Reminds me a bit of Daniel Johnston, actually.

And I don't mean that as an insult (I am a fan), there is just something about it -- an amateurishness -- that reminds me of DJ.

But I like it.

Oh, and something in his voice sounds to me like he's drinking again. Hopefully that's just an affectation.

EDIT: And I brought 14 Songs with me to work today, before seeing this thread at all. Must be a Westerbergian kinda feel in the air or something.

• 1 month later...

Reminds me a bit of Daniel Johnston, actually.

And I don't mean that as an insult (I am a fan), there is just something about it -- an amateurishness -- that reminds me of DJ.

But I like it.

Oh, and something in his voice sounds to me like he's drinking again. Hopefully that's just an affectation.

I love Westerberg (& Johnston) and I agree with you but I don't think it's a good thing and I'm not digging the song all that much.

• 3 years later...

Been listening to "The I Don't Cares" album for a couple days. Like it. "Hands Together", for me, is an instant Westerberg classic. So good.

Very worthwhile album for anybody who likes the Replacements and/or Westerberg. Hatfield's voice is nice on the record as well.

It took me a little while to get over being disappointed that it's yet another basement recording. But once I accepted that fact and gave it a shot, I'm hooked. I put it on par with 49:00, probably better actually. Hatfield adds more than a nice voice and guitar licks -- the chemistry between them on the sweet little ballads like Kissing Break just takes it up another notch. Well well worth checking out.

And I was happy to hear that it is yet another basement recording. :). I've only listened to it a couple of times so far, but I'm really enjoying it. Too soon to say if it's on a par with 49:00 yet though...that one completely knocked me out and I think it's one of the best things he's ever done.

I agree about 49:00...though I'd love to hear that thing without some of the break-ins and cuts. Especially "Goodnight Sweet Prince". "Terri" is a basically perfect pop song. 

I don't hear Mono talked about a lot. I love the loose and urgent feel of that record. 

The I Don't Cares record, after many listens, is really solid. I like the pacing of it. I don't really think to skip ahead. I want to listen start to finish.

• 1 year later...

That link isn't working any more, but the song is available at https://www.drywoodgarage.com/

I'm hopeful that it's a sign of a new album is about to drop, but the song itself (to my ears) is terrible. I might give it another try, but I really don't want to.

More of Paul masturbating in the basement (or I suppose garage now) isn't what I'm interested in.  He did some brilliant things there -- 49:00 is probably my favorite album of his, ever*** -- but his latest work has been honestly a little concerning.  I was hoping his experience with the reunion would have warmed himself back up to playing with other musicians again, and it seemed like the case with the I Don't Cares album he released with Juliana Hatfield, but this seems like a big step backward.  

*** edit: I just re-read my earlier comment saying that I thought the I Don't Cares album was better than 49:00.  what the hell was I smoking?

The Facebook and Twitter accounts for The Replacements have suddenly come back to life with a couple posts over the last few days. Both are pictures from a 1986 live show. Tonight's post cryptically says "coming soon". The Star Tribune has a piece up speculating that it could be a live archival release.

http://m.startribune.com/knock-knock-who-s-there-paul-westerberg-and-another-weird-track-under-an-alias-dry-wood-garage/433655233/

The Facebook and Twitter accounts for The Replacements have suddenly come back to life with a couple posts over the last few days. Both are pictures from a 1986 live show. Tonight's post cryptically says "coming soon". The Star Tribune has a piece up speculating that it could be a live archival release.

http://m.startribune.com/knock-knock-who-s-there-paul-westerberg-and-another-weird-track-under-an-alias-dry-wood-garage/433655233/

Saw that as well on Slicing Up Eye Balls

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2017/07/14/the-replacements-are-teasing-something/

Pretty cool, also I like comment that Husker Du is doing something similar.   

Looks like it's a 1986 live show from Maxwell's:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/replacements-unearth-1986-concert-for-live-at-maxwells-w492369

For Sale: Live at Maxwell's 1986 Track List

Disc One

1. "Hayday"
2. "Color Me Impressed"
3. "Dose Of Thunder"
4. "Fox On The Run"
5. "Hold My Life"
6. "I Will Dare"
7. "Favorite Thing"
8. "Unsatisfied"
9. "Can't Hardly Wait"
10. "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out"
11. "Takin' A Ride"
12. "Bastards Of Young"
13. "Kiss Me On The Bus"
14. "Black Diamond"

Disc Two

1. "Johnny's Gonna Die"
2. "Otto"
3. "I'm In Trouble"
4. "Left Of The Dial"
5. "God Damn Job"
6. "Answering Machine"
7. "Waitress In The Sky"
8. "Take Me Down To The Hospital"
9. "Gary's Got A Boner"
10. "If Only You Were Lonely"
11. "Baby Strange"
12. "Hitchin' A Ride"
13. "Nowhere Man"
14. "Go"
15. "Fuck School"

• 1 month later...

That was a great read. Thank you for sharing it.

Last week, we took one daughter to start her freshman year at college. This week, we will take her twin sister. No sadness here - they are ready to go, and that is something to celebrate.

Laurie Lindeen's piece, however, definitely made me sad.