Conversely: Bands/artists that you used to hate, but now you love 'em!

Or that you at least like a lot...

And, what changed your mind?

When I was a metalhead in my early teens, I hated anything synth-based on principle. But, now that I've gotten over that, I have come to love

The Smiths

And yes, I know that there are no synths in any Smiths songs, that Johnny Marr had a very no-synths aesthetic, but I think that the pure fey-ness of the band just somehow implied the presence of electronics to me.

And now, I also know that they were phenomenal and I regret not being into them when they were still making music together.

Green Day. Never hated them, per se, but never liked them much. I enjoy their stuff now. Guess I was just judging them on the first couple hits off of Dookie that I was sick of hearing back in the late 90s. It's a good album, though.

Same with Sublime. Some good music there.

Both of these decisions arose from being with a chick a little younger than me and her turning me on to the less radio-friendly body of the bands' work.

Wilco. I hated them, then in 2003, someone gave me a live recording from 2002, then I fell in love with the 2002-2004 era. Now, with Nels aboard, not so much. And so it goes.

Boston. Never liked 'em much but came around to appreciate the sheer build and momentum in "More Than A Feeling" era songs.

Bruce Springsteen. Had a job at the mall in high school and they used to play these Top 40 mixes all the time. "Glory Days" and "Pink Cadillac" were in heavy rotation. Later my husband made me listen to "Born to Run" one summer on vacation in New Jersey and that was all she wrote.

The Beatles - Not so much hate as it was lack of exposure. My house growing up was pro-Stones, so we listened to the Stones. Any mention of the Beatles was met with much disdain from my older brother (the guy who controlled the stereo for the first 10 years of my life. As a teenager, my cousin ran the Beatles into the ground with us. He was all about the Beatles and we hung out daily listening to music(my twin ruined the Cure for both of us...I ruined the Smashing Pumpkins for both of them). It wasn't until my late teens/college when I started to appreciate them.

Oasis - Again, my cousin's doing. He was all about Oasis and ran them into the ground. When I went to college, I started jamming out to Oasis quite a bit.

A LOT of the bands already mentioned would be ones that I've grown more fond of. The Smiths are one of the few that I think I actively disliked and like (thought not love) now.

Springsteen and GnR in particular. I'm not a Deadhead, but I really like listening to them and I used to dislike them quite a bit.

Janes Addiction: Somehow when I first heard 'Nothing's Shocking' I couldn't stand it.

Early Mercury Rev: Couldn't stand any pre-'Deserter's Songs' albums but love em all now. Actually think 'See You on the Other Side' may be their best record.

Scott Walker

Yeah, I moved his first four albums off and on my ipod quite a bit before they finally sunk in.

Early Mercury Rev: Couldn't stand any pre-'Deserter's Songs' albums but love em all now. Actually think 'See You on the Other Side' may be their best record.

Few things make me happier than "Sudden Ray of Hope."

Yeah, I moved his first four albums off and on my ipod quite a bit before they finally sunk in.

Few things make me happier than "Sudden Ray of Hope."

Everlasting Arm/Racing the Tide/Close Encounters is a great run of songs. The versions on the John Peel Sessions album are also stunning. Looking forward to a new Rev album next year.

Grateful Dead - Made the assumption that it was hours of endless and boring noodling with no decent songs. Then I actually listened to them.

Pretty much describes my experience except I didn't even know about the noodling. They just seemed to be this scary musical beast that I knew nothing about.

Then one day I went into a record store in the city, chose a GD album at random (having heard of none of them) and asked to listen to it first - something which I never do in record stores. The guy popped American Beauty into the player, "Box of Rain" came on and I was transformed. Still one of my all time great musical moments standing there in the store and hearing this music soar through my brain.

Never looked back.

Exactly! And the noodling, in my experience, is rarely boring.

Even when it is I still dig it. When you're diving for pearls sometimes you just come up with clams. But we appreciate the effort anyway.