Top Ten Rolling Stones Songs

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first listen to Tumbling Dice was the Linda Rondstat version from the double album soundrack "FM" when I was 12.

too funny- check out this track listing - for a long time this was the only way to get your hands on that awesome Steely Dan song:

1. FM (No Static at All)" - Steely Dan – 4:52
  2. "Night Moves" - Bob Seger – 3:27
  3. "Fly Like an Eagle" - Steve Miller Band – 3:04
  4. "Cold as Ice" - Foreigner – 3:20
  5. "Breakdown" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – 2:44
  6. "Bad Man" - Randy Meisner – 2:38
  7. "Life in the Fast Lane" - Eagles – 4:46
  8. "Do It Again" - Steely Dan – 5:54
  9. "Lido Shuffle" - Boz Scaggs – 3:42
  10. "More Than a Feeling" - Boston – 4:45
  11. "Tumbling Dice" - Linda Ronstadt – 4:51 (Live Version)
  12. "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me" - Linda Ronstadt – 4:15 (Live Version)
  13. "Livingston Saturday Night" - Jimmy Buffett – 3:10
  14. "There's a Place in the World for a Gambler" - Dan Fogelberg – 5:41
  15. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel – 4:49
  16. "It Keeps You Runnin'" - The Doobie Brothers – 4:13
  17. "Your Smiling Face" - James Taylor – 2:43
  18. "Life's Been Good" - Joe Walsh – 8:05
  19. "We Will Rock You" - Queen – 2:04
  20. "FM (Reprise)" - Steely Dan – 2:54

carry on.

Pre-Beggars:

Paint It Black

Let's Spend the Night Together

Under My Thumb

The Last Time

Heart of Stone

Play With Fire

Satisfaction

Mother's Little Helper

We Love You

Child of the Moon

Beggars - Exile:

Sympathy For the Devil

Stray Cat Blues

Tumbling Dice

Sweet Virginia

Gimme Shelter

Monkey Man

Sway

Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Sister Morphine

Moonlight Mile

Post-Exile:

Waiting on a Friend

Undercover of the Night

Miss You

Shattered

Far Away Eyes

Beast of Burden

She's So Cold

Memory Motel

Fool to Cry

Time Waits For No One

• 1 month later...

I'm always surprised to see love for any live Stones vs. studio.  Never really cared for any live recordings.  Some are ok.  Mick's vocals usually sound awful, IMO.  After reading the Keith autobiography, I realized, as well, how much he used the studio to create a unique sound that cannot be replicated live.

I'm always surprised to see love for any live Stones vs. studio.  Never really cared for any live recordings.  Some are ok.  Mick's vocals usually sound awful, IMO.  After reading the Keith autobiography, I realized, as well, how much he used the studio to create a unique sound that cannot be replicated live.

In the case of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out; Every version is better than the studio counterpart.

err ...  you say Period ??   studio ..  there may be exceptions..

My primary exhibit:   studio Sympathy VS YAYA's Sympathy ..

Just listened to these back-to-back.  For me, it's not even close.  The studio version destroys the Ya-Ya's version.

I love Ya-ya's but I prefer the studio Sympathy, also.

uncool2pillow - have you listened to Stripped?  I think they sound great on it, esp. Jagger - I guess parts of it are pretty much "live in the studio".

The Stones definitely can sound like a mess on stage at times, but when they are on they're great. I think the official live 78 Texas release is great.

Listening to it now.  Jagger's vocals are better than a lot of the live I hear.  It's not that I particularly dislike live Stones.  I just strongly prefer the studio stuff.  I remember my college roommate really liked YaYa's  probably the first time I remember intently listening to live Stones.  I just did nothing for me.

Jumping Jack Flash

Studio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9XKVTNs1g4

Live - 

Street Fighting Man 

Studio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wKEzHXVPE4

Live - 

Sympathy for the Devil

Studio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8

Live (YaYas) - 

That riff sounds so much more dynamic in the studio to me.

I think I can see your point. I just always saw them as a get in there and knock it out sort of band. Of course, that may depend on which era we are talking about. I suppose Sticky Fingers may be the first polished sounding Stones album.

When I listen to live albums from that time I try to recall that most bands did have that great of a sound system to work with. But the power and energy that makes the Stones sound comes through on that album.

There's no doubt that they bring it live.  I've never seen them personally and the energy level of a show might give me a different viewpoint, but like I said before, I always liked the Stones studio stuff better and reading how meticulous Keith was in the studio affirmed what I always heard.

The recording from "Brussels" 1973 that is for sale on their website and at Wolfgang's Vault is some pretty dang good live Rolling Stones. http://www.rollingstones.com/2012/08/29/pre-order-the-brussels-affair-box-set/

Also I think the live DVD Ladies and Gentleman from the 1972 tour is primo Stones, but some here don't like it as much as I do. Yeah Mick was not that great, technicallym, of a singer live but he sure was a great frontman. Watching the band play live for me is more powerful than just listening to audio. Their greatness comes across more clearly to me. I wish there was high quality video footage from the '69 tour.

The recording from "Brussels" 1973 that is for sale on their website and at Wolfgang's Vault is some pretty dang good live Rolling Stones. http://www.rollingstones.com/2012/08/29/pre-order-the-brussels-affair-box-set/

Also I think the live DVD Ladies and Gentleman from the 1972 tour is primo Stones, but some here don't like it as much as I do. Yeah Mick was not that great, technicallym, of a singer live but he sure was a great frontman. Watching the band play live for me is more powerful than just listening to audio. Their greatness comes across more clearly to me. I wish there was high quality video footage from the '69 tour.

There is Gimme Shelter.

I have seen them on every tour since 89, with the exception of the Bigger Bang tour. It's a spectacle more than a concert - but it's fun. Since they play in large stadiums/arenas - the sound is not always that greates . The closest I ever was to the stage was about 20 rows/center in 89 - the other times it seemed liked they were miles away.

I read they were going out again - I guess it depends on the costs if I see them again - I thought they sounded okay in the December pay-per-view.

That being all said - I listened to their studio a lot more than their live stuff - even with bootlegs, I prefer the studio outtakes and such.

I love the take of Happy and Tumbling Dice from that film. You can see Keith yelling at Mick Taylor - pretty funny.

I prefer the Beggar's "Sympathy" to the Ya-Ya's version as well, but it might end there when we're talking about that '69 tour. Both the '69  tour and to a slightly lesser extent the '72 tour are the best examples of why this band could legitimately claim the title (as mentioned at the beginning of Ya-Ya's) of "The Greatest Rock-n-Roll Band In The World". It's the perfect combination of professionalism and raw energy. For me, when I hear live versions of stuff like "Flash" or "Midnight Rambler" from that era (to name just a couple of examples) the energy is almost overwhelming to me. And I've lived with this band's music since I was old enough to tie my own shoes.