Today, my family buried my mother.

She had suffered a massive stroke seven years ago, and she was unable to speak and paralyzed on her right side.

My father...my devoted, steadfast, ever faithful father made it his mission to keep her as comfortable as humanly possible and cared for her in our family home for seven years.

I have learned many things in my life, but my father has shown me how a real man acts. No posturing, No whining. No asking for sympathy. Simply doing the right thing. As difficult as it was, he cared for her.

She died three days after her 81st birthday, in her home.

Luckily, my daughter, wife and I were able to see her the weekend before.

Although she had no ability to speak, she was able to communicate joy and displeaure.

My mother had a great degree of dignity and radiated love and concern. She never lost her beauty, although the seven years had been really hard on her.

I love her dearly and will miss her for the rest of my days.

So sorry for your loss, Crow. I lost my father this year after a much shorter illness (he was diagnosed in December, died in April).

I always knew this, but it was confirmed for me by the things people said to me after he died: good dads are hard to find. Having two wonderful parents is a thing of beauty. As sad as we are right now, we are the lucky ones, that we were raised by these people.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Crow. You've written a very moving tribute to both of your parents--you've done them proud. From what you have posted before about your son it sounds like you're following in your dad's footsteps.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Crow. You've written a very moving tribute to both of your parents--you've done them proud. From what you have posted before about your son it sounds like you're following in your dad's footsteps.

I will be lucky if I am half the man my father has proven to be.

My most sincere condolences, man. I truly understand.

In April my Mother lost her 14 month battle with cancer. The last month she was at home, when it became apparent that there was nothing medical magic could do. On the last day she was surrounded by all her family. She wasn't ready to go, she was fighting it because she didn't think we were going to be ok without her, I guess.

My Dad stood over her and literally TALKED her over to the other side. Just kept reassuring her that we'd be ok. She hadn't opened her eyes in 3-4 days, then suddenly she opened her eyes REAL wide, looked around the room and saw everyone, then took her last breath. It was the most profound thing I'm likely to ever see.

I was never more proud of the old man than I was at that moment. STRONG.

My most sincere condolences, man. I truly understand.

In April my Mother lost her 14 month battle with cancer. The last month she was at home, when it became apparent that there was nothing medical magic could do. On the last day she was surrounded by all her family. She wasn't ready to go, she was fighting it because she didn't think we were going to be ok without her, I guess.

My Dad stood over her and literally TALKED her over to the other side. Just kept reassuring her that we'd be ok. She hadn't opened her eyes in 3-4 days, then suddenly she opened her eyes REAL wide, looked around the room and saw everyone, then took her last breath. It was the most profound thing I'm likely to ever see.

I was never more proud of the old man than I was at that moment. STRONG.

The same thing happened when my father passed away two years ago. After several days of complete unresponsiveness, he opened his eyes and gazed at my mom before he took his final breaths. Truly profound.

Crow, may you find comfort in a lifetime of good memories, family and friends.

Just saw this. So sorry to hear of your loss.

Love and sympathy to you and your family, Crow.