventually left the Airplane to do Hot Tuna full time. So I think they fit within this topic.

I had to suffer through all that grunge when I was working in a record store in the 90s and I didn't like any of it except Pearl Jam Ten and a song or two from Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins, so I'm definitely not the one to discuss the finer points of the different albums by any of those grunge bands. I did my best to tune it out because to me it mostly sounds like a wall of unpleasant noise.

The reason I like Mad Season so much is because its a late 60s/ early 70s style record, very Pink Floyd/Hendrix-ian in flavor. What a revelation to learn McCready could actually play what I consider good guitar solos. That record is dark and trippy, moody and atmospheric and there is space to breathe between the instruments, in contrast to the mushy, dense wall of noise that most of that grunge stuff was. Nothing wrong with people liking grunge and punk, but I have no interest in it.

I don't know if this counts since it was always only going to be one album and was basically a glorified Chris Cornell solo album, but I'm going with Temple of the Dog.

True he wrote most of the album, but I think there's plenty of the PJ sound to make this more than a CC solo album. I feel like Alain Johannes did the same for Euphoria Morning, as it sure doesn't sound like much else that Cornell has done.

Them Crooked Vultures

Raconteurs

Mad Season

Broken Bells

Brothers of a Feather

A Perfect Circle

Velvet Revolver's first album

Ugly cassanova

Issac Brock gets very little love in the someone else's song thread. Not sure if it is because this is a wilco board and MM threatens wilco's dominance, or if it is just old fashioned ignorance, but considering modest mouse is the only American band that could rival wilco's output in almost the exact same career time line, I am always surprised to not see them mentioned more. Ugly Cass was with Tim from Califone, a via Chicago fave.

Ugly cassanova

Issac Brock gets very little love in the someone else's song thread. Not sure if it is because this is a wilco board and MM threatens wilco's dominance, or if it is just old fashioned ignorance, but considering modest mouse is the only American band that could rival wilco's output in almost the exact same career time line, I am always surprised to not see them mentioned more. Ugly Cass was with Tim from Califone, a via Chicago fave.

man, modest mouse can't even come close to Wilco....laughable assumption/projection there.

I know that this is smartassed and has nothing to do with Wilco/Modest Mouse, but does VC already have a shoesgetcold and a shoesgetcold2 or is there some significance to the '3'? I am curious (but not yellow or blue).

Ugly cassanova

man, i'm a pretty big modest mouse fan, but what?

i didnt even know wilco had dominance to threaten

• 5 weeks later...