Presidential Race (Respector Edition)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current Social Security fund deficit of $1 trillion was primarily caused by two unpaid-for wars and tax breaks for the rich.

All of which Paul Ryan voted for. He is not a fiscal conservative when it comes to what he wants. No one is really.

LouieB

All of which Paul Ryan voted for. He is not a fiscal conservative when it comes to what he wants. No one is really.

LouieB

Yeah it is funny when a Dem is control all of these GOPers tend to spend like drunken sailors. But now, we have to tighten the purse strings. Oh and now lets cut NPR and the NEA, cause that will balance the budget.

The sole economic plan of RR is to cut programs for the poor (and now middle class) and let the wealthily have huge tax breaks. And the plan is all based upon some fuzzy math.

So it turns out that one of my co-workers knew Paul Ryan years ago: she actually went to the same high school with him, although she was not in the same class. She told a couple of us a rather funny story about how he was running for some type of office at the state level, I believe, and came literally running up to her at the state fair to try to secure her vote. He grabbed her hand (and held onto it) and started out with, "I know you're a Democrat, but..." She said the whole time he was talking, all she could think was, Eeewww. You're touching me. Stop touching me. Hahahaha.

Anyway, out of all the words she could use to describe him, what word do you suppose she used? Was he a jock? That wouldn't be a big surprise. A nerd? I could see that, for a future policy wonk. Could he have been a stoner who became a straight arrow Ayn Randian? Anything is possible.

Nope, it wasn't any of those. The word she used was sociopath.

So it turns out that one of my co-workers knew Paul Ryan years ago: she actually went to the same high school with him, although she was not in the same class. She told a couple of us a rather funny story about how he was running for some type of office at the state level, I believe, and came literally running up to her at the state fair to try to secure her vote. He grabbed her hand (and held onto it) and started out with, "I know you're a Democrat, but..." She said the whole time he was talking, all she could think was, Eeewww. You're touching me. Stop touching me. Hahahaha.

Anyway, out of all the words she could use to describe him, what word do you suppose she used? Was he a jock? That wouldn't be a big surprise. A nerd? I could see that, for a future policy wonk. Could he have been a stoner who became a straight arrow Ayn Randian? Anything is possible.

Nope, it wasn't any of those. The word she used was sociopath.

Nothing like a good, old fashioned ad hominum attack from an old school mate...

Another relevant graphic:

Growing-Gap-Between-Contributions-and-Benefits-for-Social-Security-and-Medicare.jpg

this is a perfect chart. if you look SS was completely solvent when Dems were in control and as soon as Republicans took over they destroyed it. Sorry that its that partisan and cut and dry but thats just the TRUTH. We can make it good in no time with a few tweaks that noone will even notice. Again i ask you to remember Al Gores lockbox and all of the jokes around it. Either way things will be fine.

That's interesting analysis. I am so glad you so easily gleaned the "TRUTH" from this chart. A few points...

1) What specific policy changes did Republicans make that affected SS solvency? You know the truth, this should be an easy question for you to answer.

2) This chart has a helluva lot more to do with demographics (aging baby boomers and recent unemployment affecting SS revenue) than it does with policy.

3) Republican periods of Congressional and/or WH dominance actually show more recent stronger solvency under Republicans than Democrats (90-91, 2000-03).

We can make it good in no time with a few tweaks that noone will even notice. Again i ask you to remember Al Gores lockbox and all of the jokes around it. Either way things will be fine.

What tweaks? Gore's lockbox or something else? I think you're fooling yourself. I don't really know the best ways to save or preserve this system, but I really think someone is going to have to feel the tweaks.

this is a perfect chart. if you look SS was completely solvent when Dems were in control and as soon as Republicans took over they destroyed it. Sorry that its that partisan and cut and dry but thats just the TRUTH. We can make it good in no time with a few tweaks that noone will even notice. Again i ask you to remember Al Gores lockbox and all of the jokes around it. Either way things will be fine.

"destroyed it"

haha

So this 700 billion the GOP is screaming that Obama "cut" from Medicare, really not the case.

The first is that Obama didn't necessarily "cut" Medicare; he limited the expected rate of growth in the program on the supplier side by eliminating waste, fraud and abuse, mostly in Medicare Advantage. And the savings that Obama achieved are adopted by Ryan in his own budget.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/15/paul-ryan-medicare-debate_n_1785454.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

The fundamental fact is that Obama wants to keep Medicare for everyone, whereas RR wants to change it to a private voucher system.

The GOP has consistently lied and twisted the words of the president in this debate.

It was a private conversation with two registered Democrats. She's not declaring this stuff publicly or even campaigning for Obama. I was just passing along the story.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I think being a sociopath could be relevant to someone's ability to adequately serve in public office. Which isn't to say one person's take is psychological fact, but not quite ad hominem either. Maybe if she had insulted his wardrobe, or his breath.

Paul Ryan's stated political positions are enough that I don't need to know whether he's a sociopath or not to know I don't want him in office. He could be the second coming of Christ and I still wouldn't want him fucking with social security, medicare, tax policy, etc.

Sorry I did not see Jules' earlier post asking me why we should remove the cap at which SS taxes apply.

The answer: because people who earn large sums of money per year need to pay a higher tax rate going forward, the way they did up until Dubya cut everyone's taxes. The revenue is needed.

Sorry I did not see Jules' earlier post asking me why we should remove the cap at which SS taxes apply.

The answer: because people who earn large sums of money per year need to pay a higher tax rate going forward, the way they did up until Dubya cut everyone's taxes. The revenue is needed.

That's a different argument. You were talking about the SS cap. "Dubya" didn't do anything to this cap.

You're right. But in the minds of most of us, taxes are taxes. The rich need to pay more, or they soon won't have anyone left to cut their grass or shine their shoes.

Here is another reality check for the wealthy:

27% of Americans don't save any money on a monthly basis

17% save $50 or less

12% save $51-100

So 56% of us now save a paltry $100 or less per month...pretty frightening. Only 15% of Americans save $500 or more per month. I was putting away $400 per month on a middle income until my divorce but now - like most of the people mentioned above, I suspect - I can't afford it. I'm going to have to live paycheck to paycheck unless I file for bankruptcy.

Source: http://www.dailyfina...nce-for-the-40/

You're right. But in the minds of most of us, taxes are taxes. The rich need to pay more, or they soon won't have anyone left to cut their grass or shine their shoes.

That would suck.