You guys scare me a bit. Will it get old?

theres a huge difference between dissing a band and speaking critically. i see a lot of the latter here, not so much the former. dissing a band to get a reaction is tacky, merely expressing negative thoughts is not.

again, why would you think jeff is so sensitive that he couldnt handle reading negative posts here? no way is he deluded enough to believe every wilco fan likes all his songs. id think he'd like reading the negative posts more than the positive, but thats just me. at the end of the day he's gonna write the songs he wants to write, but i dont see why he wouldn't want to know which songs people dig and which they're not too into.

I guess Jeff can get on to defend himself, not me.  He does a pretty good job of that.  I was just saying he used to read this shit. Hopefully he has better stuff to do nowdays. 

What's wrong with Start Me Up?

Nothing that a few Microsoft commericals didn't fuck up.

LouieB

Well, I'm the one who mentioned using IG as a piss break, so I'm glad I wandered into this thread to defend myself. :lol

Seriously, I am often appalled at how some fans rank something other than YHF or BT or ST as their top Wilco album...but that is just me. I like some things better than others, just like anyone else, and my preference is for Wilco's 1994-2002 material...a pretty big stretch, eight years long. But then, I have been listening to them since about 1998.

I realize that 2002 was 11 years ago, and that that is the early part of the band's career. It's just what I prefer. I'm not devastated if I go to a show and they play a lot of post-2002 material - I expect it - but I am most thrilled with that era, and that's what I go to shows to hear. If I went to a Wilco show and they played nothing from A.M., BT, ST or YHF at all, I'm not sure I would go see them live again. On the other hand, I enjoy hearing some of the more recent material in a live setting, so who knows...

I have over 50,000 songs on my iTunes, and only a tiny percentage of it is Wilco. As much as I love them, I don't listen to them all that much these days, but when I do, it's from that older era. However, being a fan(atic), I support the band by going to their shows and buying every new release, sight unseen (or sound unheard). That's just how I roll.

By the way, I love the Stones, and I would rather hear Start Me Up than IG any day of the week.

Think of it as a long term relationship with a man/woman.  At first you are head over heels in love.  Then after a while you still love that person to death, but you are no longer "in love" with them.  Every once in a while, something happens to make you fall back "in love", but eventually the head over heels "In love" feeling starts to fade.

I have been listening to Wilco since 1996.  I haven't seen Wilco live in over 3 years, and don't plan to anytime soon.  But ever so often I will hear them on the radio, or catch a live tune on concert TV, and I get all giddy like a school girl... If only for a moment. 

or maybe you're just a stalker.

seriously, like any body of work from any artist, in real time we're all probably toooo close to it. and whatever station we are at in life has a huge influence as well.

in retrospect (not unlike relationships, winknod), perspective grows.

I appreciate the bro or brotha who started this thread- great discussion, too. we all love music- that's cool- and there are few things better than being introduced to an artist or band at some point in their career, and having the pure pleasure to explore their equally awesome back/front catalog: example- my first clash record was London Calling in 79 or 80.. My first Steely Dan record was the twofer Greatest Hits- i'll guess 1980.. My first springsteen was Born to Run.

Being able to grab all that back catalog stuff as my paperboy/ lawn money increased was like willie wonka handed over the keys. Enjoy.

I love Wilco dearly but I have many piss break live songs

Spiders

Shot In the Arm

Jesus

Im Trying to Break Your Heart

Heavy Metal Drummer

Louie B covered it well in the first page. I go through cycles on all bands I love. I usually lose interest if I can't see a band live anymore or they haven't released any new music but I will still always be sentimental and even bands I can't stand anymore that I used to love (Aerosmith) I still reminisce about the good old days when an old song comes on.

Spiders

Shot In the Arm

Jesus

Heavy Metal Drummer

I hate to say it, but the only one on that list that is officially considered a "piss break" song is Jesus, etc., and even that is being reviewed to be taken off the "piss break" list. Sorry.

Spiders

Shot In the Arm

Jesus

Heavy Metal Drummer.

I'm sorry to hear that - you seem particularly afflicted. Maybe this will help you and fellow sufferers on this thread.

Spiders

Jesus

I love the piss break song topic. That should be a separate thread.  Spiders was good piss break until the band finally changed it up recently and dropped some of the Krautrock trappings.  But man, Jesus Etc. is still one of my faves even after all these years. 

LouieB

I've been into Wilco since 2001, and in all that time have only ever had a short period of a couple of months where I didn't listen to them at all (mostly between SBS and W(TA) where I was focused on seeing other bands live and listening to new records). Wilco has been in constant rotation for me since I first got into them, and especially after I started seeing them live. I was 4 years into being a fan before I got to see a show, and I think that's part of what keeps the magic alive, going to shows, being apart of that experience. 

Bbop taught me a little trick with a bit of plastic tubing that keeps him at the top of his game, though sometimes i do feel guilty about ruining an innocent lady bystander's handbag.

:lol

It's a function of the immediacy and proliferation of music, information and media.

Familiarity breeds contempt at worst and at best leads to fatigue.

Wilco is still a great band, but a lot of us spend way too much time thinking about what should be instead of reveling in the moment. (And I point to my self as a prime offender.)

That is because the moments are too readily accessible. Having every song and almost every live performance available at the stroke of  a computer key, overexposure to something you love is inevitable.

Ripthisjoint908, enjoy your Wilco passion. I miss mine. I got obsessed and overdid a great thing, and now I don't have nearly the level of interest that I did a while back. Catch them live whenever possible! I'm so glad we have Solid Sound this year to roll around in the Wilco love for a couple days in a row and rekindle the flame!

What's wrong with Start Me Up?

I actually laughed out loud.

Thanks Sir Stew

I find I am not so excited about new groups in general, but continue to be interested in groups where I know the band members even a bit personally.  Since I feel like I know Wilco a bit personally I still like what they do.  We have lost  plenty of VCers who simply don't care for Wilco any longer, but meanwhile we pick up new obsessive fans.

LouieB

Sure it gets old; you will grow old too. Live in the present moment and love loving it. You probably won't feel this way about a band too many times in a lifetime.

+1

Living in the present is prolly the key to happiness.