Wilco — 9/19/12, Tucson, AZ (Tucson Convention Center Music Hall)

I am too impatient to wait for the offical thread so here I am. This was probably my 20th show or something I Definitely in the top 3. This suprised me because I just saw them in January in Tempe, AZ and it was good but not great. The last time Wilco played Tucson was on The Album tour and that was their first time in Tucson in a decade or something. The crowd was pretty dead at that show and I credit part of that too the venue ushers telling people to sit and smug hipsters who kept yelling at people to sit down.

People seemed to remember that this time and this show was the Tucson Convention Center (Music Hall). First of all the sound in this place really shocked me. I was expecting a cavernous room with echoing and muddy sound. Not in the least! Tweedy mentioned early on how happy they were to be playing indoors again after a summer full of festival shows. The show started with a scattered few standing and I saw ushers start to tell people to sit but when they realized those people were in the middle and not reacting to their flashlight they simply gave up. Between the first few songs some of the standing folks started to shout "stand up evryone, stand up". This seemed fairly useless as it came right when they played a few slower tracks into Sunday Morning it seemed hopeless but holy shit did the crowd come alive with Nels solo during Impossible Germany. There was really something special about it last night, he simply nailed it and was fueling off the crowds lust for his mind boggling guitar abilities. The crowd gave him a standing ovation and never sat the rest of the night.

As a general rule for me if the show starts with Misunderstood it's going to be a good show. I don't have the setlist but some of my favorite things are listed.

1. Starting the show with Misunderstood and going into Art of Almost

2. Lots of banter. Tweedy's sister was in the audience and i've been at several shows where she is present and he ALWAYS talks to her and about her from the stage.

3. I could be remembering wrong but I think they closed out the main set with Dawned on Me which is my favorite new album track.

4. Favorite closer combo with a bonus! Monday into Outtasite and closed it with Lonely One as the band slowly exited the stage. It was brilliant.

5. Glen broke a drum stick during a count off to start a song and Tweedy questioned if such a thing had ever been done before and immediately everyone said no and roared with cheers. Funny stuff.

A list of what I know was played in no particular order..

Misunderstood

Art of Almost

I might

Handshake Drugs

Heavy Metal Drummer

Christ for President

Laminated Cat

Hummingbird

Box Full of Letters

I'm Always in Love

Walken

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Jesus etc.

Radio Cure

War on War

One Sunday Morning

Monday

Outtasite

Red Eyed and Blue

The Lonely 1

A Shot in the Arm

Whole Love

Born Alone

I'm sure i'm missing a few. They played about 2 hours and 10 minutes give or take 5. To give some credibility to my claim this was a top show for me. I would put this up there with Night 1 of the Winter Residency and the show in Tempe I saw in 04' or 05' where Calexico opened up the show and joined the band on stage for encores.

Should we move this thread to the "After the Show" forum?

Great review! I was really pleased with the setlist last night -- I requested "Rising Red Lung" about a billion times on the website, so I was especially happy to hear that, even if Pat had to shush some folks near the front at the beginning of the song. I was glad the acoustics of the room allowed them to play some quieter songs.

The crowd was pretty dead for the first few songs, as you said, but everyone stood after "Impossible Germany" and most continued to stand for the rest of the show. Although sometimes it might seem like "Germany" could be rested, it's such a monster live that it can change the entire mood of a show. Jeff also started talking much more after the first 45 minutes or so, including chiding someone in the front row for peeking at the setlist.

Speaking of, here's the rough setlist -- all the songs are there, but the order is probably a bit off in the middle. They didn't actually play "One Sunday Morning" or "Red-Eyed and Blue" -- maybe you're confusing those songs with something else? I also noticed the roadies were crossing encore songs off with a sharpie -- I'd be curious to see what the original setlist said. I loved the encore that we got. Also, they played "Hotel Arizona" in Tempe earlier in the year, so I didn't mind its absence.

Misunderstood

Art of Almost

I Might

Sunken Treasure

One by One

Born Alone

Impossible Germany

Rising Red Lung

Handshake Drugs

Laminated Cat

Jesus etc.

War on War

Radio Cure

The Whole Love

Box Full of Letters

Always In Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Dawned on Me

Shot in the Arm

--

Hummingbird

Christ for President

Walken

Monday

Outtasite

Lonely 1

P.S. Jonathan Richman was terrific. Also, I hope the taper that was getting hassled by security in the 10th row managed to get a decent recording.

Its interesting (but not really surprising) how different folks can have such different perspectives on the same shows. I feel the opposite as you, but I can easily understand why you liked this show. I really liked the Tempe show but I was kinda bored at this one. I think it has to do with me seeing them too many times this tour (two nights at Ryman, two at Red Rocks, LA Theater, San Diego, Tempe) and me finally getting bored hearing the same songs over and over and over. Jeff was talkative, but I didn't think the band were really that into this show compared to others I've seen this tour. They seemed tired and a bit bored, especially on the new songs. I think they might be about ready to end the Whole Love tour and move on to something else, or maybe its me who is ready for them to do so. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing really wrong with this show, but to me it wasn't exceptional or intense. I did think the crowd was good and into it, standing most of the night, but in Tempe the crowd down front stood from the first note and never sat down. I loved hearing Sunken Treasure and The Lonely One but a couple rarities doesn't really make a whole show great for me. Monday and Outtasite rocked, but they didn't have that abandon and intensity that I'm always hoping for. I requested Ashes of American Flags, Wishful Thinking and Say You Miss Me and I now have a pretty good track record of not hearing stuff I request on wilcoworld.net.

I'm 99.9% sure they did not play One Sunday Morning.

indy, I confused Rising Red Lung with One Sunday Morning lol. Good call. I don't know where I came up with Red Eye and Blue to be honest. Thanks for the corrections. I also have tickets to the show in in Palm Desert and at the Hollywood Bowl. Though i'm starting to reconsider the Hollywood Bowl show because it's a Sunday night and I live in Phoenix. I love that venue though.

Have they been ignoring Wilco the Album regularly? I approve. It's the only album I don't spend much time with and I like Solitaire and Country Dis. but the rest of the album does little for me.

Yeah, it seems every Tucson show has an odd vibe to them. Almost too relaxed. Several of us near the front center kept trying to stand up early on, but it didnt' work out until Germany. It did seem Jeff was irrated at certain people up front even telling a guy who was taking photos to get out/move away from him. The ushers were going after anyone with any sort of camera, including cell phones.

The lighting was amazing, like the show at ASU and then ending was different, but amazing as well. They went into a drone, then one by one, they would stop playing their instrument and wave, then walk off. The stage crew walked on and started to shut off the equipment. I have never seen a rock show end in such a fashion.

After the show, I was telling Pat and Glenn how the ending was like a Coen Bros ending. Stories don't always end with a bang, sometimes, they just slowly fade away or stop in the middle of sentence.

Here's the full setlist, in order via wilcoworld.net:

01 - Misunderstood

02 - Art of Almost

03 - I Might

04 - Sunken Treasure

05 - One By One

06 - Impossible Germany

07 - Born Alone

08 - Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)

09 - Rising Red Lung

10 - Jesus, Etc.

11 - Handshake Drugs

12 - War On War

13 - Radio Cure

14 - Whole Love

15 - Box Full of Letters

16 - I'm Always In Love

17 - Heavy Metal Drummer

18 - I'm the Man Who Loves You

19 - Dawned On Me

20 - A Shot in the Arm

Encore:

21 - Hummingbird

22 - Christ for President

23 - Walken

24 - Monday

25 - Outtasite (Outta Mind)

26 - The Lonely 1

Yeah, it seems every Tucson show has an odd vibe to them. Almost too relaxed. Several of us near the front center kept trying to stand up early on, but it didnt' work out until Germany. It did seem Jeff was irrated at certain people up front even telling a guy who was taking photos to get out/move away from him. The ushers were going after anyone with any sort of camera, including cell phones.

The lighting was amazing, like the show at ASU and then ending was different, but amazing as well. They went into a drone, then one by one, they would stop playing their instrument and wave, then walk off. The stage crew walked on and started to shut off the equipment. I have never seen a rock show end in such a fashion.

After the show, I was telling Pat and Glenn how the ending was like a Coen Bros ending. Stories don't always end with a bang, sometimes, they just slowly fade away or stop in the middle of sentence.

They ended the Hollywood Palladium in this fashion. I highly enjoyed it.

They ended the Hollywood Palladium in this fashion. I highly enjoyed it.

The first show I saw them at Tampa in 2002 ended this way - they ended with Reservations and each took a turn acknowleging the audience and walking off stage. This was the first ending before the encore, but was very cool.

Tucson Convention Center Music Hall / Tucson, AZ / 19 Sep 2012 setlist:

Misunderstood

Art Of Almost

I Might

Sunken Treasure

One By One

Impossible Germany

Born Alone

Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)

Rising Red Lung

Jesus, etc.

Handshake Drugs