Michelle Shocked - born again, homophobic bigot?

She is committing career suicide. She had a decent little fanbase, I would imagine, although she never reached mass audiences. Most of her fanbase is people from the LGBT community.

Imagine if Ellen Degeneres came out and said, "This was all bullshit. And by the way, God hates fags." It would devastate people, and make her extremely unpopular. This is worse, because Michelle Shocked has to rely on touring for her income, I would imagine. She ain't selling millions of CDs. Worst of all, it appears it may be all based on self-loathing, denial, etc.

She may have gotten married to a man at some point, but her history points to bisexual at the very least.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about MIchael Richards entirely.  He thought it was funny and clearly it wasn't

Jason Molina was a suffering from his own form of mental illness and paid the ultimate price by drinking himself to death.

We don't know what Michelle Shocked problem is but clearly she has one.  It is easy enouugh to dismiss her outburst as a conscious decision to embrace a hateful worldview, but we don't know that it isn't a symtom of some more deep seated and serious mental disturbance. 

That's all I am saying, nothing more.  Clearly it is impossible to condone her rant, but it may well be a personal issue as serious, but less deadly than the one Jason Molina was confronting.

edit back at Mr. Heartbreak - As I said on Facebook yesterday, she clearly traded on her bi - image early in her career, so however she has fluctuated between gender identities, I think it is clear she has never setlled on what hers was. 

LouieB

edit back at Mr. Heartbreak - As I said on Facebook yesterday, she clearly traded on her bi - image early in her career, so however she has fluctuated between gender identities, I think it is clear she has never setlled on what hers was. 

LouieB

Yeah, in a lot of ways, that makes it more disturbing and confusing. Was it deliberately provocative but not sincere? Seems unlikely. Was it based on self-loathing? Maybe. In any case, it had to feel like a real gut punch to the fans, especially those who experienced it first hand. And any catharsis she may have felt will quickly be outweighed by the huge negative feedback and immediate career consequences. I don't remember any event similar to this. It's like there's really no precedent.

Exactly.  For those who remember Michelle from her heyday, she was an alt-rock (what indie rock was called back then) darling, The Texas Campfire Tapes were a sensation of lo-fi and small artist winning a plalce in the major label game.  Then she put out a series of critically aclaimed albums.  (It is also forgotten that when she corraled Uncle Tupelo, she also got the Band on board with that tour.) 

IT's all a mystery.

LouieB

What's so funny about this state of mind is that, for all intents and purposes, gay folks have been getting 'married' since the beginning of humanity. And what do you know, the world hasn't ended. This is almost clinically psychotic behavior; completely out of touch with reality.

This is almost clinically psychotic behavior; completely out of touch with reality.

Psychotic? While it's misguided in many peoples' minds, there are a lot of people that agree with her. It's a pretty popular sentiment among many hard-core "Christians," actually. I'm not agreeing with her, but I'm not sure thinking that way deems one clinically psychotic and completely out of touch with reality. 

I find this whole thread absurd.  I dont agree with anything she said. However, I have been to many concerts where I cringe at the asinine, stupid, obnoxious comments from band members who think their ability to play an instrument or sing grants them fundamental wisdom and knowledge about politics and any other topic. I want to hear music. Shut the hell up and play.

The whole thread? Even this:

"I dont agree with anything she said. However, I have been to many concerts where I cringe at the asinine, stupid, obnoxious comments from band members who think their ability to play an instrument or sing grants them fundamental wisdom and knowledge about politics and any other topic. I want to hear music. Shut the hell up and play." ?

I find this whole thread absurd.  I dont agree with anything she said. However, I have been to many concerts where I cringe at the asinine, stupid, obnoxious comments from band members who think their ability to play an instrument or sing grants them fundamental wisdom and knowledge about politics and any other topic. I want to hear music. Shut the hell up and play.

Steve Earl comes to mind with his anti-death penalty rants. Just shut up and play!!

The whole thread? Even this:

"I dont agree with anything she said. However, I have been to many concerts where I cringe at the asinine, stupid, obnoxious comments from band members who think their ability to play an instrument or sing grants them fundamental wisdom and knowledge about politics and any other topic. I want to hear music. Shut the hell up and play." ?

Unless you are the Boss...then we want to hear the story how your dad was waiting at home for you when you stayed out late and told you to cut your hair.

Being curious I read the material she allegedly wrote and it makes no sense either way.  I don't care about her evangelical, penticostal, or any other religious belief she holds, that's her business, but if she said was misconstued, her follow-up is about as clear as mud. 

And as I have said before, I don't care if musicians talk politics, religion or spout stupid bullshit during a show.  That may be something they want to do, but clearly she hasn't really thought this out very well and seems highly conflicted. 

All this reminds me of the late caeer of Phi Ochs when he started going off the deep end because of bouts of manic depression.  I have no idea if she has an issue of this sort (I sort of think she may), but clearly she has lost some focus.

Regarding Steve Earle.  Anyone who goes to one of his concerts should know in advance that he is going to go off on that kind of a rant and not go if that bothers them. 

LouieB

Regarding Steve Earle.  Anyone who goes to one of his concerts should know in advance that he is going to go off on that kind of a rant and not go if that bothers them. 

LouieB

He should of respected my right to attend a free concert he was being paid to play at by the Old Town School. Last time I'll see him for free, thats for sure.

He should of respected my right to attend a free concert he was being paid to play at by the Old Town School. Last time I'll see him for free, thats for sure.

You'll be paying for now. Steve Earle is awesome live. But, I get your point. Don't go if that shit bothers you just as anyone else doesn't have to go see Michelle Whatever if her shit bothers you.

how does talking politics on stage not respect your right to attend a show? 

also, "should have" not "should of"

Cant we put that all stuff aside for a few hours and rock out? Thats all I'm asking.

Also, I acknowledge your correction.

Lammy, I'll let you pay for my next Steve Earle ticket. Its only fair.

Cant we put that all stuff aside for a few hours and rock out? Thats all I'm asking.

Also, I acknowledge your correction.

Lammy, I'll let you pay for my next Steve Earle ticket. Its only fair.

I can tune most of that blathering shit out. 

I think you've cost Lammy enough money in this lifetime already.

HA!

To be clear: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of any so-called faith preaching intolerance of anyone. Again, anyone: straight or gay, believers or not: that's the law.

That means upholding my punk rock values in the most evangelical enclaves and, in this case, speaking up for the most fearful of fundamentalists in, well, a San Francisco music hall full of Michelle Shocked fans.

That's an odd sentiment.  Certainly she should be able to support anyone's right to speak what they believe, without feeling the need to present those beliefs as her own simply to challenge the orthodoxy of wherever she happens to be speaking.

I had this experience once.  A guy I worked with said he was a big Steve Earle fan, which surprised me because he was on the conservative side.  We went to see Earle and when the rants started this guy was shocked.  At one point he even turned his back to the stage.  After the show he said that he wasn't sure he could listen to Earle again.  

Steve Earle's political views during a concert as as much a part of his act as others who do their greatest hits, playing new material no one likes, guitar solos, telling bad jokes or engage in long rambing  stories or do anything else they consider entertaining. Simply because you pay for a show doesn't mean you get to decide what the person on stage gets to do.  You can walk out, but really you buy into the performance once you pay for it. 

There isn't any way Steve Earle is giong to just shut up and play hsi songs (some of which are highly political anyway, as we all know).  At this late date I can't believe we are still debating this.  Homophobic rants aren't very entertaining to most people (some might consider it fine however), so clearly most of us would pass on seeing Michelle Shocked in the future.

LouieB

Michelle Shocked Dropped from Telluride Bleugrass Lineup after Alleged Anti-Gay Rant (Many Venues Have Done The Same)

http://www.relix.com/news/2013/03/20/michelle-shocked-dropped-from-telluride-bleugrass-lineup-after-alleged-anti-gay-rant-many-venues-have-done-the-same

Speaking of artists sharing their political opinions, here is a relevant letter to the editor published in the Belleville newspaper yesterday...

I was raised in Belleville and still happily reside in Illinois. Over the last few decades, I've had the good fortune as a member of the band Wilco to play music in every state in the union and in countless other countries. In my travels, I've witnessed firsthand that gay and lesbian couples want to marry for the same reasons all of us do -- to share a lifetime of commitment. I feel very strongly that everyone should be able to marry the person he or she loves and enjoy the dignity and respect that comes with that commitment.

By excluding same-sex couples from marriage, our state saddles them, their children and itself with second-class status. That is wrong, and it hurts Illinois families and businesses.

Nine other states have already extended the freedom to marry to gay and lesbian couples. I work and have friends in all those states, and I can say assuredly that it's time for Illinois to join them. Waiting and sending the signal that we're not open to and supportive of that community is a big mistake. The time is now.

I hope you'll join me in calling on the Illinois General Assembly to give same-sex couples the freedom to marry by supporting SB 10.

Jeff Tweedy

Chicago